PDA

View Full Version : 400ex timing

biff440ex
04-07-2006, 06:46 PM
I have a curtis sparks flywheel key and My quad is apart right now and the piston moved when it was apart the problem is how do I get the timing right when I put it back together because of the advanced key I don't think I can use the marks on the fly wheel. sorry about the confusing question I hop you understand what I am trying to ask.

RangerRick
04-07-2006, 08:25 PM
I had alot of trouble finding this info so I hope I can help you some.What I did should work for you.You said you have it apart right?Turn the piston to as high as it can get in the bore(TDC)by uscrewing the center plug in the case cover and turning that 17mm bolt till you get it right.put the head on and be careful not to get the timing chain snagged down in the base.After bolting down the head put on the cam.The timing chain sprocket should have 3 marks.The middle points up,the other 2 line up with the top of the head when you look at it from the side.Make sure the cam lobes are facing down.Now continue to install the valve cover etc.Hope this helped.

Ron

04-07-2006, 09:47 PM
put new tires on it

JOEX
04-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by yeaman
put new tires on it

mgraff400ex
04-08-2006, 12:12 PM
if u stick a small screw driver down the spark plug hole and rotate the engine it's easier tofind tdc when screw driver stops moving up and starts back down you're at tdc