PDA

View Full Version : A-Arms, how to remove bolt

johnsls
04-10-2006, 07:24 AM
I don't have pics but I was trying to remove my a arms this wknd and was trying to remove the bolt with the little rubber boot on it. (sorry about the stupid names I call them)

I ended up cutting the little rubber boot thingy, now I definately need to get this off to replace.

I tried to locate this in the how to's but could'nt find it..

Please help.

redrunner
04-11-2006, 10:00 AM
I assume you are talking about the ball joints that are at the ends of your arms that attach to your spindle that the wheel mounts/spins on?
If you have stock arms and cut the boot your kinda screwed, do a search for ball joint boots and see what you get, I have some place that has some replacement stuff but...

Then do a search on ball joint removal, lots of stuff I don't want to retype.

aviator4
04-11-2006, 12:32 PM
If you've ripped the boots on the stock A-arm ball joints, you can replace them, but for the cost, you might as well replace the whole A-arm with stockers.

Ball joints require a tool to remove. Some guys say that they are beat on 'em with a big hammer and get them to come off, but I've never really had any luck with that.

I use a piece of 2" or 3" square tubing to do mine. Remove the castle nut, put it back on backwards (with the castles facing AWAY from the end of the bolt, put a piece of square tubing on there and then use the castelated bolt to push against the tubing (like you were removing it again) - should pop the joint right off. For the other ball joint (once one has been removed) use a deep socket instead of the 2" tubing. remember to turn the castelated nut over first!!!

stupid driver
04-25-2006, 08:35 AM
it takes a TON of patience to get them off with a hammer. Your best bet is to go rent the special tool from a dealer if you plan on keeping your a-arms.

Fursphere
04-25-2006, 09:10 AM
You need a ball joint removal tool.

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/OTC-6535.html

It'll look like that. I do not know if that one is small enough for ATV ball joints, I just did a google search to show you what it looks like.

If you are SUPER careful, you can spin the nut to where its even with the end of teh threads, and tap it off with a hammer, but you risk damaging the threads.

redrunner
04-25-2006, 10:47 AM
I saw here that IShock makes a nice little tool that they include in their kits....

JW450R1
05-01-2006, 04:52 AM
i've placed a lot of a-arms and ive always smacked spindle with a hammer.it takes about 3 smackes.the ball joint is tappered into the spindle.it's really not that hard.thats only my opinion thou

pitchblack400
05-04-2006, 09:04 PM
yeah, just dont be afraid to hit it hard, but dont beat anything flat, they will come out fairly easy.

HDUSA
05-08-2006, 09:44 AM
http://www.hydrodynamicsusa.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=28_30&products_id=36&osCsid=bcabddc6196079ca6667f37fe82441ee