PDA

View Full Version : jetting with a gutted stock pipe

wicked_silver
07-30-2002, 08:28 PM
I hope to have all the "free mods" finished in the next few weeks, Including a gutted stock pipe, I would like this bike to be a sleeper. My question is, What jets should i go with. I live in southern Ohio and i'm not sure what my elevation is. Thankx in advance.

eldoexrider01
07-30-2002, 08:59 PM
well first off try grindin the welds on ur headerpipe. and if ur below 3000ft try buyin 2 sizes up and then checkin the performance and plug. thats all the info i can give ya. and also u said u were wantin to make it a sleeper. i was thinkin a good idea if u took the case off the stock muffler and wrap it around a pro circuit t4 (since its soo slender). but i was jus givin ideas. but the 2 sizes up and then goin up or down depending on ur performance and plug should work. along wit grindini the welds on ur deader pipe

eldoexrider01
07-30-2002, 09:00 PM
oh yeah i forgot i read of a post started not to long ago about a rider shavin the end of his snorkle off for betteer air flow.

sduncan
07-30-2002, 10:25 PM
I just completed the free mod list. I am impressed with the way it ran at Oceano this past weekend. I raced several different EXs w/different mods. I can honestly say that I'm glad I didn't waste money on the stuff they had. A good friend has an EX w/ the full Sparks bolt on kit, i.e. X6 pipe,2mm bored carb, keyway, CDI, uni-filter, 14/41 gearing and 8 paddle haulers. Due to his gearing,he could take off hard in 2nd gear, whereas I started in first and grabbed 2nd quick. He would get 1 to 2 bike lengths out of the hole and that was it. I would consistantly stay within that 1 to 2 length for the run. For the record, I have done the pipe/muffler mods, uni-filter, 15/40 gearing and the snorkle mod. I use Sand Skate 2 paddles I ran a 148 main which looked a little lean but I didn't have a 150 or 152 w/ me. The quad is stripped of skidplates and has alumunum Renthals on it for weight reduction. THATS IT!! Oh, and I still have an extra $800.00 in my bank account!! My buddy was a little upset when I mentioned that.
Do the free mods and see what you think, I liked it. If you're not happy you can always step up and spend the cash.

Oh yea, I beat a stock Z400 w/ paddle tires and a 150lb rider over and over. No, I'm not a 14 yr old 120lb kid either, I'm a rapidly aging 34yr old who weighs in @ 260lb.

Honda99_300ex
07-30-2002, 11:35 PM
this is my exaust after i did the same thing, i didnt have to re-jet

wicked_silver
07-31-2002, 05:42 AM
thankx for all the ideas, keep'em comin' ; someone said go up a size or two with the jets, what are the stock sizes of the main and pilot jets...................................Thankx again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

wicked_silver
07-31-2002, 07:34 AM
another thing, does anyone know what size of a hole should be drilled in the end of the stock exhaust for this mod, or does it really matter. ?????????????????????????????????

sduncan
07-31-2002, 10:09 AM
I drilled 3 15/16 holes in mine. Another frind has 2 @ 13/16. When we have a chance we want to see if there is a difference between the two. One more guy I know drilled 3 1 inch holes in his and also removed the airbox. His jetting was still way lean@155 but the thing flew. He has a set of 6 paddle haulers and was able to repeatedly WAX the quad w/ the Sparks parts that I mentioned above. The rider weighs approx.160lb. and was running stock gears and launching in 2nd gear.

flaneledholes
07-31-2002, 10:15 AM
I say the bigger the hole the better... I mean because the more airflow you have the better...

YLW400
07-31-2002, 10:18 AM
My friend had one 2" hole with a K&N, no air box lid and a 165....worked pretty good..Then Again we are at sea level here