PDA

View Full Version : 50 wont start

lsittingbull
04-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Alright, i just got this little 50 04 model, the quad is in great shape. I changed the spark plug. charged the battrie(sp) changed the gas, the gas in the carb bowl and so forward. traced all the wires for a loose connection. she still will not start. but there is one strange thing, when i pull the spark plug out of the head and stick it back into the boot and start it trying to make sure there is fire. it gets a good fire across the electrode. but the boot if its to close to the front tire it also arcs :confused: its kinda like there is a ground wire loose. But my inspection shows nothing. I even went as far as trying to use starting fluid. Nope didn`t work either. :mad: :confused: :confused: .

bigdaddy
04-06-2006, 07:07 PM
Im not sure if the plug boot is the same as a 90 but the stock boots on the 90,s have a brass screw on peice down inside the boot that can come loose. The best thing to do is replace it with a NGK boot that you can buy at any bike shop. I wonder if the boot has a split in it causing it to arc?? It might be possiable that the compression is low also. I dont know if this will help but might be worth a try. Keep us posted.

lsittingbull
04-07-2006, 05:28 PM
I know the owner had pulled the cylinder and head off and he had told me he had a little trouble putting the cylinder back on. No rebuild or nothing he was just curious of how 2 strokes worked?what kind of damage could he had caused? And if he did damage the cylinder or piston(rings) how or who could i get a rebuild kit probaly just need a piston and rings?.

bigdaddy
04-08-2006, 10:18 AM
I suppose he could have broke a ring, I would check your compression with a good gauge to see what it is. As far a stock parts I would go to your local Polaris dealer.

lsittingbull
04-08-2006, 06:01 PM
i`ll try and go and by a gauge and check. Thanks bigdaddy :D

cnichols
04-10-2006, 02:30 PM
When you take that cylinder apart, you need to replace both the bottom and top gasket. Usually, it will not seal properly once removed. Gasket kits for this are pretty cheap at about $15 or so. Just make sure you get it right on the cylinder head end because you get one shot at it:eek2: !