PDA

View Full Version : Arm Pump 101

airheadedduner
07-30-2002, 11:33 PM
Does anyone have any good tips at reducing arm pump?? I have tried a lot of things but still have troble.

mysticfalcon
07-30-2002, 11:39 PM
the best thing i ever did to help arm pump was my works triple rate front shocks but other than that good grips and a pair of nice gloves really help.

Razorback
07-31-2002, 05:49 AM
i did two main things that have basically gotten rid of my arm pump. i put on renthal aluminum bars and a hydraulic clutch. the clutch is the best thing, but the bars help, too. i've thought about a twist throttle, but i don't know if i want to do it or not.

07-31-2002, 08:26 AM
No softdrinks/caffeine or alcohol the day of and before a race, lots and lots and lots of water,,stay hydrated. Keep a loose grip on the handlbars..not a death grip. steering stabilizers help too, keep the font end good and lubed up,,especially the steering stem bushing at the top,,,,other than that practice and arm excersices....do a search on arm pump,,,this was brought up a while back and some very good info was put into it from some good racers and riders from the site.

cdalejef
07-31-2002, 09:55 AM
Rico is right, no soft drinks! Lots of water, I drink 1/2 a gallon on normal days. 4 days before a race I will drink 1 full gallon everyday till race day. I learned this trick from Scott Summers, it is the best thing you can do to get your body prepared for a race. Another little trick I learned from him is take a couple asprin 1 hour before the race. Asprin is a blood thinner and will help to keep the blood from backing up in your forearms. This blood back up is what causes arm pump.

CBRSLIDER
07-31-2002, 12:15 PM
I was running into the arm pump problem also. I found a couple tricks that have worked for me. The others here have mentioned most of them, but here are the ones that they didn't. I rub Flexall(ben-gay) on my forearms just prior to the race. Really gets them burning and seems to help me. I also strectch out prior to the race. That includes my forearms. I try to loosen up my grip and let the wheeler work under me. Let the suspension do the work. I found a site that discusses this problem and will post the link at the bottom. I want to repeat what the others have said. WATER, WATER, WATER! I really believe in it. I drink about a gallon to a gallon and a half prior to a race. I also use a camelbak during the race with 100oz of water in it. I stay away from sports drinks. I get a stomach from them if I use them prior to the race. I use them after the race. Thats when they come in handy. Infact I have recently been drinking Pedialite(for babies) after a race for better recovery. Dosen't seem to upset the stomach and really seems to help me recover alot quicker than other drinks.

www.stanislausorthopedics.com/articles/armpumpandmotocross.htm
-Hope it works.

Sorry for the babbling, but hopefully you get something out of it that works.

Later
Ray

cdalejef
07-31-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by CBRSLIDER
I was running into the arm pump problem also. I found a couple tricks that have worked for me. The others here have mentioned most of them, but here are the ones that they didn't. I rub Flexall(ben-gay) on my forearms just prior to the race. Really gets them burning and seems to help me. I also strectch out prior to the race. That includes my forearms. I try to loosen up my grip and let the wheeler work under me. Let the suspension do the work. I found a site that discusses this problem and will post the link at the bottom. I want to repeat what the others have said. WATER, WATER, WATER! I really believe in it. I drink about a gallon to a gallon and a half prior to a race. I also use a camelbak during the race with 100oz of water in it. I stay away from sports drinks. I get a stomach from them if I use them prior to the race. I use them after the race. Thats when they come in handy. Infact I have recently been drinking Pedialite(for babies) after a race for better recovery. Dosen't seem to upset the stomach and really seems to help me recover alot quicker than other drinks.

www.stanislausorthopedics.com/articles/armpumpandmotocross.htm
-Hope it works.

Sorry for the babbling, but hopefully you get something out of it that works.

Later
Ray Thats great info. Staying relaxed is a great pointer! I tried the pedialite, it does work but it tastes nasty:blah . I was watching a mountain bike race over the weekend and those guys were drinking coke during the race that they sit out overnight so there is no fizz! They say the sugar and caffine give you energy. I think I'll stay with the water. You should drink 70-100oz out of your drink system during a 2 hour race to stay hydrated.

CBRSLIDER
07-31-2002, 02:09 PM
I usually have that camelbak just about turned inside out trying to get every last drop out of it during the race. haha I swear by the water. And ya pedialite does taste like crap. I found that the grape is not that bad and is do able. I also use these same techniques when I am practicing to help me get ready for the races. You will be able to practice alot harder if you don't have to worry about the arm pump then.

Ray

Bart
07-31-2002, 03:42 PM
This may sound stupid but if you drink that much water before a race, don't you have to pi$$ during the race? If so, do you stop or do you just go and clean up later?

cdalejef
07-31-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Fred
This may sound stupid but if you drink that much water before a race, don't you have to pi$$ during the race? If so, do you stop or do you just go and clean up later? Good point!:huh I usually go at least twice while we are up at the starting area, once the race is on, I don't have to go.

redrider808
07-31-2002, 04:45 PM
well i have been a long time buddy to the arm pump .
now i know this is gons sound nutts but what works for me is (sinus tablets) don't know how it works but it does .
a buddy of mine that has not raced in years came back a few races back took a pill and he was not pumped at all.

07-31-2002, 07:29 PM
The number one way to reduce or eliminate arm pump is to relax. Don't worry about the guy behind you or the guy in front of you, just ride and don't worry about it. Another part of this is to not fight the quad, you will not keep it perfectly on the line you want no matter how hard you try, so just keep your arms and legs relaxed and let the quad flow underneath you. You need to be working at keeping it where you want it, but don't start wrestling with it or you will wear yourself out in just a few minutes. The only time you need to wrestle your quad is if you come off a jump crooked, then it's okay to wrestle with it.

Also, keeping hydrated will reduce arm pump and cramps. I don't know if it will help arm pump or not, but if you have trouble with getting cramps, try eating a couple bananas about thirty minutes to one hour before you go to the starting line. The bananas will raise your potassium which will help prevent cramps.

MEL
07-31-2002, 07:50 PM
thanks for the info guys. any ideas on numbness in the hands?

Sparks425Ex
07-31-2002, 07:51 PM
I good steering Stabilizer and a good Pair of front shocks always help out with arm pump. I alwasy try to drink alot of water before a race. I have tried the asprin thing and it does seem to help.

Just my .02

CBRSLIDER
07-31-2002, 08:14 PM
MEL,

Do you think that the numbness is caused from vibration through the bars. Are you running aftermarket bars. If so, fill them with a silicone. I bought a tube of silicone caulking and just started pumping it into the bars until the bars were filled. It really seemed to cut down on the vibration.

Ray

cdalejef
07-31-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by MEL
thanks for the info guys. any ideas on numbness in the hands? Aftermarket steering stem with anti vibration clamps will do wonders for numb hands!

07-31-2002, 09:15 PM
don't you have to pi$$ during the race? i usually just go in my pants and blame it on my camelback leaking. or try to find a mud hole to run through and blame it on that.

I usually go at least twice while we are up at the starting area,
Whach the start of a GNCC race and the nearest wooded area is full of racers.

I think the bigest thing is be relaxed and drink water. I have also used one of those one things to work out with. you squeeze them and they make your hands and fourarms stonger. don't even

loganB
07-31-2002, 10:02 PM
If I dont drink coke I will die Im adicted I drink coke-cola befofe every race. Maby thats what is wrong. :)

chris29
07-31-2002, 11:11 PM
Eat a bannana for protein and streech your arms all day before you race. Oh yeah drink some damn water. Yeah my spelling sucks.

airheadedduner
07-31-2002, 11:16 PM
I think my problem is I have had some serious wrist injuries. I have tried a lot of what you guys have said before. It is not just on the track either, it is a problem just out on the dunes too. In fact on the track is where I have the least amount of troble, but still more then most ppl. It gets to the point that I can hardly hold down the throttle. I keep a really loose grip. About the only things I havn't tried are anti-vib stem, filling the bars with silicone, and asprin(allergic). Should I be streaching or even conditioning my wrists and forarms more???
Thanks for all the replys.

cdalejef
08-01-2002, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Should I be streaching or even conditioning my wrists and forarms more???
Thanks for all the replys. Yep, as well as streaching the rest of your body!

Tommy 17
08-01-2002, 08:12 AM
airhead i am just like u... i get major arm pump to the point i can't hold on or hit the gas with my thumb... i have to use my whole hand to hit the gas at times...

it all started back in 1997 when i broke both my wrists on my 80... ever since i broke my arms i never been able to hold on like i use 2...

i am fine if i go out and trail ride for hours at a time but if i get on a mx track 5 laps later i can't hang onto the bike anymore... i loose almost all grip in my hands and my thumb don't work at all...

my friend adam broke his right thumb playin football... if he trail rides its totally fine but when he gets on a race track it swells to the point it can't move either...

08-01-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by GNCCer
you squeeze them and they make your hands and fourarms stonger. don't even

:eek: :D

MxDale71
08-01-2002, 06:51 PM
I'm really suprised nobody has mentioned this... Are you breathing enough?

I know that sounds weird but you would be suprised at how much you hold your breath while doing certain stuff. I know a lot of people don't breath when they are mid air, and sometimes when I get into a rough section of the track thats hard to hang on in, I find myself holding my breath. If you don't breathe, you can't get any oxygen flowing and that could cause arm pump.

ridered86
08-01-2002, 07:27 PM
get one of those hand squeezy dealies they build you forearm up whitch give you more muscle so you can last longer:rolleyes:

08-01-2002, 08:10 PM
I just thought of something that I forgot to mention in my first post, grips. Believe it or not (and most of the guys who have been riding for a long time will believe it), your grips can make a huge difference in your comfort while riding and the wrong grips can contribute to arm pump, numbness in your fingers, and cramps in your hands; not to mention blisters. Don't just buy the grips you think look cool, or the cheapest ones you can find. Be sure to pick a grip that feels comfortable to you and that fits your hand correctly. Grips that are too large a diameter or too small a diameter for your hand size can make for rather uncomfortable riding. Grips aren't that expensive and aren't that hard to change, so you might benefit from trying a few different diameters, patterns (full waffle, half waffle, etc), and compounds.

And don't forget to make sure you have a bar bend that is comfortable to you and have all your levers and thumb throttle in a position that you can easily reach whether sitting or standing.

Smoker
08-01-2002, 08:58 PM
For a forearm workout get a piece of broom handle (or dowel), a piece of string and a 5-10 weight. Drill the dowel in the center and feed the string through and tie a knot, then tie the weight at the other end. Hold your arms straight out and just roll the weight up and down, going both ways with your wrists. Your forearms will turn to concrete to the point you won't be able to tie your shoes, just like when you are trying to holding onto a screaming Honda. Hydration is necessary to get rid of lactic acid in your muscles. Lactic acid is waste from cells and is what causes your muscles to pump up, cramp and get nice and sore. This is what I have been told. :p

airheadedduner
08-01-2002, 10:35 PM
I have heard of the breathing thing but never gave it much though. That could be some of it. I remember when I used to skate(which probly contributed to alot of my wrist problems) I whould hold my breath over big leaps. One of my dad's co-workers races XC on dirt bikes and he told my dad that I should be jumpropeing about an hour a day. I'll have to try it as soon as i'm able to move my shoulder.

(Quote)KY Woods Rider
I just thought of something that I forgot to mention in my first post, grips.
What grips would you guys recomend??? I have tried scot-full wafle, stock oury, and progrips- half waffle dual compound.

08-02-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
What grips would you guys recomend??? I have tried scot-full wafle, stock oury, and progrips- half waffle dual compound.

Scott Hurricane full waffle grips seem to work well for a wide variety of riders and hand sizes, and they are my choice of grips since they have always worked well for me. There are a lot of Renthal and Pro Grip fans too, but the Scott grips seem to work better for me; of course just because it works for me doesn't mean it will work for anyone else. The Oury grips seem to work best for riders with fairly large hands, since they are a larger diameter; and they are pretty soft, so with the larger diameter and softness, they tend to dampen more vibration. Many riders with small hands tend to favor grips that are a full diamond pattern, since they are usually a smaller diameter than waffle grips; but they tend to pass more vibration since they are thinner. I don't like OEM grips of any kind because they tend to be a hard compound (for durability) which causes blisters. If you find OEM grips that fit your hand well, measure the diameter of them and try to find a softer aftermarket grip of approximately the same diameter and pattern.

Nausty
08-02-2002, 10:52 PM
I just try to drink water, eat pasta the night before and maybe have some asprin or eat something before you ride or inbetween races. I actually never worry about arm pump anymore because I have to drive a hour and a half to ride and I want to ride as much as I can so I basicly ride tell I run out of time which is like 4 or more hours. Not trail riding and if it is its aggressive trail riding. But anyways I never get arm pump on quad and very rarely on bikes its always my legs that get weak actually. Oh yah I work out a lot and I think that helps.

08-25-2002, 08:14 PM
PAINT YOUR FINGER NAILS:eek:

Atomic83
08-25-2002, 08:42 PM
Very good post, I've been having trouble with arm-pump so I will have to try some of this stuff.

mysticfalcon
08-25-2002, 08:46 PM
i noticed a big help on the track with my new stering damper no arm pump till the bolt came loose and it stopped working and i noticed the next lap when i all of a sudden had bad arm pump.

Nausty
08-25-2002, 08:50 PM
whats arm pump??? is that what you get when you don't have a date?

NJ300ex
08-25-2002, 08:52 PM
Ok, talk to yourself. I just yell at myself alot. I keep saying stay loose, stay loose.... I keep a very loose grip and like someone else said remember to breath and get into a rythmn when you are riding, just forget about everything else and focus on riding and the next obstacle infront of you.

Another thing that works well for me is cross training with riding jet skis. If you have access to one find the roughest water possible and ride around standing up for a long time. Very good workout for your legs and helps develop arm muscles so you don't get arm pump. It is also tons of fun!

dabombdale
09-01-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by lrdrider1
PAINT YOUR FINGER NAILS:eek:

That is the coolest movie, Motocrossed lol, she is hot until she cuts her hair:(

mxracer08
09-01-2002, 08:08 PM
i have heard from a lot of riders that talking to yourself or singing will help keep you calm. Also that if you add salt to your water, it's supposed to help with cramps. I haven't really been able to totally get rid of it, it's just a part of it, so i don't worry about it too much.

Mxbubs
09-01-2002, 11:15 PM
Creatine Monohydrate and Lots of Water and Regular training are the best things to fight arm pump. Arm pump is actually a by product of muscle fuel being burnt-dexhoxyribose ???something something something........anyway you biology guys ought to know the word for it, a muscle fuel molecule drops an atom or something, and creates lactic acid, which in turns causes the burns, creatine monohydrate will actually link itself to the spent fuel and postpone lactic acid buildup......Mono-meaning one, the creatine adds one of whatever was lost to the molecule.......I know water helps this stuff work.......aspirin and sodium supplements will also help I do believe, as one gram of sodium will retain 50 grams of water in your body.

400exRacerX
09-02-2002, 11:30 AM
Drink lots of water a couple days before the event, make sure your front end is all lubed up, exercise your arms (I prefer to use the things you squeeze with the springs), Don't grip your handlebars like your about to fall off a cliff.

When I race I keep my mind on the race and whats going on around me, watching the guys behind me, keeping my eyes on the track, and keeping my mind focused on the race. So I usually completely forget about my arms and I end feeling the pain about 10 minutes after the race.

Doibugu2
09-03-2002, 01:49 PM
I think I had my first experience with arm pump. We rode for 10 hrs yesterday, and 3 guys and 2 cases of beer. I only had breakfast, so I was really dehydrated by the end of the day.

It got so bad at the end, that the wrist that I broke a few years back could barely even pull the clutch in to shift. I kept messing with the clutch adj thinking the cluth was getting stuck or something, when my hand wasn't strong enough to pull the clutch in.

400exRacerX
09-03-2002, 02:04 PM
Beer & riding dont mix too well.

Doibugu2
09-03-2002, 02:13 PM
can make riding interesting:p

Derek
09-03-2002, 03:30 PM
Houser just came out with this wrist rester thing. Its like a little shocks by your handle bars. It supposedly takes all the vibration out of your bars.Its at http://www.houser-racing.com (http://www.houser-racing.com/)