PDA

View Full Version : 250R/Banshee Conver.

Iliketogofast
04-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Does anyone have pics of the Banshee motor in the 250R frame/ect.?

I'm planning on doing this conversion when I can save enough to get another 250R Roller. I need to know what kind of fabrication I will have to do to get the motor to fit inside.

Will it actually fit with just some custom mounts or will I have to do more extensive frame mods to get it to work (Like cutting)?

04-07-2006, 08:19 PM
sounds cool dont know about the ?s

Iliketogofast
04-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Yeah, it's really sweet. There are pics of one floating around somewhere.

It's going to be a dune machine... I've drawn out specs for it, but I need some info on the motor fitment so I can draw up some sketches.

04-08-2006, 03:50 PM
if the shee motor doesnt work you can put a zilla motor in it :eek:

SYRacing
04-08-2006, 06:08 PM
A banshee engine in an R would be stupid. You could save yourself a ton of money and a lot of fab work by just buying an aftermarket cylinder like a 350 Pro-X and buy a 5mm stroker crank..boom 380ccs which is PLENTY for a 250R. You will need a long swingarm to keep that sucker down if your planning on duning. Another thing to think about would be a stock 250 cylinder with QUALITY porting done to it. Were not talking CT, Nacs,Trinity,Paul Turner, Duncan etc. Basically any of the big name builders wont give you what they claim. I'd personally reccomend www.davemooreracing.com and www.patriotracing.com

Zilla motor doesnt make sense either...unreliable and not much for aftermarket support anymore.

Iliketogofast
04-08-2006, 06:18 PM
But I don't have anything to do. Where's the fun in throwing an aftermarket cylinder on a quad?

I want something really cool and original. Besides, if I want an aftermarket cylinder I will put one on my existing quad.

SYRacing
04-08-2006, 06:20 PM
whatever floats your boat..or sinks your sub...BTW if its already been done before its not really original.

Good Luck

250-R-250
04-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Idk if you would like it, but what about a 400ex motor? You would have the most reliable motor out there in the best handling chasis.

04-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by 250-R-250
Idk if you would like it, but what about a 400ex motor? You would have the most reliable motor out there in the best handling chasis.

boring :ermm:

PUT THAT SHEE MOTOR IN IT!!!!!!!!!:D

Iliketogofast
04-08-2006, 07:06 PM
I've already had a 400EX, not nearly fast enough for me even in 440 form. Maybe I'll do a KTM conversion. Is the frame too short for that?

By the way, it's been done but people don't do it very often. The Banshee motor has a boundless potential for power. You can get around 140 horses from them, maybe more. The 250R is the perfect frame and the Banshee motor is one of the greatest two stroke engines.

It will be a little heavier, but It will make up in power. I'm even going to do the single pipe and single carb mod to it. Biggest cylinders I can get for it, wild porting, ect.

04-08-2006, 08:05 PM
put a KTM 525 motor in it :macho

Iliketogofast
04-08-2006, 08:07 PM
That would be sweet, but i don't think it will fit. It's too tall.

04-10-2006, 09:23 AM
yeah go with the banshee motor, or even a street bike motor...ever thought about a snowmoblie motor...but to say the banshee motor is one of the best isnt even close...its just the ATV market is P^$$% compared to dirt bikes and snowmoblies...about every 2 stroke motor out there in sleds that are newer then 95 is better then the banshee motor...trust me, If you rode a F7 you would understand

Iliketogofast
04-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Hmm... What size and how many cylinders are in this "F7"?

Also, does anybody have pictures of the Honda/Banshee? This is the hybrid I'm going to do, I've wanted to for a long time. I just need some information before I strike off about frame dimensions compared to engine dimensions.

Thanks for any help.

Iliketogofast
04-10-2006, 12:44 PM
I figure the Banshee is the closest to s street bike motor I am going to get while keeping it practical for riding trails.

Seeing as how the Banshee motor is based on a rice rocket powerplant, it will work just fine in a heavily modified state.

wilkin250r
04-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Iliketogofast
I figure the Banshee is the closest to s street bike motor I am going to get while keeping it practical for riding trails.

:huh :huh :huh

This is probably the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. By the time you exceed the potential of a 250r motor, you have left "practical for riding trails" far behind.

There is a lot of potential in a 250r motor. True, there is even more potential in the banshee, but what does it give you? With the exception of the Saber, the 250r is only capable of about 70HP max, but do you honestly need more than that?

The banshee motor is capable of much more than 70HP, but by the time you get into that realm, you have FAR exceeded the capability and handling of the chassis. You simply cannot ride trails at 100HP, it's NOT practical. It's absurd. Honestly, anything over 60HP is getting beyond the realm of "trails" and into the realm of "drag racing".

And if you're going to be drag racing, then you don't need the handling characteristics of the 250R.

I think it's a ridiculous idea, but go with whatever floats your boat. But don't try to pretend you're doing it to be "practical", because it's not. And if that is honestly your goal, then you need to abandon the project completely. This conversion is going to be a novelty, and nothing more.

Iliketogofast
04-10-2006, 04:13 PM
I know I said riding trails on the last post, I secrewed up. I wanted it to be a duner, like I stated in the first place.

EXevan91
04-10-2006, 04:27 PM
raffles anyone remember that the banshee engine was orignaly a motorcycle engne.

lol now this insnt practical http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-BLASTER-GSXR-600-not-raptor-z400-banshee-400ex_W0QQitemZ4609480109QQcategoryZ6725QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

wilkin250r
04-10-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm still questioning the logic behind it. I can't even see it being a practical duner.

Here's my logic. Your reasons for wanting a banshee motor is because it has more potential than a 250r motor. So, I would HAVE to assume that you're looking for more than 75HP, because anything under that would be attainable by the 250r motor and you wouldn't need to bother with the hassle of a conversion.

But, when you get into the realm of 75HP, the chassis doesn't matter. All the best geometry in the world can't make whoops ridable at 75mph. Heck, you can't even keep the front wheels on the ground when you get on the pipe. If you DID try to ride in any type of terrain that the 250r chassis makes a difference (trails, whoops, jumps) you can't go above 1/4 throttle, and you'll be fouling plugs all day.

Once you open it up to full throttle, you certainly aren't riding whoops and jumps, so you don't even need the superior handling of the 250r chassis. So why bother?

75HP is eye-watering fast, especially on a 2-stroke. So fast that it's almost impossible to ride ANY type of terrain in which the 250r chassis is superior. It's really only useful for drag-racing.

250-R-250
04-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Wilkin is right on,

This is why I at least think you should do something really different..I have Never ONCE seen a Ex motor in an R chasis. Granted if you are making this strictly a duner, this would nt be a very good conversion for you.

I look at it this way.

You could have a huge banshee motor that you cant control, which will be unreliable.

Or you could have a mild motor in the best handling chasis, that will start almost everytime. If you could do it:devil:

Iliketogofast
04-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Oh I can do a conversion... If I can swap a car motor, I can do this.

Are you talking about a mild Banshee motor when you say the one that starts every time, or an R motor.

Oh, and when did I say I was putting an EX motor in? That would be retarded.

04-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by EXevan91
raffles anyone remember that the banshee engine was orignaly a motorcycle engne.

lol now this insnt practical http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-BLASTER-GSXR-600-not-raptor-z400-banshee-400ex_W0QQitemZ4609480109QQcategoryZ6725QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

2nd time i saw that peice of crap

Iliketogofast
04-11-2006, 05:51 AM
Lol...