PDA

View Full Version : no spark, replaced a bunch already

hotlicks
04-06-2006, 05:52 PM
ok, I do not have an ohm meter, just a test light. I have replaced the coil that goes to the spark plug and the entire stator. Still no spark. What is next? My factory on/off switch is broken, so I just unplugged it. Does that matter?

What other components can I check to get spark?

thanks.

zach

tazman7
04-06-2006, 07:31 PM
It might sound stupid but change your spark plug, if you have changed it, but kicked it 15 times since then, change it again. I replaced everything electrical on mine and it turned out to just be the spark plug- waste of $400

Yes you are going to need to put on an on/off switch on it. Your best bet would be to get a tether switch.

TheFontMaster
04-06-2006, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by tazman7
Yes you are going to need to put on an on/off switch on it. Your best bet would be to get a tether switch.

Wrong, you dont need the factory kill switch on it. On my 250r all I am running is just a tether nothin else.

As for the lack of spark, like taz said change the plug. Also check for any loose connections. I bought a new coil, and CDI because of one loose wire.

matt250r21
04-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Make sure you have a good ground, sand the paint off from a motor mount to the case and the ground wire of the wire harness to the frame. Basiclly you want metal on metal, I'm sure you know this already but its the stupid stuff that drives use all nuts.

plummer1111
04-07-2006, 01:26 AM
exactly what matt250r21 says just had a frame powdercoated and had the same problem i would have spark then i wouldnt. so i went through and sanded every part that meets the motor. so no more problems. just my 2 cents

tazman7
04-07-2006, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
Wrong, you dont need the factory kill switch on it. On my 250r all I am running is just a tether nothin else.

As for the lack of spark, like taz said change the plug. Also check for any loose connections. I bought a new coil, and CDI because of one loose wire.

Thats exactly what I said, he needs a tether switch- something has to tell the engine its ok to start, and if you dont have that then how are you going to turn it off? pull the spark plug wire? haha

novaracr70
04-07-2006, 09:04 AM
wrong again you dont need to have your kill switch pluged in it runs with it all unplugged

tazman7
04-07-2006, 08:09 PM
then how do you turn it off then?

novaracr70
04-07-2006, 08:13 PM
wow you really have to ask how to turn a quad off without a switch? Ever tried putting in gear and letting cluch out?
I dont run mine that way but a 250r will run without the switch plugged in. if you dont believe me go try it you might have to let it run out off gas though lol

4x4quadking
04-07-2006, 09:07 PM
i had the same problem with a r i have had, i changed stator,coil,and the entire wiring harness. all with no luck, then i ran a wire off the coil to the motor and it ran. i know i had a good ground on the wiring harness and had a new stator but still no spark. maybe it will work for you.

tazman7
04-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by novaracr70
wow you really have to ask how to turn a quad off without a switch? Ever tried putting in gear and letting cluch out?
I dont run mine that way but a 250r will run without the switch plugged in. if you dont believe me go try it you might have to let it run out off gas though lol

Wow, your smart.... why are you arguing with me when I simply suggested him getting a tether switch for his quad? Not only can you turn it off the right way, but it is also a safety precaution for him and others....

If you want to ****** rig your quad or turn it off by killing it with the clutch thats fine, but dont try to get other people to do the same stupid things you do, I was just trying to help him out.

good luck with your fix.

novaracr70
04-07-2006, 09:46 PM
if you re read his post he asked if they will run with it unhooked i wanted him to have the correct answer which is yes

tazman7
04-08-2006, 08:19 AM
You are right, but then you got stupid saying just put it in gear to turn it off...

04-08-2006, 08:32 AM
that is the hardest thing to do on a clutch novaracr70
i think you need to go read some more forms about quads to no what the right thing is to do GET A TOGGLE SWITCH!!

novaracr70
04-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Again i dont run my quad without a tether or a kill switch. But he is trying to diagnose a problem. he is trying to eliminate components. To trace down his no spark issue .

04-08-2006, 10:37 AM
You are pretty wired novaracr70