PDA

View Full Version : burning my clutch cable?

Blastermax
04-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Hey Guys, not too long ago I put a Curtis Sparks Full system on my 400ex and before that I had stock headers with an FMF Pwr Core 4 Slip-on...when I changed the headers I noticed that the clutch cable went right between the 2 up towards the motor, and when I went riding I noticed that it was melting my clutch cable (stupid me I should have noticed it touching) so I bought a new cable and I was wondering wether or not there is any other way I can put it on there so it wont melt this time? Or should I just wrap it in that cloth like heat tape and would that work?
Im pretty new to 400ex's so cut me some slack if my question is kinda dumb..hah thanks!
Max

Travis712
04-09-2006, 09:32 PM
In previous threads about this, just ziptie it up out've the way. Try it out, you should be all set.:macho

atvracer980
04-10-2006, 06:42 AM
This is a very common thing- I'd wrap the cable w/ some header wrap or hi-temp resistant tape, or I think you can purchase a 300ex cable, which is longer and by-pass the headers- I'd do a little research on which cable to buy.

Blastermax
04-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Alright guys thanks for the help!
Ill do that I was just wanting to know what do to cause I just got a new motion pro cable and didnt wanna burn up another...aha thanks!

ex101
04-10-2006, 10:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken,there is a piece of metal that looks like a hook that attaches to you oil tank that keeps the cable off of the header,I had the same problem.

jiffers
04-11-2006, 12:50 AM
i suffered this problem a lot and then got a 300ex cable which is a lot longer the only down side that the inner cable sticks out the end 2.5" more than the 400ex cable so i made this adjustable stainless steel spacer now the cable is now run down the frame by the oil tank.

prepracing
04-11-2006, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by ex101
If I'm not mistaken,there is a piece of metal that looks like a hook that attaches to you oil tank that keeps the cable off of the header,I had the same problem.

yeah that piece of crap does not work, and as for zipties...theres no where to ziptie it out of the way. I have an HMF headpipe and had the same problem. The best 2 options are either by the 250x/300ex clutch cable or put something around the cable. Some people put a piece of steel braided line around that section of cable, I have a fiberglass/rubber coated heat wrap around mine and it works great. Have also heard header wrap works good to.