PDA

View Full Version : Gn4 10w40

tofst4u
04-08-2006, 12:23 PM
Is this OK to run in both sides? The dealership said so but just wondering. I searched the threads and did not see anything about this stuff.

04-08-2006, 12:43 PM
for a brand new engine yes but after you break it in that stuff is GARBAGE and a waste of money. get some rotella 15-40 or a fully synthetic oil and run the honda tranny fluid in your tranny

JR3
04-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
for a brand new engine yes but after you break it in that stuff is GARBAGE and a waste of money. get some rotella 15-40 or a fully synthetic oil and run the honda tranny fluid in your tranny

I dont run the honda gn4 but why do you say its garbage.

04-08-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by JR3
I dont run the honda gn4 but why do you say its garbage. bc its the cheapest oil honda can find and then they up the price and put honda name on it. if you think its good oil you can get much better for a lot cheaper

4ABURN
04-08-2006, 05:41 PM
A lot better oil out there for less or the same money.:D

JR3
04-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
bc its the cheapest oil honda can find and then they up the price and put honda name on it. if you think its good oil you can get much better for a lot cheaper

i run bel ray cause thats what my sposnors hooked up with but what proof do you have that its the cheapest oil etc. im just curious

tfuchs
04-08-2006, 07:13 PM
I send in an oil analisis on all of my oil changes and the Honda Oil tends to break down rather quickly. The Oxidation and Nitration levels were pretty high for the 2 hours that I ran it. My Archer High Torque 20w50 is much better. No break down at all in 2 hours. JMO

bigz-71
04-08-2006, 08:48 PM
so when you say full synthetic do you mean like regular car oil synthetic or does Honda make a full synthetic motor? Give me some name brands that yall prefer and the weight. Please list the type of oil you all use and weight.

04-08-2006, 08:59 PM
id stay away from honda oils. they are all going to be cheaper oil but more expensive price. the synthetic oil i use is car oil but is mobile 1 15w-50 gold cap

bigz-71
04-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Why use the extended mobile oil? I did not think using car motor oil was good in our quads.

RedRacer44
04-09-2006, 05:23 PM
The GN4 is just fine. I've ran it in both of my race bikes and it always worked well. Now I change my oil more often than most riders probably but I've never had a problem. I just tore my '06 motor completely apart and found NO problems with cylinder, head, crank, gears, or clutch while running the GN4 oil.

I'd go with the GN4 20w-50 once the warm weather gets here, it wont break down as quick as the 10w-40. I use GN4 20w-50 in both sides of my motor, and my motor is a built MX motor. It does break down a lil' quicker than other oils I will admitt but it works fine.

If ya dont mind spending a lil' $$$, go with Bel-Ray Thumper semi-synthetic....its great stuff for both sides of the motor. I used it toward the end of the race season last year and really liked it. I dont have my sponsorship with BelRay anymore because I get the Honda oil for really cheap from my Honda dealer though now.

fatkid400
04-09-2006, 06:59 PM
10w-40 is pretty much the same no matter what brand it is.But if you have any warranty on your bike i'd stick with honda brand and always buy it through the dealer you'll have your warranty work done through. And keep your receipe with that.Just a C.Y.A.
suggestion.That way theres no way the dealer ship can say your not changing your oil enough/using the right oil and void your warranty.

RedRaider
04-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Doesn't mobil make the honda oils?

tfuchs
04-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Oil is not oil and 10w40 is not 10w40. There are huge differences in brands of motor oil. And as far as who makes it it doesnt matter, Every brand of oil has their own specific recipie for their oil, some are similar and some are not. Buy what you like or know works. My oil that i sell on a daily basis, Archer Oil, is an excellent example of high quality oil, it is a blend of aircraft base stock oil and great additives. Amsoil is great oil and so is Silkolene.

so buy what you like but you get what you pay for...

jchurch
04-10-2006, 06:54 AM
What exactly is an "aircraft base stock"?
I was under the impression that petroleum base stocks come in two basic varieties, asphaltic and paraphanic. (sic?)

tfuchs
04-10-2006, 07:34 AM
It is a military spec 3082d Level 3 Basestock. Speced for air cooled aircraft engines. It is able to handle high levels of heat and prevent shearing in extreme conditions. There is also a difference in how base stocks are refined, we go four times further in the filtering process to remove contaminents.