PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket Question

Superdan400ex
04-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey guys. I want to put a 14t front sprocket on my 2003 400ex. Can anyone tell me how to do this? What tools do i need? Will my chain still fit? Just dont want to mess anything up..thanks

stc416rider
04-06-2006, 01:07 PM
yea the chain will still be fine

all you have to do is loosen the 4 bolts on the back of the swing arm then get a screwdriver and you will see a like disc thing by the sprocket pry it up until the chain iss loose then take off the front sprocket guard and the sproket

RangerRick
04-06-2006, 01:08 PM
I put a 14 on my stock setup.All you do is take off the 2 bolts for the chain guard,the two bolts for the sprocket,slide that stuff off,put the new one on,reverse that.It worked with my chain but you have to adjust it quite a bit tighter.Hope this helps.

NacsMXer
04-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the site :) This is very easy to do. 1st, you need to loosen the 4 allen head pinch bolts on the very back of the swingarm all the way. Then, look on the left side of the swingarm by those bolts, and you will see 3 or 4 slots. Stick a big allen wrench in one of the slots and rotate the axle carrier forward to loosen the chain all the way.

Then, go up by the front sprocket and loosen the two bolts that hold it on. Rotate the retainer slightly (look at the splines, you'll know what I mean) and then pull the sprocket off. Installation is in reverse order.

Don't overtorque the sprocket bolts, and use a little bit of blue loctite on them to prevent them from vibrating out. Set the chain tension according to your owner's manual.

...you guys above beat me to it as I was typing this lol :blah:

Superdan400ex
04-06-2006, 01:29 PM
thanks guys! do i have to change my rear sprocket as well?

NacsMXer
04-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Superdan400ex
thanks guys! do i have to change my rear sprocket as well?

No, you do not, but you can if you want to play with the gear ratio some more. Smaller rear sprocket = more low end/less top end Larger front sprocket = more top end/less low end. You can play with different sprocket combinations to suit your needs the best.

Tightening the chain by rotating the axle carrier back towards you will take up the chain slack from the smaller front sprocket you just installed ;)