PDA

View Full Version : Gotta problem

underpowered
04-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Alright, i have a small problem with my quad. IT starts aand runsa fine, can ride it all day long, BUT under a heavy load it spits and sputters adn sometimes acts like it has spark knock. Mods are in sig, i am going to try to adjust the valves, thinking they may be set wrong, but i dont know. It will rev all the way out, amd runs great, but i try to hit my jump in 2 and 3rd and it wimply sont pull itself. in first there is not enough strain on the motor to make it do this, it will just spin in first , but in the upper gears it dont run like it should.

Chino886
04-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
Alright, i have a small problem with my quad. IT starts aand runsa fine, can ride it all day long, BUT under a heavy load it spits and sputters adn sometimes acts like it has spark knock. Mods are in sig, i am going to try to adjust the valves, thinking they may be set wrong, but i dont know. It will rev all the way out, amd runs great, but i try to hit my jump in 2 and 3rd and it wimply sont pull itself. in first there is not enough strain on the motor to make it do this, it will just spin in first , but in the upper gears it dont run like it should.

Hey Tyler,

Is it smoking, did you check the compression?

underpowered
04-07-2006, 10:19 AM
compression is great, only smoke is from leaky valve seal (just havent had to to replace). Here is the whole story

Put in a new cam about a month ago, ran awesome, no problems. But sence then, it has pregressively been runnign worse, valves ticking more, and the "spark Knock" sound, which i think may all be caused by a valve ajuster not being torqued down correctly, since it has only been since last time i had it apart and has been slowly getting worse. I am going to adjust the valves right now and see what that does for it.

Chino886-It may not have been teh CDI causing the sound, but something else. Hows it working for you?

Chino886
04-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
compression is great, only smoke is from leaky valve seal (just havent had to to replace). Here is the whole story

Chino886-It may not have been teh CDI causing the sound, but something else. Hows it working for you?

Don't know, wrecked bad last saturday, broke a spindle before I even put it in there.

I don't know, your problem sounds kinda weird, how old are the rings on the piston?

underpowered
04-07-2006, 10:27 AM
rebuilt in the fall of '04, nothing done to the piston or rings since.

Rico
04-07-2006, 11:42 AM
I noticed a loss in power but could still ride around when I pulled a head stud. There was also a ticking sound. Start it up and look around the head gasket real good.

underpowered
04-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I noticed a loss in power but could still ride around when I pulled a head stud. There was also a ticking sound. Start it up and look around the head gasket real good.

i pulled a head stud right after i got it, they were replaced. It is not so much a loss of power, just under load. on flat ground or in fist gear is still has all its power, but when you put it under a heavy strain, like accelerating up the face of a jump or on a hill, it just coughes and sputters, but does not die.

I will have it back together in about half an hour, i will let you know if adjusting the valves helped any.

tim colston
04-07-2006, 02:31 PM
Is it just sputtering/losing power on uphill approaches or is it doing this constantly. I am no mechanic by any means but could it be something as simple as a gas line being pinched or something might shift (and pinch something) if you are "in" it. maybe a carboration issue. Just thought I would give it a shot.

hondamanex400
04-07-2006, 02:41 PM
I HOPE YOU GET IT FIXED BEFORE YA'LL LEAVE TOMORROW TO GO TO BIG ROCK. I WISH I COULD GO W/ YA'LL...GOOD LUCK

JEREMY

underpowered
04-07-2006, 02:44 PM
it was a combination of two problems. It is not entirerly solved, but good enough so i can go riding tomorow. The valves were out of adjustment. mainly the intake. did that and it helped, but it would still cut out. I thought maybe it was a fuel issue. and it sort of was. I still have the winter jets (178) in it so i leaned her out a bit, and the problem is still there, it is still a little rich, it bogs on top end, but good enough to ride. I will fine tune the jetting later, and noticed i need a cam chain, which will be replaced after this ride.

underpowered
04-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by hondamanex400
I HOPE YOU GET IT FIXED BEFORE YA'LL LEAVE TOMORROW TO GO TO BIG ROCK. I WISH I COULD GO W/ YA'LL...GOOD LUCK

JEREMY

Change of plans, WE are going to haspin where we hope it will be a little drier.

tim colston
04-07-2006, 02:47 PM
I live about an hour from haspin and it is a fricking downpour right now. Haspin can take a lot of water though. Have fun and good luck.

04-07-2006, 02:52 PM
good luck

underpowered
04-07-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by tim colston
I live about an hour from haspin and it is a fricking downpour right now. Haspin can take a lot of water though. Have fun and good luck.

i kinda figured it would be muddy, but it will be muddy everywhere i think. I woul dhave to dirve 3 hours to find a dry spot and i have Got to go idin somewhere, and if it is a mud fest, so be it.