PDA

View Full Version : How to change valve seals??

2000400EX
04-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi,

I've got a 2000 400ex that needs new valve seals. Is this an easy job? Any special tools required? I'm fairly mechanicly inclined, but have never been inide a motor like this before. I have the shop manual on CD-ROM, but after glancing through it, I couldn't find how to replace the seals. How much would a dealer/shop charge to do this?

Any tips, comments, or suggestions would be great. :cool:

Thanks!;)

exrider008
04-09-2006, 06:28 PM
i need that same thing so if someone could help us out that would be great.

smitht316
04-09-2006, 07:37 PM
you need to remove the valves to do it. if you dont know how to do it, i dont reccommend doing it

2000400EX
04-10-2006, 04:37 PM
:(

F-16Guy
04-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Go to your local Checker or Auto Zone and borrow a valve spring compressor (for a smaller foreign engine if they have different sizes). It's basically a big clamp; one end holds the valve while the other has a fork that allows it to compress the spring. Make sure you mark the valves and springs (or make a template) so you put each valve and spring back into it's corresponding position. As you compress the valve spring, you'll notice two little half-circle keepers at the end of the valve stem that start to fall out (or you may have to gently grab them with a pair of needle nose pliers). Don't loose them!! Once the keepers are removed, you can carefully release the spring compressor and remove the springs, being careful to note their orientation. Next, push the valve down and out of the head. You will then be able to remove the small clip on the valve seal which attaches it to the head, and then carefully remove the seal. Repeat with the other three, making sure everything stays organized so that it goes back together the way it came apart. Reassembly is just the opposite, but you may want to lap the valves first so that you have a good seal. You can get a kit from Checker with lapping compound and a little suction cup tool. It's pretty much self explainatory, just make sure when you're done that you clean ALL of the lapping compound from everything because it is abrasive and will cause engine damage. Once the valves are lapped and the surfaces that touch between the head and the valve face have a nice, even finish, you can install the new seals and re-assemble in the opposite sequence. It really doesn't take too long, and you should be happy with the results.