PDA

View Full Version : carb jets correct on ex?????

eldoexrider01
07-30-2002, 08:52 PM
with my mods below. i have a 155 main and stock pilot with neddle on 3rd clip with air fuel 3.5 out from closed. and i live in lower arkansas (which is in the "below 3000ft range") my question is that with the 146mj like its says is runnin lean now ( i think cuz of my cam and springs) and went to the 155 and i can smell gas fumes comin outa the exaust. does anyone have close to the mods i have and want to give me their jet set up?????

eldoexrider01
07-30-2002, 09:23 PM
anyone?

eldoexrider01
07-31-2002, 09:05 PM
i guess no one knows anything about their carburator around this place. hrm i thought peopel around here were nice...:confused:

07-31-2002, 09:22 PM
Take the airbox lid off and see if it helps. Maybe turn the fuel screw in 1/2 a turn and try it.

Scott400EX
07-31-2002, 09:33 PM
I dont have the engine mods that you do but i have the K&N jet kit and i'm running the 170 jet and the air box lid off with the pilot screw 3.5 turns out. it doesnt bog at all and runs great top end. gas mileage went down a little but not too bad.

eldoexrider01
08-01-2002, 09:30 PM
i appreciate the help guys!!!! i tried a 155mj and it seems to do good. ima give it some he!! this weekend and see what it does. but does anyone have any suugestions on pilot jets????

jwisniew
08-01-2002, 10:12 PM
where is the pilot screw located?

Scott400EX
08-02-2002, 01:00 PM
The pilot screw is pretty tough to get to with the carb on teh machine. It is a small screw on the bottom of the carb just behind the idle adjustment screw. Your riders manual should tell y where it is. its kinda hard to explain and a lot easier to show

jwisniew
08-02-2002, 01:36 PM
ok ill take a look

bunker
08-02-2002, 03:57 PM
the best way to get your jetting right is look at your plug. black is too rich, white is too lean you want it to be light brown

TravEX
08-02-2002, 04:23 PM
i live in northeast arkansas, and i'm running a 170mj (per the k&n jet kit instructions for elevations under 3000 ft,,,,i'm under 1000ft where i live),,,it does well on it,,,when ya'll say that on the plug that black is too rich, are you just talking about the ceramic electrode part? or the whole part of the plug that is down in the head?, the ceramic part on my plug (the original plug) is medium to dark brown, but the bottom threads on the plug are black and sooty,,,any suggestions

Scott400EX
08-02-2002, 06:14 PM
I'd say your running pretty close to perfect! the end of the plug should be medium to dark brown. if its got a little black on it its just a tad rich. but prolly not enough to worry.
by the way what do you have your pilot jet set on. (how many turns out)?
if u have it at 3.5 like the K&N instructions say then dont worry about answering my question. Did you pick up a lot of top end with yours?

TravEX
08-02-2002, 06:20 PM
yes, 3.5 out,,,yeah, i guess it does feel alot better on top now, it really feels good,,,

scott400ex, i noticed that you removed the choke, did you go with a 42 pilot?, i was looking to buy one last night on rockymountainatv.com and the smallest pilot that they had was a 45, would a 45 be ok? or do i need to find a 42?

changing the subject a little, i have put all of the stuff that i bought for my 400 on it except for the WB rev kit (it came with the "E" kit that i bought from moto-man), i really can't decide whether to put it on or not, i rarely hit the rev limiter, and i do not have any reason for the extra RPM's, does it help throughout the power band? does it pull hard up till the rev limiter? i just can't decide, i guess i need to try it while it's still under the 6 mo warranty, cause i dunno for sure what all my extended 42 mo warranty covers,,,later

Scott400EX
08-02-2002, 08:59 PM
I dont know if u need to go with a larget pilot jet or not. I didnt and it runs great. I've got about 8 hrs on it since i put the 170 jet in. I'd say if u are gonna change it go with a 42 depending on where u ride altitude. If below 3000ft i dont think u hjave to change the pilot jet at all.
The choke removal is a great idea!! and its free, give u more throttle responce. and i dont have any trouble with it starting. i can let it sit for 4 days and it will crank right up. i have a friend that took his off and his will start in below freezing temps on the 1st or 2nd try. u do have to give it a little more gas but its deff worth it.