PDA

View Full Version : quad vs. dirt bike

motorsportsking
04-10-2006, 09:14 AM
I've been riding quads since I was around 6, and dirt bike for a few years. I am thinking of getting more into dirt bikes and sell the quad. My only concern is that I really don't want to end you paralyzing myself on a bike. Some people say quads are more dangerous than bikes, but I don't understand how.

So my question is, should I stick with quads or switch to bikes and take that risk?

kawasaki_ridah
04-10-2006, 09:34 AM
it's all in what you want to do, they are both dangerous. heck bout anything fun is. just keep it and get a bike too :blah:

Tommy 17
04-10-2006, 10:40 AM
a bike is 100 times safer on a track then a quad...

i've came up short on stuff on my bike and rode out of it like it wasn't even there that woulda put me in the ER on my quad...

the bikes are so much smoother and safer to ride...

motorsportsking
04-10-2006, 10:50 AM
dont you think its easier to get hurt though?

kawasaki_ridah
04-10-2006, 01:49 PM
bike doesn't make you half as tired either..

04-10-2006, 02:10 PM
im sticking with 4 wheels

Hon300ex
04-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by motorsportsking
dont you think its easier to get hurt though?

you have a false semse of security on a quad. you feel safe even when your really not just because it has 4 wheels. you go faster because you feel safer.

on a dirt bike, you know how dangerous things really are so you dont go as fast. you fall more on a dirt bike, buts its just dumping the bike over and it doesnt hurt.

400exrules
04-10-2006, 02:14 PM
yah ive been thinkin about gettin a bike for racin harescrambles instead of my 400ex. I have hardly any seat time on bikes, but they can just fly threw the woods. They weigh half as much as a quad so if you get stuck or hung up, you can get yourself out easier, or easily, you can go faster threw beat up trails than you can with a quad unless its fully setup with suspension because otherwise you have to slow down on a quad or you will be bouncin all over the place and your rear end will be gettin thrown into trees. uhhh, plus hill climbs would be easier......i had a lot of trouble with some hills yesterday at my harescramble, simply because of how tight and off camber they were. plus you have alot more lines your could take instead of havin to plow threw with a quad. Bikes can just zip right over ruts or around mud like nothin

400exrules
04-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Hon300ex
you have a false semse of security on a quad. you feel safe even when your really not just because it has 4 wheels. you go faster because you feel safer.

on a dirt bike, you know how dangerous things really are so you dont go as fast. you fall more on a dirt bike, buts its just dumping the bike over and it doesnt hurt.

ya that too, if you wreck on a quad, odds are its gonna be bad, your gonna get hurt in some way, or your gonna break somethin on the quad, with a bike you usually just fall over, big deal, get up dust yourself off and go.

Nausty
04-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by motorsportsking
I've been riding quads since I was around 6, and dirt bike for a few years. I am thinking of getting more into dirt bikes and sell the quad. My only concern is that I really don't want to end you paralyzing myself on a bike. Some people say quads are more dangerous than bikes, but I don't understand how.

So my question is, should I stick with quads or switch to bikes and take that risk?

quads **** people up. I've ridden it all since I was a lil ****! Bikes are awsome, just gotta be careful w/ the twist throttle! QUads are tanks and u get all tied up in em' easy as hell when its rolling, not to mention when u start getting crazy it tends to get a lot more unpredictable imo!

zeppelin
04-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
yah ive been thinkin about gettin a bike for racin harescrambles instead of my 400ex. I have hardly any seat time on bikes, but they can just fly threw the woods. They weigh half as much as a quad so if you get stuck or hung up, you can get yourself out easier, or easily, you can go faster threw beat up trails than you can with a quad unless its fully setup with suspension because otherwise you have to slow down on a quad or you will be bouncin all over the place and your rear end will be gettin thrown into trees. uhhh, plus hill climbs would be easier......i had a lot of trouble with some hills yesterday at my harescramble, simply because of how tight and off camber they were. plus you have alot more lines your could take instead of havin to plow threw with a quad. Bikes can just zip right over ruts or around mud like nothin
well take it form someone with both
quads are 500 times better than bikes in the woods. i actualy ride my bike alot more than my quad because my dad rides it, but when your riding threw tight sections quads can keep soooo much more momentum than bikes. trust me keep your quad unless you just want to goof off in the woods or start doing mx.

04-10-2006, 04:19 PM
I've ridden ATC and quads for 20 years.Last year I rode a bike(RM250) for the first time and loved it.Bikes are alot of fun and I do want one but I will always have a quad.

DOHC
04-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Ok take it from me i ride quads and did ride bikes, i think this is all i have to say to show what one is more fun i just sold my bike 2 hours ago and im never going back :)

400exrules
04-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by DOHC
Ok take it from me i ride quads and did ride bikes, i think this is all i have to say to show what one is more fun i just sold my bike 2 hours ago and im never going back :)

but what type of riding do u do?

motorsportsking
04-10-2006, 07:42 PM
i just mess around up north in the woods and fields with jumps and stuff like that at places i can find down in the city

pastfast125
04-10-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm always gonna be more of a dirtbiker than a quad rider. I have both and do all sorts of riding with both. Bikes are so much more fun to me, but when you get fast, IMO they are more tiring. But they also take a lot more skill to be fast on the MX track. I can keep up with anybody on our local track on the quad, but with the bike it's not quite as easy. If I had the option between a brand new 450 quad, or a brand new dirtbike 125 and up..I'd take the bike in a heartbeat.

04-11-2006, 01:47 AM
a 4 wheeler can run you over

dirtbikes will fall over

4 wheelers = heavy
dirtbikes=not

4 wheelers = fun slidin around corners
dirtbikes = EVEN MOR FUN SLIDIN!

4 wheelers= flip back on you and hurt
dirtbikes= flip back and doesnt hurt

4 wheelers =more fun to kat walk
dirtbikes= not fun to katwalk because you dont have a grab bar

hope that helps

im thinking of getting a little 2 stroke 85,125 myself

04-11-2006, 02:00 PM
get a nice trike..those are rare and i beleive takes more skill to be fast on a 3 wheeler then a bike and quad

miller821
04-11-2006, 02:04 PM
I would say ride a buddies or something before you sell the quad and buy a bike.... I used to have a bike, and I miss it now, but I know I couldn't do half the stuff on it as I can a 4-wheeler... I just feel way safer on 4 wheels, but bikes are still fun to have no doubt.

400exstud
04-11-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm always gonna be more of a dirtbiker than a quad rider. I have both and do all sorts of riding with both. Bikes are so much more fun to me, but when you get fast, IMO they are more tiring. But they also take a lot more skill to be fast on the MX track. I can keep up with anybody on our local track on the quad, but with the bike it's not quite as easy. If I had the option between a brand new 450 quad, or a brand new dirtbike 125 and up..I'd take the bike in a heartbeat.

I think that bikes are way faster on an mx track. When I was there, the quad racers couldn't keep up with the weekend warriors bike riders. The bikes just have soooo much more suspension and are soo much lighter that they can just be wipped around.

Firecracker
04-11-2006, 03:46 PM
I ride quad and honestly dont care to ride dirtbike rode couple of times here in our Yard didnt like it. Staying with my Quad. :p I just aint dirtbike material....

now my hubby is differnt,,,, he always rode dirtbikes and has a crf 450 R now.....loves it , and will NOT change over to Quads. lol DORK:blah:

My sonds ride dirtbike just because, .Dad does duh !

BUT Daughter is going after both, she dont care..

I think it really just depends on YOU, so go see wether u can try one out. Before u make a choice.

Either way, have fun and be safe !!:devil:

KY Woods Rider
04-11-2006, 07:29 PM
You're more likely to have minor injuries (bruises, cuts, sprains) on a bike because you will have slide outs and front-end wash-outs in turns. You are also more likely to have relatively serious stuff like torn ACL, broken ankle, etc on a bike due to putting out your leg in turns and your feet and legs are exposed to trees and rocks.

Although you probably won't wreck nearly as often, quads are more likely to seriously injure you when you do take a tumble. Part of it is due to weight and another part is because a quad will tumble and seems to follow you in a crash, where a bike usually just falls over and slides to a stop.

Either one can be dangerous or relatively safe though. Most of the safety depends on what you've got between your ears.

04-11-2006, 07:34 PM
But do you go as fast on a quad on a track? Do you go as high? When you hit your wheely bar on a cr250 you tell me there not dangerous.

Hon300ex
04-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by banshee91
But do you go as fast on a quad on a track? Do you go as high? When you hit your wheely bar on a cr250 you tell me there not dangerous.

wheelie bar on a cr250? thats a new one. are you talkin about a grab bar, which quads have and bike do not? you would hit your fender on a cr250. and to answer your question, people can tap there rear fender and then hit the rear brake so the front end goes down. but i have no idea what you are trying to say as far as asking a question or proving a point.

04-11-2006, 07:52 PM
I was jokeing, on a quad if you go to far back your on your wheelie bar, on a dirt bike you are skidding on the ground. I was trying to sound sarcatic.

Hon300ex
04-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by banshee91
I was jokeing, on a quad if you go to far back your on your wheelie bar, on a dirt bike you are skidding on the ground. I was trying to sound sarcatic.

o haha that is def. a benifit that a quad has!

pastfast125
04-11-2006, 08:44 PM
^^ learn how to ride and it's not a problem:D

Mxjunkie
04-11-2006, 10:37 PM
To be honest with you, I've had more injurys on bikes because it never hurt to case stuff or over shoot so I wasnt scared to try something even if I knew I couldnt do it. I mean hell I was jumping over my friends and such with a cast on my arm and I didnt think twice about it.

They get boring really quick unless you have atleast a track to ride on as well.. dunno why but I allways found my self riding just to have something to do during the day, not riding for fun because it lost its fun..

A quad limits you to what you can do which imo makes them safe

Originally posted by Tommy 17
a bike is 100 times safer on a track then a quad...

i've came up short on stuff on my bike and rode out of it like it wasn't even there that woulda put me in the ER on my quad...

the bikes are so much smoother and safer to ride...

You switched to quads because the dirtbike ended up ruining your knee, now your saying they are safe? :confused:

pastfast125
04-11-2006, 11:09 PM
man, I say, don't listen to any of us, Go ride em both, give em both a chance, see what you think. Dirtbikes, for some people arent fun untill you get good on em, that's when you have some real fun. So don't rule it out if ur not having fun right away if you fall a lot, I don't remember if u've ridden em before or not. Give it a chance and see what you like. If you can find one cheap enough and money permits, get both. Hey, if you don't like it, you could always give it to me:devil:

bwilson624
04-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Gotta stick with 4 wheels they just feel safer and more comfortable for me

omaits
04-12-2006, 06:07 AM
I am thinking of switching to bikes myself. The main reason is...I love climbing hills. If you screw up climbing a hill on a quad, it is going to roll all the way down and do tons of damage. If you screw up on a bike, you will most likely be able to lay it down. If it does tumble, they seem to take the abuse better. (no protruding a-arms or axle.) Also, hte parts seem to be cheaper.

motorsportsking
04-16-2006, 08:49 AM
well i got out on a bike yesterday... rode it and my quad... this made it even more tough lol

i like the bike bc i can go threw more stuff like the deep ruts and deep mud w/o getting stuck well my buddy rode my quad and got stuck nearly every one of them... but for some reason i think i could have more fun on a qaud, but i had a blast on the bike.

well heres what it comes down to

quad- trx 450r
bike- cfr 250x

DOHC
04-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by 400exrules
but what type of riding do u do?
trail,track and just riding with my friends hitting jumps

Hon300ex
04-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by DOHC
trail,track and just riding with my friends hitting jumps

to me, thats exactly what a dirt bike is for. there meant to just have fun with your friends. there just fun to ride in general. its up to you what you like. dirt bikes are cheaper and usually get less messed up wen you fall.

04-16-2006, 11:25 AM
i think bikes suck in trails and in any type of woods with rocks. quads have 4 wheels and stay on them easily, and you can rie on any two wheels you want in the woods and you probably wont flip (2 rear wheels, side wheeles) if you know what im saying??...bikes, you have one wheelie to fuc* up on. u can easily hit a tree stump or a rock with a quad and roll right over it, but hitting that with a bike, you will fall on ur ***** and if the bike falls on you...its not fun

imo, quads are much more fun in the woods, trails, fields and track. i see a lot more dumps, crashs and falls with bikes especially in the woods

take it from me...i ride both

quads, imo are much more fun, you can go much faster and do more things with it. they are better then bikes in many situations...

just my 2cents

yellowzo3
06-03-2006, 03:39 PM
sorry to bring back an old thread...but i figured why start a new one when theres some good info in here and this kind of relates to the topic...

so i just have a question...are dirtbikes easier to jump than quads? the reason i ask is because of the weight difference and landing on all 4 wheels perfectly is hard is some spots...i dont ride dirtbikes so sorry if this is a ridiculous question..Thanks.

redlineranger
06-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
sorry to bring back an old thread...but i figured why start a new one when theres some good info in here and this kind of relates to the topic...

so i just have a question...are dirtbikes easier to jump than quads? the reason i ask is because of the weight difference and landing on all 4 wheels perfectly is hard is some spots...i dont ride dirtbikes so sorry if this is a ridiculous question..Thanks.

im gonna say yea, dirtbikes are alot easier to jump. at the face of the jump you only have to follow the front tire on a dirtbike. the 4wheeler you have to hit it just right or you'll prolly cross rut, and we all know what happens if you cant save it:scary:

but anyways back to the dirtbike vs quad part. i look at it as what ever you start out riding on, thats what rider you'll be. i started on 4wheels and i'll be 4wheels for life. i like dirtbikes and think there cool and all, but i bust my *** everytime on one. like i rode a friends 125 at the local track, and i was going into a long sweeper turn, and tried to get some pipe and it just wrapped around on me and fell over. thats when i said " thats why i ride on 4 wheels"