PDA

View Full Version : WHAT ONE IS BETTER yam,hon or zuk

YAMAHAD232
04-09-2006, 11:52 AM
hey there I am in the market of a new bike, I ride mostly Mx and trails occasionally dunes. I have been riding since i was 5 and im 17 now. I have a banshee and a warrior and I was just wondering what youre opinion was on the best quad out there. Right now i am licking the lt-r but i heard the power wasnt as great, my first choise though is the yfz. and i really dont like honda but if it is better than the two i would get it since right know i just want something that is the best for the money. I like to get air alot and we have a couple of big table tops near my house I am also a bigger guy i weight 230 and i will ride with the stock shocks for a while till i can save up some more money to upgrade. I want the most powerfully, best handling and the the best one overall so if u guys can help, I would apreciate it thanx.

04TRX400EX
04-09-2006, 01:25 PM
It's a very opinionated question, everyone has their favorites -

Most powerful: Honda TRX450R
Smoothest power: Suzuki LT-R450

Best Handling on track: Suzuki LT-R450
Best Handling on trail: Yamaha YFZ450

Best all-around: Yamaha YFZ450

These are just the way I see things. I have a Honda and I love Honda's, but the '06 450R is very, very stiff. You are a bigger guy so it won't be that bad for you, but they need suspension help. The Yamaha is a great all-around quad that can do just about anything, and do it very well. The Suzuki is made for the track. It has a very smooth engine, and great factory suspension, but is very low and wide, so trail use could be a bit of a problem without some mods (bigger tires and protection).

dunny_mark
04-09-2006, 04:25 PM
HONDA :devil:

450r51
04-09-2006, 04:43 PM
since this was a honda based site before, your answer will be a little biased.

i would say being your weight i take it you might be above 6 ft?

if so dont go with the yamaha because they seem too small.

i'm 6-3 and weight the same as you and i fell crammed on the yamaha.

the honda is a great bike, and like posted above its the most powerful of the 06's this year.

the ltr is a great bike as well. it is set-up for mx and you wont feel crammed on it. the power is there but it could be better, and it is very smooth.

the two i would choose from is the honda or the suzuki. if i were u go to the dealer sit on both of the bikes, see how u like them.

if it was up to me i would go with the honda because of its power plant.

250R-Dee
04-09-2006, 04:52 PM
If you weren't on a budget I'd say KTM motor in a frame with 250R geometry:eek2:

With you being a bigger guy you will need to add some power to whatever quad you buy in order to be competitve. Suspension re-tuning should be the top item on your list too.

YAMAHAD232
04-09-2006, 06:51 PM
half the people say yamaha half say honda yamaha is a dohc honda is a sohc what one weights more ? whats the horse power on these ? and tourque ? and what one modded is better ? i see them go back and fourth on the mags but i like the suspension on the suzuki it looks kool but im big and need some power do you know of any changes for the 07 year ? also the fuel injection is kool u can always upgrade that and tune the ecu cant you to squeeze more ? what one has the most potential ?

Mechanix311
04-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Honda for sure. We have a yfz and it is on its way out the door. It is my stepmoms and it is a piece. It has had an easy life so far it is practically new. The only reason she bought it was because honda didnt offer electric start. It Is jetted right and it never wants to start, it almost runs the battery down trying to start it after it has sat a while and the tranny is as sorry as any other yamaha atv. I dont know why they cant make a nice tranny like honda. Suzuki's new quad looks very interesting but i have never been a fan of suzuki's attention to detail and the majority of their sport quads handle like boats. All in all i would say the 450r or the suzuki. Stay away from yamaha as you have probrably noticed tranny troubles on your warrior and banshee? Some people dont mind shooting a dune and missing a few gears with their quads though. I personally hate it. They only thing i can say that is good about yamaha is they usually have more power than honda and suzuki ie banshee and the yfz did until honda upped the score. PEACE

04-09-2006, 09:48 PM
why would anyone beat up there stuf?

i take care of mine i know its old and not the best out there but i SURE take care of it.

I WOULD GO HONDA! :D

Mechanix311
04-09-2006, 10:59 PM
First of all have you seen my bikes? They are not beat up they are mechanically intact and clean as a new bike. This YFZ is only ridden in the sand and cinders and it is ridden probrably a total of 10 trips a year. The bike is perfect in every way. Not one aftermarket part, oil changed after every weekend trip. You must remember it is a chicks bike. I will get a pic tomorrow. I can give you a pic of all of my bikes and your jaw will drop. The only thing i can give the yfz credit for is when it does start, that is if it starts before the battery dies, It runs very well.

Mojo250
04-10-2006, 09:00 AM
i am in the same boat to point, but i dont have 2 extra quads to ride :).. im looking at the yfz's hard, i like them alot, and have heard good reviews. The new Z450 is a great ready to race bike, but the top end power is not there yet, and it is a bit wide for trails.

get the YFZ

Iliketogofast
04-10-2006, 07:15 PM
It's Honda all the way. The simple fact is, and I don't care what anybody says: Anything else sucks.

Every other quad out there by any manufacturer has either a ****ty frame of an underpowered motor, save the new 450's. All the 450's are pretty much perfect, no matter where you get them.

You have to look at Honda's advantage, though: They have been doing it for a long, long time, and they have the most perfect sport quad ever built under their belts (that being the 250R).

I'd like to tell you to go out and find a nice 250R, cause they are the best you can get, but if I were more realistic I would realize that nobody is buying them anymore. Everybody wants the new 4 pokes.

But it all comes down to personal preference. If you ride the Yamaha and like it over the Honda, buy it. Most people favor the new Suzuki, but if I were you I would either ride one or wait until the new wears off so you can get an unbiased opinion.

I personally have extensive seat time on both the Honda and Yamaha, and a few rides on an R450. I prefer the Honda. Yamaha is second, and I hope R450 will be better next year.

The R450's have some serious design flaws that have yet to be worked out, while the Honda and Yamaha have been at it a little longer. That's another thing to look at.

Like I said, you really need to ride whatever your looking at and decide wether it's best for you.

prepracing
04-11-2006, 01:29 AM
I have a 125 Yamamoto quad its better than anything :chinese:

korniev
04-11-2006, 05:03 AM
I see people talking about YFZs and 250Rs being such a great f''''g quads. Guys they are great but think about 250R in stock form for example. It sucks so badly. Same with YFZ actually so If I were you I would rather think about mods. You can make a sweet quad from any stock one (YAM, SUZ, HON....etc). Get a proper suspension, try to reduce weight, increase power and you'll be better off with any quad. (O love those Japanese ones cause they ARE very reliable

Iliketogofast
04-11-2006, 05:49 AM
I wasn't referring to them as stock. One of the things that makes the R great is that with the same money you put into a 450 to give it 55 hp you gan get 65-70 out of the R.

There is way more potential in the two stroke motor, plus less weight.

Besides, you would be hard pressed to find an R without at least a pipe and air filter.

korniev
04-11-2006, 05:59 AM
Yes you are right but I think many people think that 2 stoke is being very undervalued these days however the fact is that 4 stokes are undervalued. I mean 4 stoke also can go VERY VERY fast. You are absolutely right about money to power ratio however 4 stroke can also be fast and powerful. (yes yes with more cash invested.
But in terms of day to day maintenance 4 stroke takes way less cash. I mean primarily piston, rings and so on.

Anyways 2 stokes rock if you are a jumper. I currently go on a YFZ but wish I had an R

Iliketogofast
04-11-2006, 06:05 AM
Of course four strokes can go fast too...

But what you said about the maintenance isn't really true. It has only cost me 130 bucks in engine maintenance so far and I've had it for a year; that was it's first ever rebuild....

The guy at the shop said he didn't think the motor had been open since they put it together.

It's going to cost a little more to keep up in the long run, maybe 150$ a year average.

You have to factor oil (But four strokes need engine oil changes), piston/rings every 3 years or so (about 42$ per year avg.) but that's about it.

Oil is the real killer on keepup costs. If you buy the expensive stuff you're looking at 4 extra dollars every single time you fill the bike.