PDA

View Full Version : Need some help from Women.

kyex40047
04-09-2006, 11:07 PM
Ok heres the deal. I have to write a resaerch paper for my english 111 class. It is called the Beauty Mystique paper. I must answer the question "What do women learn about themselves from the media?"

I have to look through women magzines ( I must say that was the hardest thing I have ever done) and form my own opinion and create some questions to put together a questionnaire. Then I have to give it to some women and listen to their feedback to answer the question.

What I need is some women that would like to fill these questions out.

1. When you flip through women’s magazines (Cosmo, Jane, ect.) what is it that you first notice, from the cover to the ads and articles in the magazine?
2. When you look through the magazines, do you read the ads and the articles or do you just look at the pics. and the people in them?
3. What types of women are typically in ads or articles, (physical features things along those lines) and what do you think when you see them?
4. Does it seem like the magazines are telling you to concentrate more on your outward appearance more then anything? In other words, do you find yourself saying things like “I wish I looked like She does,” or “I wish I had that dress,” things along those lines?
5. Why is it do you think society is so focused on the outward appearance of women? Is it to impress guys, other women, or just anyone they can?
6. What is that you learn about yourself from reading these magazines or from watching TV and the way women look on there?
7. What is it you feel is more important, your looks or your intelligence/personality? This is were you must be very honest with yourself. I know that everyone wants to say that a personality is number 1 but if you stop and think how much time do you spend getting ready? How much make up and/or perfume do you wear? How much do you think about the way you look or the clothes you wear? What are you really focusing on?

I can Pm or email a copy of these questions so you do not have to answer them in public if you wish not to, also you do not have to answer all of them if any of them make you uncomfortable. Let me know who all is interested

04-09-2006, 11:24 PM
do you know what 90% of woman who get beat by there husbands have in common?

they dont know how to listen!

ZING

DVXchic
04-10-2006, 04:59 AM
I really hate those magazines, they are so focusd on what you look like instead of who you are, they are completely full of makeup ads and clothing ads, all the woman are pretty and thin, and all the guys in them are cute and built, now come on, there are more average people in the world then there are glamourous.
They are a complete waste of money, and i have better things to do with my time then impress other people. The thing my boyfriend likes about me best is that i am very low maintenance, I own very little makeup and have really short hair. I feel very confident in myself and consider myself pretty without makeup.
Hope that gives a little insight, I didn't answer all the questions individually but its 7.00am and i am on my way out the door.
Maybe a girl thats a little less tomboyish can help you out more.

and thaat joke is a little rude don't you think :grr:

kyex40047
04-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Lol It seems that every woman I have talked to so far feels the exact same way you do. Which is fine, but as far as my paper goes, it really is getting me nowhere. Also that Joke wasn't even funny.

kyex40047
04-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Anyone else. I have already had one woman fill all of them out but I need more.

Iliketogofast
04-11-2006, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by DIFCO.

ZING

90% of guys that make jokes like that get laid once a year.

jason43050
04-11-2006, 06:25 AM

ZING thats a untrue statement. men who beat woman are downright stupid! man should never beat a woman! period. read the bible and you will see.

jason43050
04-11-2006, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
90% of guys that make jokes like that get laid once a year. yeah and thats by his hand......

QuadJunkies
04-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by jason43050
thats a untrue statement. men who beat woman are downright stupid! man should never beat a woman! period. read the bible and you will see.

I know I would pitty the man that EVER laid his hands on me :o :p :macho Been there.... Done that.... Went to jail defending myself... :eek: It was worth being booked for !

Yes... in return I kicked HIS sorry ***!

JDiablo
04-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I know I would pitty the man that EVER laid his hands on me :o :p :macho Been there.... Done that.... Went to jail defending myself... :eek: It was worth being booked for !

Yes... in return I kicked HIS sorry ***!

Those are very manly words you speak there QJ. :devil:

QuadJunkies
04-11-2006, 10:30 AM
LOL!
hehe sorry, but when a subject of wowen and men abusing them gets brought up, I get a little riled up :p I cant see how some Men find that its OK and acceptable t odo that to the women they supposedly Love :rolleyes: I guess its that need to feel in control maybe, hwo knows. buts its NEVER exceptable. Im very fortunate now

Firecracker
04-11-2006, 03:00 PM
I saw ure post, sense Iam brand new here I thought I respond. Also a good way for you to get to know me :)

1. When you flip through women’s magazines (Cosmo, Jane, ect.) what is it that you first notice, from the cover to the ads and articles in the magazine?

All the starving Women :(

2. When you look through the magazines, do you read the ads and the articles or do you just look at the pics. and the people in them?

Look really dont pay attention those mags dont really interest me...

3. What types of women are typically in ads or articles, (physical features things along those lines) and what do you think when you see them?
unreal figures.....If I have to starve myself and do what they do to their Body then I dont want to be skinny like them.

4. Does it seem like the magazines are telling you to concentrate more on your outward appearance more then anything? In other words, do you find yourself saying things like “I wish I looked like She does,” or “I wish I had that dress,” things along those lines?
No, I dont care what anyone looks like on the outside. Does it sometimes make me feel bad that I am not model type yeah but oh well. Like I said above I refuse to put myself through that. :)

5. Why is it do you think society is so focused on the outward appearance of women? Is it to impress guys, other women, or just anyone they can?
I think that comes from way back. before My time lol. Cause I dont know why Society is so focused on someones LOOKS!

6. What is that you learn about yourself from reading these magazines or from watching TV and the way women look on there?
What NOT to do to MY Body!

7. What is it you feel is more important, your looks or your intelligence/personality? This is were you must be very honest with yourself. I know that everyone wants to say that a personality is number 1 but if you stop and think how much time do you spend getting ready? How much make up and/or perfume do you wear? How much do you think about the way you look or the clothes you wear? What are you really focusing on?

[COLOR=orangered]personality !!! I dont wear make up but once in a great while have short Hair, and I dont do fingernails. I wear Bodyspray u can buy at any Rite aid . I dont care what I wear as long as I am comfy t-shirt and Jeans is cool for me. I focus on the Person, you can learn so much if you only listen to somone. I am actually faster then hubby getting ready hahah must be just cause I am hyper. But I am low maintance and like it that way. No fancy stuff here :). And no a SALAD wont feed me ! Where is my Steak and Fries! :D

I was also abused in many ways by my first husband so I dont care to hear statements like above and the next man thats hits me will regret it. :mad: NOMORE :devil:

kyex40047
04-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Firecracker thanks for helping me out. Nice to meet you as well.

QuadJunkies there is a friend of mine in one of my classes that was aressted for beat the s**t out of a guy that use to beat his friend. He got off with paying a $1,000 fine for assault, when he went to pay he tried to give $2,000 for payment in advance. Like you said that is one thing I would not mind getting aressted for.

Mxjunkie
04-11-2006, 10:33 PM
::: Note to self :::

Dont piss off quad junkes....

:p

QuadJunkies
04-12-2006, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by kyex40047
Firecracker thanks for helping me out. Nice to meet you as well.

QuadJunkies there is a friend of mine in one of my classes that was aressted for beat the s**t out of a guy that use to beat his friend. He got off with paying a $1,000 fine for assault, when he went to pay he tried to give $2,000 for payment in advance. Like you said that is one thing I would not mind getting aressted for. LMFAO!! Thats FABLUOUS!!!! :p :blah: :macho

Im mild tempered MOSt of the time, but I can hold my own if need be! :D

400grl
04-12-2006, 11:48 AM
To get this back on track, here are my answers........don't even get me started with the whole battered woman thing......

1. **I don't really read those, but if I do, I usually notice skincare ads and makeup stuff - hair...that kind of thing.....**

2. **I actually read the articles....usually if I'm looking at one of those it's because I'm killing time somewhere, so I usually read anything in it that's interesting**

3. **Usually beautiful women, with great bodies - no fat.....most ads are airbrushed to perfection, so even if there was a zit or anything at all wrong, they make it disappear. If you were to see alot of the models in ads in person, you would be surprised at how different they look from their ads....**

4. **Yes, obviously magazines with ads in them for beauty products will cater to physical beauty more than anything. Airbrushing, super thin girls with perfect bodies, hair and makeup all professionally done and enhanced.....it's all about physical looks. I don't try to look like them, or wish I did - it's kind of silly for a 34 year old woman to wish she had the butt of a 15 year old! LOL! **

5.** I think it all stems from men being so focused on physical beauty when they pick a girl they want to be with.....it's just how guys are, I'm not saying it's bad......I think that is where it all starts from. Girls know this....girls are competitve - again, that's just how girls are - it's their nature to compete for their man. Because girls want to look as good as they can, better than the girl next to them, in order to get the man they want......there is a HUGE market for helping girls to achieve the looks that they THINK the guys want. The guys.....after so much exposure to what the social norm of "beauty" is, nowadays expect their girls to look like the girls in the magazines. It all is a sort of snowball effect, with the ones actually getting anything from it all being the companies who sell the products that the girls want. Is that confusing? LOL!!**

6. **Mmmmm....that you pretty much are how you are, and if you don't accept it and be happy with it, then you will be unhappy until you get to that point....**

7. **I think personality is definately more important - looks will fade in time, but your personality can continue to grow!! However, I will not deny that I am the type of person who is very concerned with how I look. Stems from being teased when I was growing up about being ugly. THe boys in my school were cruel, so I grew up with a huge complex about my looks.....which I can honestly say has never totally gone away. That was a mixed blessing though - because I wanted to be a nice person, even if I couldn't be beautiful.......So yes, I do wear makeup, I do my hair, I like to look nice......pretty much all of the time - even at the track. Once I get dirty, I don't really try to fix it....but I always like to start out my day at the track looking good! LOL! I also have a husband who is 10 years younger than me, so you bet I'm not letting my guard down in the looks department!! Guys are physical - no matter how sweet and nice and devoted they are......and if your man isn't physically attracted to you, there will be issues in your relationship. I know this......and I will always do my best to look good for him and make sure he doesn't ever wish he had married someone younger! Is that superficial? Yes. Is it real life? Yes. I also work hard on being a good person, a good mom, and a good wife.....I think women can find a good balance, where they can care about what's inside, while still caring about what's outside........***

FourFiftyFour
04-12-2006, 01:40 PM

I normally look for the ads or articles that would normally help me out. Say if you had a hard time keeping your hair straight, I would look at hair straightening stuff over anything else first to begin with. I normally look at everything in order tho.

Yes if I have the time to, I normally look over almost everything in the magazine.

More on the glamorous side. I dont feel bad about myself or anything. I know how ads are made (went to graphic design school for 2 yrs) and I know what the girls look like in real life...and to be honest with you.. I think not all of them are all that as people think they are in the ads. Photoshop goes a long way guys!

Sometimes I see how her hair looks or something and wish I could get mine to do that just because I like how it looks. Or I wish I could afford an outfit or something that is out of my price range... but thats about it.

I think its important for everyone to feel good about themselves before they care about what anyone else thinks. I like trying to make myself look as best as I can when I get the chance to, just because I like feeling good!

Sometimes I get tips on healthy and beauty that I like but for the most part I learn nothing new about myself... Im just me and Im fine with that

7. What is it you feel is more important, your looks or your intelligence/personality?

I think both are important. Its important to have self confidence and if you know you look good then you will teem with self confidence. I think that helps out a lot in this sometimes intimidating world. A great personality is a must as well. So in different ways, both are important to me.

This is were you must be very honest with yourself. I know that everyone wants to say that a personality is number 1 but if you stop and think how much time do you spend getting ready?

It depends.. I have been known to take an hour and then sometimes it takes me 10-15 min. I adapt to whatever the situation or how the day needs to go. But I always try to look presentable (unless I feel like total crap)

How much make up and/or perfume do you wear?

I normally put on some everyday. But I dont use a whole lot... I havbe a more natural look with how I put on my makeup. Sometimes I go all out with it only if I am feeling "fun."

How much do you think about the way you look or the clothes you wear? What are you really focusing on?

It goes with the whole self confidence thing with me. I like looking good, but I dont have to be a priss about it either. I focus more on me looking like me. Again it also depends on what mood I am in. I dont think its a crime to be looking nice though, but I dont think life depends on it either!

04-12-2006, 03:21 PM
I can understand that.
But there is a time and a place for everything, this is not a good place to say something like that

were not at a funeral for some dead broad.

86350x
04-12-2006, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kyex40047
[B]Ok heres the deal. I have to write a resaerch paper for my english 111 class. It is called the Beauty Mystique paper. I must answer the question "What do women learn about themselves from the media?"

tHeY hAvE BOOBS:confused:

QuadJunkies
04-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Lets get back on topic peeps.. ;)

QuadJunkies
04-13-2006, 09:52 AM
Now I have cleaned this topics up some, I know that was a sensitive topicwe were on but lets keep a little more on topic so I dont end up having to close it down :)

kyex40047
04-13-2006, 09:56 PM
thank you CDaleChick, 400grl, and firecracker for helping me out.

also quadjunkies clean out your inbox

Iliketogofast
04-13-2006, 10:40 PM
were not at a funeral for some dead broad.

You sound like a 15 year old who is way overdue for an *** kicking.

QuadJunkies
04-13-2006, 11:48 PM
thank you CDaleChick, 400grl, and firecracker for helping me out.

also quadjunkies clean out your inbox lol. sorry, my bad.. you have mail :o :p ;)

kyex40047
04-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
You sound like a 15 year old who is way overdue for an *** kicking.
LMAO

Firecracker
04-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Youre welcome...

:p