PDA

View Full Version : honda 250x

07-30-2002, 10:47 PM
For years i've had nothing but utility atv's so i decided to buy a 91' honda 250X in GREAT CONDITION for 1,500. Is there any routine maintance on chain driven quads?

DpGm

Castor-426ex
07-30-2002, 11:22 PM
yeah keep it clean...Keep all the chassis parts lubed
And the engine...keep a daily check on the oil..or at least every time you go ridin...
make sure the chain is properly adjusted and lubed

good luck

TheX1992
08-03-2002, 04:33 PM
i have a 92 250x. what i do is everyone once in a while clean the carb with some spray, check valve adjustments, check oil, never let ur gas sit to long, keep the right amount of play in the chain (1" total, .5 up and down), tire pressure even (otherwise u bounce around on the trails or go left or right while doing wheelies) lube all moving parts (i use wd-40 lol), just the basic stuff really.

tkatka70
08-03-2002, 05:49 PM
TheX1992
Being a fellow 250X owner to me and an eXpert on the X. When i ride mine 250 around and then shut is off it drips oil. Its not coming from the plug either. It does it for a few Mins and then stops. Otherwise it runs GREAT. Any thing to worry about. Its not a whole lot. Does it when i drive to.

is is anything to worry about

TheX1992
08-03-2002, 05:56 PM
mine does too. i look on my 2nd or 3rd fin down and thers oil soaked in it. so it runs from the back down. its your head cover gasket leaking i think. thats almost an oxymoron because honda dont make a head cover gasket. i used pyrex but it leaks. so after like 20 min of casual riding smoke pours up from oil burning off on head.

tkatka70
08-03-2002, 08:38 PM
TheX1992 go to the powertrain fourm and look for the post about oil leaking from the front sproket. I posted there that is were the oil leaking is coming from theres a few 250X owners with the same problem. I have a 1/2 by 1/2 inch hole in mine so i put some magnum steel and im letting it sit over nite i hope it works.

kicken250x
08-07-2002, 01:09 PM
only use the quick steel or w/e you said as a temp. fix. because mine had a hole in the exact same spot and i put some on and a few weeks later it started leaking again so buy your self a new stator cover and chain gard so it dont do it again. idk what it is with the leak in the top end i cant figure it out. you dont know how many times i have riped it apart to try to figure it out where it is coming from but i cant. i wouldnt use WD on your bike it attracts(sp?) dirt and dust to it. i use bel-ray chain lube i order it from rockey mountian atv by the box it works really good and doesnt attract dirt either untill it gets washed off after slamming 15 creeks a day lol. just my .02