PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch

WORCS 133
04-07-2006, 07:41 PM
What is the wiring for a tether kill switch? What wire is hot and where is a good ground?

Ridin' Jesse
04-08-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm wondering this also.

ml450r
04-08-2006, 01:11 PM
I am wondering the same thing. I got rid of the starter switch.
The yellow/black wire and the black wire start it. The orange, orange/whit and black/blue wires go together to leave the switch in the run position. There is no wire to ground out of that cluster to kill it. Do I have to run the wire off the coil to ground for the tether?

I know someone already has a kill switch on their's by now.

armoks
04-08-2006, 03:32 PM
I ran my tetehr to the coil on the right side of the bike, white wire and spiced it in. Ground it out at a bolt on the steering stem mount and it works fine. I have the Pro Armor teather. you can see it right beside my barpad.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/armoks/PICT0227.jpg

xc416ex
04-08-2006, 03:37 PM
There is no hot/ground on the teather. The way is works is it creates a circut, with the teather pulled, grounding out the coil. When you ground one wirre to the frame the pulled teather, allows the ground to travel to the coil and stopping the ignition. One a Honda I believe the wire on the coil is black with a yellow stripe.

berge75
04-10-2006, 11:48 AM
You can splice one into the green/white wire going to the cdi,and just ground the other. I just peeled back the black tape by the elbow where the wires lead into the cdi and tapped into the green/white and grounded the other lead to the frame. The green /white wire is accually the white wire coming out of the stator if ya follow it back.

NDpredator
04-10-2006, 12:24 PM
I wired up a Pro Design kill switch this weekend on mine. I used the white wire coming out of the coil on the right side of the bike. For the ground, I just used one of the bolts on the headlight bracket and it worked great (even though the headlight isn't on there).

//derrick//

WORCS 133
04-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by berge75
You can splice one into the green/white wire going to the cdi,and just ground the other. I just peeled back the black tape by the elbow where the wires lead into the cdi and tapped into the green/white and grounded the other lead to the frame. The green /white wire is accually the white wire coming out of the stator if ya follow it back.

I tried that and nothing, now the quad won't even start. The Fuel Injection light just keeps blinking. I am beyond frustrated

DezSled
04-11-2006, 12:10 AM
If you can tell me the sequence of the blinking indicator light I have a genuine suzuki sevice manual that might help tell you the problem.
I will try to help diagnose the problem if you can relate to me the blinking light pattern.
FI System Diagnosis section 4-18 has a trouble code table that refers to the malfunctioning part.
There is also a fail safe function that should let your bike start and run at a minumum rate (similar to some automobiles) section 4-20.
A multi curcuit tester is used to check the various sensors output.
Sometimes you can just undo the battery positive cable for a period of time and it will reset itself.
I have a (luckily) trouble free lt-r that I have fun putting around on. Best of luck

WORCS 133
04-11-2006, 07:45 AM
it just blinks on and off in 1 second blips

wangchow06
04-11-2006, 09:51 AM
steady blinking fi light means you have a serious fi problem. You can look in your owners manual if you don't beleive me. Happened to me when I let my tip over sensor hang upside down when I was goofing with it. Just check the logical problems and make sure your sensors are all plugged in. hopefully you didn't ruin a circuit by tapping it.

berge75
04-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by WORCS 133
I tried that and nothing, now the quad won't even start. The Fuel Injection light just keeps blinking. I am beyond frustrated

What kill switch you using? The switch has to be a open type(prodesign). Find the white wire coming out of stator,follow it up to the plug on the left side by the air box.That wire should turn into a green with a white stripe, which will end up running all the way to the cdi. If you ground that wire it will cut the ignition. I've had mine hooked up for the last 3 weeks and have had no issues whatsoever.

AL Elks
04-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by wangchow06
hopefully you didn't ruin a circuit by tapping it.

Very possible! This is the reason I always use a kill switch that breaks a connection instead of grounding one out. As far as the service manual goes there is no code that blinks once per second.

DezSled
04-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Yes hes right there is no diagnosed condition for the indicator light blinking on and off once per second. You might be better off taking it to someone who is familiar to the bike like a dealer.
Check your connections to your various sensors.

400exrider_ed
04-12-2006, 04:22 AM
A grounding kill switch may be harmfull to these quads efi system, if a circuit is back-fed. I remember when we had our Cannondale it had to have a closed loop Pingel Switch that was wired to the key wire and acted like the key too prevent a problem. I also have one of those on my Z-400 as it was recomended by DNYA-FS ingintion company to prevent a back-feed. Can anyone verify what is the proper way to do these to help some guys from burning up there wires. I know I wired mine exaclty as my Cannondale was wired using the Pingel and have had no issues yet, I use it daily as my kill and my key(you can wire it so the key is still useable, but I preferd to ditch it one less thing to come off in a moto.).

WORCS 133
04-13-2006, 08:49 PM
I got it working!!! Quad is back together and runs like a champ:D

jason14x
04-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Warning warning warning.......Do not tap into the wiring harness with an OPEN type switch !! If you tap into it any farther forward than the white wire near the LEFT side subframe you run the risk of zapping your electronics and your efi . Just so everyone know you look at a bike from the rear to determine which side things are on so it is the left ...if you go looking for a white wire on the right youll be looking for a while .

You need to tap into the wire where it meets the subframe (the white wire it is paired with a blue wire ) right by the plug/. I used an inline tap and then grounded my ground out to the bolt which holds the cable bundle near the handle bars ( that little Silver thing which keeps everything near the steering stem clamp) . All I had to do was trim back a little of the harness cover to get the inline tap on I then sealed it with brush on liquid electrical tape for corrosion protection!

It works fine and you dont run the risk of frying your electronics because the electrical pulse is grounded well through the bike .

This is the way Suzuki does it on the team bikes !!

J.

berge75
04-14-2006, 09:48 AM
I got it working!!! Quad is back together and runs like a champ:D

What wires did you end up using?

WORCS 133
04-14-2006, 09:58 AM
I used the Green/white wire out of the back of the CDI, I traced it all the way back to the white wire. Then I just grounded it to the bolt holding the wire bundle under the handle bars. Works perfect

berge75
04-15-2006, 10:06 PM
I used the Green/white wire out of the back of the CDI, I traced it all the way back to the white wire. Then I just grounded it to the bolt holding the wire bundle under the handle bars. Works perfect

BINGO!!! I knew you would get it.