PDA

View Full Version : anyone no how to install a capacitor?

LilDacktyle
04-07-2006, 05:01 PM
my buddy gave me a capacitor for my car the other day and i have no idea how to install it. all it has is 2 bolts coming out the top and one has a little + sign on it. so im thinkin ones the power, but i got no idea.

wilkin250r
04-07-2006, 06:24 PM
A capacitor is a storage device, it stores energy.

The next question you should be asking is, "why do I need it?"

When your bass hits hard, your amplifier draws a lot of power really quickly, like a power surge. Unfortunately, your car's electrical system can't always respond as quickly as it needs to. This is why your lights dim when your bass hits, the amp draws so much power so quickly that the voltage drops through your entire electrical system. When this happens, your bass isn't hitting as hard as it should.

The capacitor stores energy, and can react very quickly. So when your bass hits hard, your amp pulls that extra power out of the capacitor rather than pulling down the voltage in your entire electrical system. You bass gets the full hit (because it has full voltage), and your lights don't dim.

The capacitor goes directly across the power leads to your amplifier. Your postivie power should go the the "+" side of the capacitor, and then continue to the positive power input on your amp. Same for the negative, it should go to the "-" on the capacitor, and then continue to the ground connection on your amp.

LilDacktyle
04-07-2006, 07:05 PM
i no what the capacitor does and what its ment for, but i just didnt no how to install it. but now i no. thanks a lot!!