PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy a 87 250r

kiesta00
04-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Hey guys, I've been thinking of buying a 87 250r. The current owner has it setup for MX mostly, he says the engine is bored .10 over (not too sure), high compression piston, 38mm carb, runs on 50/50 mix of c12 and 93 octane...full race suspension setup. He's asking $3000, but he said he'd drop down to $2500 so I definitely don't want to pass this bike up. My question is should I rebuild the top end, just to make sure all of the parts are good before anything catastrophic happens? I was checking out the ESR cylinder kits and would like to go to a 310 trx9 cylinder...should I wait or just go ahead and do this now? Thanks

kiesta00
04-10-2006, 10:53 PM
no advice??

250r4life
04-10-2006, 11:18 PM
i guess it all depends on if you want to fork out the extra cash right now. if it is in pretty nice shape and the guy seems like he knew what he was doing, i would go ahead and ride it... if you're gunna put the 310 kit on it for sure and have the money for it, well you can go ahead and and do it now... the top end thats on there right now and the 310 are totally different, and if your bottom end is going, its going, and will only go faster with the 310 kit... it may end up being plenty fast for and you may not want/need to go to the 310... i dont know what your riding experience is, but you can always ride out the current set up, and wait till you get bored with it and wnat something more, and then do the step up..

do a compression test, if its all good, then change the fluids, go through the carb, and let her rip...