PDA

View Full Version : Damn Sqeaking!!!!!!!!!!!

300EXrider02
07-31-2002, 09:11 AM
how the **** do i fix this damn squeaking from my front shocks!! u can hear me from a thousand miles away!! i tried oiling the ends of them, didnt work, wd40? or do i have to take those fuggin thing off and grease them??

07-31-2002, 02:59 PM
It may be the lower shock bushing getting worn or the grease may have been washed out in water crossings. Take the shocks off, remove the pivot collar from the lower shock bushing (metal tube the bolt goes through), use WD-40 to clean out the old grease and any dirt or rust that may be present, dry out the WD-40 with a clean rag, inspect the rubber dust seals damage, then thoroughly regrease the bushing and pivot collar, reinstall pivot collar into the bushing, and bolt the shocks back on. Be sure to use a high quality grease that can take moderate heat, pressure, and water without drying out or being washed out. I use Bel-Ray waterproof grease, but boat trailer wheel bearing grease works good too since it is made to withstand use in water. Also, there will probably be a spot on the pivot collar that is worn more than the rest of the collar, when you put the pivot collar back in, put the worn spot towards the bottom of the shock.

cdalejef
07-31-2002, 03:13 PM
Another place that will squeak is the upper steering stem bushing. Grease it from time to time.

Striker49
07-31-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Another place that will squeak is the upper steering stem bushing. Grease it from time to time.

I have both problems, but Im not takin it apart b/c I would never get it all back together correctly.

And where do I need to grease the stem at? Whenver I turn my bars it sounds like wet rubber rubbing against somin inside of it, I guess thats how you could explain the sound. It didnt happen til bout a month ago when I was ridin with my youth group from church. We were riding in really muddy conditions and thats when it happened, dunno how. Maybe the chic that was ridin with me did somin to it. :D

cdalejef
07-31-2002, 09:00 PM
Remove the 2 bolts that are on either side of the stem. Pull it apart and put some grease between the bushing and the stem.

phatswinn
08-01-2002, 09:48 AM
i have the same prob exept the squeakings coming from the lower steering things with the rubber cover on htem, ill have to get in there today and do something...

racin 400
08-01-2002, 08:18 PM
thanks for the tip jeff@the quad shop mine did that to and i did what u said and no more squeek.

JabberJaw
08-02-2002, 08:17 AM
People need to be lubed too! Take for instance my ex-girlfriend.......oops! wrong site.... forgot where I was for a second.

cdalejef
08-02-2002, 08:22 AM
Stop Jabbering!:devil