View Full Version : Sand Tires

exboomer
04-07-2006, 03:06 PM
: :D
I want to buy some rear paddle tires for my 400ex. Any recommendations? What is the difference if the paddles (ridges) are angled or straight accross the tire?

GPracer2500
04-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Straight paddles provide the most traction and are best for drag racing. Angled paddles are suppose to be better for every other situation (general duning, snaking, etc.). The theory is that staight paddles have so much straight-line hook up that when you are turning with straight paddles while on the gas the tires just hook up and push the quad straight forward (think: understeer, the front tires are turned but the rears just plow them staight forward). This is especially noticable on torquey four strokes and low speed, tight turns.

You'd think that straight paddles would slide to the side more easily and thus aid in turning. This doesn't turn out to be the case though. They tend to just hook-up and push the bike straight rather than turning the quad in the direction you want to go.

I've ridden many different quads with both straights and angled paddles. Personally, I'd run angled paddles on anything but a dedicated hill shooter. Two strokes are better able to overcome the turning characteristics of straights because they can break traction more easily then a 4 stroke.

04'400ex'er
04-07-2006, 05:17 PM
If you want a good play tire for cutting around and carving bowls, and jumping then the Sand Skate II's would be your choice. Sand Sharks are basically the same thing, but alot heavier, and alot cheaper.

If you want the most traction possible and are not too concerned about cutting and turning, then the Haulers are what you want.

If you want the best all around tire for traction and turning, then the ITP Sand Star will be your best bet. They have better traction than the SSII's, but slide better than the Haulers. And IMO the fronts are the best handling fronts on the market also.

RangerRick
04-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Sorry for hyjacking the thread but what paddles would be the best to throw roost with?This is like one of my most favorite things to do.Also would aerospeeds with the reinforced center bars stand up to hard pack use?

04-08-2006, 04:29 AM
definetely itp tires

whiteflash
04-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by RangerRick
what paddles would be the best to throw roost with?

probably haulers

04TRX400EX
04-09-2006, 01:35 PM
If you're just drag racing, a straight paddle (ex. Haulers) is the way to go. If you are actually going to ride the dunes, you definitely want an angled paddle. ITP Sand Stars are supposed to be the best all-around sand tire out there, according to everyone. I have GBC Sand Sharks on my 400 for the dunes and they work pretty well. Some of the guys I ride with at the dunes say that the ITP's will make a huge difference over the Sand Sharks, but whatever, I don't go that often and the Sand Sharks are like half the price of the Sand Stars. If you have the money though, and plan on going a lot, get the ITP's.

BTW, get them from Rocky Mountain ATV (http://www.rockymountainatv.com)

exboomer
04-09-2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. I have looked at several different places and the ITP Sand Stars aren't that much more than the Sand Sharks. I am probably going to go with the ITP's. What size works the best? I am thinking 20-11-10

okieRrider
04-09-2006, 08:53 PM
I just got a set or rear AMS sidewinder paddles and they kick ***....i love em and are 1000000000 times better then the trakker paddles i had on it....they are basically the same design as the skat track edges only cheaper...lol

atvRiDa400ex
04-09-2006, 09:32 PM
i have sand sharks and they get REALLY good traction on the sand! havnt had a problem yet!

04TRX400EX
04-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by exboomer
I have looked at several different places and the ITP Sand Stars aren't that much more than the Sand Sharks. I am probably going to go with the ITP's. What size works the best? I am thinking 20-11-10

The ITP Sand Stars themselves aren't too much more than the Sand Sharks, but when packaged with wheels, they end up being a lot more for some reason. As for size, 20x11" is the right size, and the wheel size is up to you. A 10" wheel will look the coolest, but an 8 or 9" is going to be a few bucks cheaper.

04TRX400EX
04-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Here's a picture of my Sand Sharks ...
10" wheel in front, 8" wheel in back. I know a 10" rear wheel looks better, but it was more expensive, so whatever

04TRX400EX
04-09-2006, 11:19 PM
And one actually at the dunes (Gordon's Well)

spud400ex
04-10-2006, 07:02 AM
For play riding sand sharks do pretty good and have decent traction. I just got back from the dunes and ran some 8 paddle hualers and will not go back to a curved paddle. I do mostly trail riding and some dragracing and the tires still work pretty good in the trails, with the hualers i would highly recommend some front sand tires to help with turning. I was running sand stars on the front and it turned great and altogether was awesome in the trails.

jsmith2232
04-10-2006, 09:34 AM
I had a set of used sand sharks and had a hole blow in the sidewall during my first trip on the dunes then i got the sandstar IIs on itp c series sport wheels, they hook up great but i would reccommend going with a lighter rim than the c series

okieRrider
04-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Here's a pic of the AMS Sidewinder on my bike