PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic oil = power increase

Alberta EX
10-04-2001, 10:47 PM
I changed oil today from regular 10w30 to 5w30 synthetic and there seemed to be a increase in power, I noticed a smoother idle and when I went for a ride I could have sworn there was more power. Has anyone else noticed this?

moto93
10-05-2001, 08:41 AM
Yea, that synthetic is GREAT stuff... I use Mobil 1 in all my quads!

Just for kicks I tried some in my lawnmower. It used to take a little over a tank of gas to do my lawn now it takes a little less than a tank. It also runs smoother too!

knighttime
10-05-2001, 09:11 AM
I also noticed a power increase when I switched to synthetic.

JabberJaw
10-05-2001, 01:17 PM
That's only because your wallet is lighter :-)

Nausty
10-06-2001, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
That's only because your wallet is lighter :-)

lolol

RideRed04
10-06-2001, 10:39 PM
I just changed my oil too, and thought it seemed snappier, but I wasnt sure. Synthetic more expensive then petrol? You got that backwards my friend! You cant compare gas station petrol to mobil one synthetic.

etbtsi
10-19-2001, 06:45 AM
I have a question about the synthetic oils you are all discussing. I bought the mobil 1 full synthetic 10W-40 motorcycle oil for my atv and I am wondering about the 15W-50 that you are all talking about? Is the regular mobil 1 for the cars just as good to use? I don't want to hurt this thing and I am afraid to do anything to it because its my first brand new ATV. Thanks for your replies! :)

knighttime
10-19-2001, 07:08 AM
Use the Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil. It has a picture of a crotch rocket on the bottle. Wal-Mart sells it.

moto93
10-19-2001, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
Use the Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil. It has a picture of a crotch rocket on the bottle.

That crotch rocket picture on the bottle nearly doubles the price! I've been using the automotive type Mobil 1 for over 6 years with NO problems... why change?

knighttime
10-19-2001, 08:37 AM
The one with the crotch rocket has a little bit of a different formulation than the automotive type of Mobil 1. Save a few bucks if u like, but the motorcycle oil is better to use in a quad/dirtbike.

knighttime
10-19-2001, 08:46 AM
Taken from the Mobil 1 website (Everything u never wanted to know about freakin' motorcycle oil):

Can I use Mobil 1 15W-50 in my bike, just like I use in my car? Mobil 1 is Mobil 1, right?
Mobil 1 for cars and Mobil 1 for motorcycles are markedly different. Every oil is a balance of benefits. Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic™ Formula for cars has been developed specifically to satisfy car manufacturers' needs for increased fuel economy and low emissions.That's why new cars come with friction-modified, low-phosphorus 5W-30 motor oil. The low viscosity and the friction modifiers help fuel economy. The low phosphorus levels help protect catalytic converters.

So how is Mobil 1 for passenger cars different from Mobil 1 for motorcycles?
First, let's be clear about Mobil 1's overall benefits compared to those of conventional motor oils, whether for passenger cars or motorcycles:

Superior long-term engine protection.
Superior high-temperature stability.
Excellent low-temperature starting.
Outstanding engine performance.
Low volatility/low oil consumption.
It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:

Different base stock systems.
Different additive packages.
Different formulations to meet very specific engine requirements.

What are the overall advantages of Mobil 1 motorcycle oils?
In addition to the overall benefits listed above – specifically, high-temperature stability and low volatility/low oil consumption – Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oils also offer superior anti-corrosion performance compared to conventional motor oil, which is important in many parts of the country where bikes may sit in garages for several months of the year.

Compared to conventional oils, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have superior wear protection, engine cleanliness, high-temperature protection and lower oil consumption performance.

Once you get past these general advantages, you have to deal with each specific motorcycle oil one at a time to understand the benefits.

Okay. Let's start with Mobil 1 MX4T. What does it offer that Mobil 1 for cars doesn't?
Mobil 1 MX4T is designed for sport bikes. Most of these bikes have multi-cylinder/multi-valve engines and use a common sump, which means the engine oil lubricates the engine, transmission and wet clutch. So unlike Mobil 1 for cars, Mobil 1 MX4T has no friction modifiers, which could lead to clutch slippage.

The motorcycle oil also has more phosphorus/zinc for enhanced wear protection at high engine speeds and high loads. Remember, most bikes don’t have catalytic converters, so higher levels of phosphorus are not a problem.

In addition, Mobil 1 MX4T uses different dispersant/detergent technology for better high-temperature performance and engine cleanliness. Mobil 1 MX4T is also offered in a different viscosity grade than Mobil 1 for passenger cars.

moto93
10-19-2001, 11:21 AM
You still didn't answer my question.

I've been using the automotive type Mobil 1 for over 6 years with NO problems... why change?

knighttime
10-19-2001, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by moto93
You still didn't answer my question.

I've been using the automotive type Mobil 1 for over 6 years with NO problems... why change?

If u read the above info about Mobil 1 and still want to use the automotive type, I say go for it.:cool:

JabberJaw
10-19-2001, 11:41 AM
Because your bike might last another 6 years?

liltazz
10-22-2001, 04:09 PM
i use valvoline duroblend in all my quads and the only problem i ever had was that the timing chain snaped in my 300ex. which is not coused by auto oil

Moto92
10-24-2001, 11:19 AM
I think Knighttimes lesson on oil confused me even more, LOL.
I still dont know which one to use, I assume the motorcycle oil is the best. Does it come in different weights like car oil, if so which do we need to run...10W-40 like stock?

Moto92
10-24-2001, 11:29 AM
something else to point out is I have heard that when you synthetic oil you can never switch back to regular oil. Of course thats in a car but it cant be that much different.