PDA

View Full Version : Won't turn over fast enough

BuiltBlaster88
04-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Ok this has been an ongoing problem ever since I've had my 440ex, I just haven't ridden it enough since I got it back in december to do anything about it. (mx quad + snow/ice=no) Soo my problem is the starter will not turn over fast enough in order to start the engine. When I got it, the wiring was all cobbled together and there was no way to start it at all. We got it to the point where I can use the dirtbike killswitch on it to start it, shortly after I got it. The starter does turn over pretty quick, but not fast enough to make the beast fire up. I have to throw the charger on it and give it a boost to make the starter whir fast enough. It has a new battery, and I've tried 2 other batteries that came off of working functional electric start quads. I'm thinking it's something with the wiring, or else my worked high compression engine that won't make it turn fast enough??? The starter checked out fine, I took it apart and cleaned it all up and roughed up the brushes which made it turn over a little faster, but still not enough. I then took it to Motor Parts and they said it looked like brand new and nothing was wrong with it. HELP ME PLEASE!

04-08-2006, 04:26 AM
you prolly have a short in the wire or the motor is not timing right

<DRS>GPF
04-08-2006, 08:07 AM
id say its your compression...

put some hours on it and itll get better.. or fry that starter.. which ever comes first..

Pappy
04-08-2006, 08:09 AM
We run the YT12ABS in all 400ex's, especially ones with high compression. The added cranking power seems to do the trick!

BuiltBlaster88
04-09-2006, 10:42 AM
I also forgot to mention that after the motor has run for about 10 minutes or so and I shut it off, it will start on it's own power. I'm gonna go through the wiring...

BuiltBlaster88
04-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Bumpity bump...any other ideas?