PDA

View Full Version : basic mods for trail riding?

xtremerider
07-31-2002, 12:09 AM
what r the basic suspension/ handling mods for a 400ex. i ride trails and every once in a while i jump. please help. thanks

Ricky

Teufel
07-31-2002, 07:28 AM
Depending on your budget here are some of my ideas. Of course you don't have to do all of the mods at one time. Adding on can be a part of the fun.
replace front shocks
revalve or replace rear shock
steering damper
anti vibe stem
handle bars

As far as motor you can make improvements with a slip on, a K&N filter and some jetting work

HAPPY MOTORING

Zingnut
07-31-2002, 08:28 AM
You are basically describing the conditions I ride. The following are the mods that I have done to my 400 that have improved my ride in the woods ranked from best improvement.
Denton rebuildable steering stablizer $135.00 #1
Works Triple rate shocksw/rezzys (used) $200.00 #2
14 tooth counter sprocket $14.00 #3

I also have done most of the free mods to my 400ex. I feel the one that improved it the most was to remove the choke and add a 42 pilot to the carb. That was the only one that I noticed that improved the bikes performace (out of the free mods) besides adjusting the throttle cable correctly (thats a given).

The above mosts have made myself and the bike faster in the woods and more controllable.

I have yet to change to a new set of tires, but have rode other 400's with the holeshots and the razr's and feel that that will really improve my woods riding capabilities.

Hope this helps and shop around for the best prices, Thats my advice to a woods rider that is not to the racing level yet.

07-31-2002, 03:51 PM
Good tires will help your handling more than just about anything. I like 6 ply Maxxis Razrs best, but Holeshots would be my second choice. The 6 ply tires will ride rougher, will add weight, and will take away a bit of power since they are harder to spin due to the weight, but I think the difference in handling is more than worth it.

Aftermarket shocks (especially the fronts) and a steering stabilizer would also be on my high priority list.

Dave400ex
07-31-2002, 04:26 PM
Well I started out with Skid Plates on mine. I got a AC Full Chassis and Swingarm Skid. If I had to do it again I would get PRM or Pro-Tect Skids. My AC`s are fine and have worked Great, I would just try a different Brand.

Second I got a TC Pipe, K&N Filter with Outerwear and had my Motor Re-Jetted. This added the extra Power I wanted and needed.

Then I got a couple more small things like the AC Bumper, Shock Covers, Headlight Covers.

Then I saved for the Best Mod I have done so far, my Elka front shocks. They have mad a huge difference and I noticed I am going a lot Faster.

I am now about ready to get the Elka Rebuild and then I am gonna start saving for some OMF Race Rims with Razrs all around and as KY Woods Rider said I think and hope with my Shocks and Tires put together that will make a huge difference and I will be even Riding faster. Then I will get a Stabilizer.

Teufel
08-01-2002, 09:07 AM
Dam I can't believe I forgot the skid plates...doooohhh!!
:cool:

CranMan
08-01-2002, 09:45 AM
I was going to say better tires, maybe 22's if you ride rough terrain, and a 14t front sprocket.

Doibugu2
08-01-2002, 09:52 AM
How much and what type of benifit do you get from the steering stablizer?

Dave400ex
08-01-2002, 10:13 AM
If you Ride Trails when you hit stumps, trees, rocks, anything on the Trail the Stabilizer will take that jolt out of your handlebars making you ride faster and not get beat on as bad.

I would look at the Denton or Muscle.