PDA

View Full Version : How many links is my new chain gonna need?

RangerRick
04-07-2006, 07:59 PM
I just got a new JT racing 38 tooth rear sprocket and I had a maybe 1 week old 14 tooth front JT sprocket.By the way I already made sure the front sprocket was good by matching it up to the rear sprockets new teeth.Now I have my mind made up on getting a parts unlimited x ring chain but I need to know how many links I am gonna need.The chain that burnt my bearings out about a week ago was supposidly the replacement 92 link 520 chain.Thanks for any help and with any luck ill be hittin the trails next week.

Pappy
04-08-2006, 08:14 AM
If it were me I would buy a 104 link chain and cut it to fit. Keep in mind gearing changes you may make in teh future when cutting the chain, you can cut it so that you can still run a larger or smaller rear sprocket without buying yet another chain, just think about where you have it adjusted before you cut it.

RangerRick
04-08-2006, 09:15 PM
The only thing I was wondering about is cutting the chain.If I cut it would it somehow mess up the x ring design?I dont really know how it looks.Also how could I properly cut the chain down?I have always just took a grinder to the rivets on one link then used a srewdriver to pry it apart.I am guessing I am not going to want to do that to this chain.Thanks.

JOEX
04-08-2006, 09:35 PM
The difference between the x-ring and o-ring is the shape of the rubber ring. Use the same procedure on both to remove links.

ride_red666
04-08-2006, 09:55 PM
ya the grinding method will work fine

RangerRick
04-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Alight.Thanks everyone!