PDA

View Full Version : Rekluse Instalation - Help Needed

IMCanadian
04-08-2006, 06:21 PM
If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I just installed an autoclutch on my 05 TRX450R. The installation went smoothly. However I'm having an issue getting it adjusted properly.

When the bike is in gear at idle it creeps forward slightly. I tried all of the adjusments on the perch lever and still no luck. I took it apart again and test the gap and it is within spec .038".

The one thing I did notice is that even without the clutch cable connected the clutch actuator arm does not sit all the way forward (simulating the clutch lever being pulled in) It sits about about midway. When I push it forward with my hand it fully engages the clutch.

The one thing I think it could be is with step one of the instructions. "Unhook the return spring on the clutch actuator arm located on the top of your engine case." I can't for the life of me find a spring in this area. Could this be it? Am I missing something?

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

WhiteZee
04-08-2006, 06:32 PM
i dont use the perch adjuster, i think its complete crap. i completely removed the cable and got a spring and hooked one end to the actuator arm, and the other end to the mount where the clutch cable is held. it works perfect.

if you are interested in doing this, let me know, ill go take a picture of it.

IMCanadian
04-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
i dont use the perch adjuster, i think its complete crap. i completely removed the cable and got a spring and hooked one end to the actuator arm, and the other end to the mount where the clutch cable is held. it works perfect.

if you are interested in doing this, let me know, ill go take a picture of it.

So were you having the same issue as me where the actuator arm doesn't go all the way forward? If you could take a picture of what you did it would be appreciated.

WhiteZee
04-08-2006, 07:33 PM
i never really paid attention to the arm going all the way forward or not, i just didnt like the perch adjuster at all. ill go take a picture in a few.

TM426
04-08-2006, 07:52 PM
The idle might also be a little high.

madini
04-09-2006, 01:18 PM
If it's only creeping a little at idle I wouldn't worry.Sometimes I just pull in on the clutch for a second and it stops.If you were to lift the rear wheels off the ground and pull in the clutch while in gear on a stock 450R you would see a slight bit of drag due to the oil between the plates. I don't let mine sit at idle much in gear anyway so it hasn't been a problem on my 04 or my 06.Hope this helps.Call the guys at the factory,they are helpfull.

IMCanadian
04-09-2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I took it apart and put it back togther today just in case I made a mistake but I'm confident that I did it right. It doesn't creep forward now when it idles in gear but If I pick up the back wheels they do start to spin. Is this normal or does it mean my clutch is slipping? I will call the guys at rekluse tomorrow and ask them but if anyone can confirm that their bike does (or doesn't) do this it would be appreciated.

xc400ex
04-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Yeah find out the results, I have the same problem as you, and occasionally mine dies. I didnt unhook any springs either.

madini
04-09-2006, 06:30 PM
There aren't any springs on the quad.I think the bike has one though. Don't make this hard,just follow the directions over and over and,well you know. This system really works!

xc400ex
04-09-2006, 06:36 PM
There aren't any springs on the quad.I think the bike has one though

what the heck does that suppose to be mean, nobodys making it hard buddy, if a person can install this thing and its runs great except for a little creeping forward then I think they're doing alright.

xc400ex
04-09-2006, 06:40 PM
You don't know the condition of the clutch basket, friction plates or steel plates in the bike, the clutch cable or anything, so don't be saying read the manual again, it might not even be a rekluse problem.

Kev
04-09-2006, 08:02 PM
I installed mine a couple weeks ago.

Did you do any ajustment on the clutch cable donw by the motor? I had to move mine a good 1/2 inch or so from the original position. I rode the bike around ith the nuts loose on the adjuster till I got it to stop moving, then used the perch adjuster to fine tune it. Works great....

Kev

IMCanadian
04-10-2006, 11:50 AM
I spoke with Rekluse today and they said that if sitting at idle in gear and the bike is not stalling or lurking ahead then all is fine. The spinning when lifting the rear tires while in gear is just oil drag on the clutch plates and should not be a concern.

Oh and about the spring on the actuator arm I had a look at an 06 450R today and they do have a spring so I'm assuming that this part of the instructions is specific to the 06 and not the 05.

xc400ex
04-10-2006, 05:33 PM
What did they suggest for the lurking forward?

IMCanadian
04-11-2006, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by xc400ex
What did they suggest for the lurking forward?

My bike isn't lurking forward any more so I didn't ask. The cure for me was getting my cable adjusted properly and I also put in the heavier spring.

jlm996s
06-19-2006, 11:33 AM
WhiteZee, can you post some pics of your spring set up for this? I'm interested in doing the same thing.

Thanks.

rap169
06-19-2006, 03:20 PM
i have been told by a rekluse rep to adjust the gap at .030". At the most .034". You might want to try that also.

Hammer trx450r
06-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Your setup sounds normal for a new install, go ride the thing and get everything worn together then check the gap one last time. You also need to set your clutch freeplay with the bike at 3000-4000rpm. after all this is done.... Then u can play with the barrel adjustment.

The way i adjust the barrel is to stand still in gear brake on and snap the throttle. Adjust untill the bike doesn't stall under this condition.. Hope this helps I've had mine for 2 years now...

Now for the bad news...... You need a good clutch basket and change tranny fluid often.