PDA

View Full Version : fuel leak?

Brandon400ex
04-10-2006, 05:38 AM
Hey. I'm new here and new to atvs. I recently bought a 2002 400ex and have been riding lately. Yesterday I noticed it started sputtering because it was almost out of gas, so I switched it to reserve until I got to the gas station. Well I started to fill up, and half way through the fill up, i remembered I was still on reserve, so I switched the fuel back to "on". Well before I finished pumping the fuel, there was gas leaking out of this small tube that was slightly hanging towards the bottom of the bike. So I rushed home with the leak and stored it with the fuel turned "off" because it was getting dark. Why is it draining out of this tube? Could you help me out? Thanks!

Remember, I'm very new to this. :( Don't be harsh.

NacsMXer
04-10-2006, 05:45 AM
Most likely the float valve in the float bowl is stuck open. This happened to me one time and is pretty common so don't worry too much. A quick fix which sometimes does the trick, is to tap the side of the float bowl with the plastic handle of a screwdriver to dislodge the float valve.

If that doesn't fix it, then pull the float bowl off, remove the valve, and spray everything down with carb cleaner. Usually a dirty valve will cause it to stick on you :)

Brandon400ex
04-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
Most likely the float valve in the float bowl is stuck open. This happened to me one time and is pretty common so don't worry too much. A quick fix which sometimes does the trick, is to tap the side of the float bowl with the plastic handle of a screwdriver to dislodge the float valve.

If that doesn't fix it, then pull the float bowl off, remove the valve, and spray everything down with carb cleaner. Usually a dirty valve will cause it to stick on you :) I'll try tapping it. I really want to tear it down, clean everything, and build it back up, but I don't know much about engines. :(