PDA

View Full Version : Stock stem with IMS tank

mills_racing
04-06-2006, 06:40 PM
does anyone know if a IMS oversized tank will work with a stock stem on a 05 450r?

ajr400ex
04-06-2006, 07:28 PM
I have an '04 with the stock stem and IMS tank. It works but does rub the tank at full lock. With a little grinding on the stock stem that can be corrected. The other issue you run into is with handlebars - all depends on what bend and style of bar you use. The stock bars worked (until I bent them). Renthal 7/8" 400ex bend bars hit the gas tank. I suspect that other 7/8" bars will hit the tank as well - don't know for fact a though. Renthal CR High fat bars with the adaptors/clamps give enough added height to work. If you can spring for a +1 stem I would recommend it.

Also after getting the IMS tank I am not sure it was needed for GNCC's or hare scambles. I have plenty of gas left after a race.

mills_racing
04-06-2006, 08:59 PM
right now in the gncc im cutting it close and stoping so i can chance falling back on that last lap. im running flexx bars so im not sure if they will work, they do have the adapters for the bigger bars so it may raise them up enough....ill be putting the tank on at the track so i hope it works.

ajr400ex
04-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Good luck! I am sitting this weekend out and will be back for Lorretta's. Take a file or grinder and have some washers available as well. To get the fuel valve to mount/seal correctly, IMS recommended some filing if I recall correctly. I used washers instead and has been working fine.

the predator
04-08-2006, 05:27 AM
i ran my flexbars with my stock stem and ims tank for all of 3 rides, i coulnd't stand the rubbing.. i know have a +1 up stem and +! forward and the bars don't even come close to the tank at full lock.

400excracer
04-08-2006, 05:34 AM
IMS changed the design of the tank for 06. I dont know if it fixes the steering stem problem though. I would call IMS and check. The tank is listed as fitting just the 06 in the Parts Unlimited catalog, but it actually fits 04-06.