PDA

View Full Version : Setting LTR up for XC

Kurt Glore
04-09-2006, 10:25 AM
I have a friend who just got a LTR and he wants to race XC with it. He has asked me to help him set it up.

The first thing I notice is it is much wider than my 450R.

What do we need to do to get this to run XC? I see Yokley is doing it, wondering if anyone has any insight to the setup.

Thanks!!

KG

foxman_23
04-09-2006, 06:04 PM
4-1 offset front wheels and get some good skidplates. im running prm on mine. i race the iowa series in the A-class and won the last race by 4mins,42sec over second place. Awesome quad. Make sure he reinforces the tabs where the shock linkage connects to the frame also the steering stem is weak so think about replacing that also

TRXDresh
04-10-2006, 12:50 PM
That is awesome to hear. I am thinking of buyint an LTR with the intent of running some XC. I am glad to hear it worked well in the woods.

zeus54
04-10-2006, 01:15 PM
just to recap what foxman said i used ltz400 rear hubs on the axle to narrow the bike 3'' inches it is a good idea to use a smaller rear sprocket if you think the gearing will work out for you. i shift less with it and can still carry good power through stuff.lovin the stiff suspension i'm 185lbs with gear on and stand 5'7'' it works great for me i took all the preload out of the front and abbout all out of the rear and play with the compression and rebound as needed.

wyldelee
04-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Any other suggestions of ways to narrow up the rear besides changing out hubs?
Also any suggestions about which brand of wheels and tires,(proper offset), are working well for XC on the LTR?

KWAD GAWD
04-15-2006, 09:55 PM
4+1 wheels narrow the front 1". LTZ400 rear hubs narrow the rear 1" (not 3"). ITP wheels aren't TRUE 4+1s, they actually measure 3.5+1.5... so to get the full 1" narrow ITPs won't work.
Hipers are true 4+1 or Douglas fronts I believe are too. Rear wheels vary too depending on brand... Make sure you measure the stock offset of the rear LTR wheel first before you make your final decision on rear aftermarket wheels. You don't want to narrow it with hubs - then widen it back out with the wrong offset. That's a big waste of money.
It should be ok in the woods this way, and proper skid plating from PRM. Jeremy Rice is racing it this way. Basically stock with beadlocks and tires.
I'd have to say 20 inch rear tires are the way to go. ITP XCRs 20s measure 20.8" they are tall. The new GNCCs only measure 20", a bit smaller. I have a Sidewinder Ti-Moly front sprocket, 13 tooth instead of the stock 14. The stock gearing will be way too tall, you'd be using the clutch constantly with 20in rears.
Buy some decent bars and possibly a steeting damper...
And the Cherry Bomb and you're set.