PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Keeps blowing fuse!!!!!

07-30-2002, 05:24 PM
Ok, I've got a problem.

There is a small fuse box in front of the battery that holds two fuses. They are boths 15's and look like they are wired to either the starter or the battery (one wire goes the the starter), and the other wire goes to a cluster of wires behind the battery.

Anyway, the problem is that the fuse in the back blows when the key is turned on. I tried another 15, a 20, and a 30. The 15 and 20 blew right away, the 30 worked for about 3-5 seconds and then blew.

When the fuse blows, everything goes dead, no lights, no neutral light, and it can't be started unless you push start it. I'm totally stumped on this one, probably something small, but I'm up a creek with no paddle on this one. :huh

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me

JabberJaw
07-30-2002, 06:09 PM
Sounds like you have a short. I'd check all of your wiring.

RytM1
07-30-2002, 06:33 PM
Sounds like a short. Did you take anything apart recently? If so, make sure there are no wires pinched anywhere once you put everything back together.

300eXTraILRyDeR
07-30-2002, 06:40 PM
I belive only one fuse is actually used and the other is indeed a backup??

frogburner
07-30-2002, 06:58 PM
DO NOT EXCEED THE 15 AMP FUSE>>>>> Look,, Narrow it down... You know that there is a short in the wiring cause it keeps blowing fuses.... Clean your quad up real good, and look over every bit of your wiring.... Just take your time... You could just have a little piece of bare wire touching the metal or something... Just dont exceed your fuse,,,, Cause she could be up in smoke some morning....

Leo
07-30-2002, 08:38 PM
don't replace the fuse with one of higher amperage!!!

here's how I find a short..

pull the blown fuse, hook a test light up between the 2 fuse terminals, if it lights up, you've got a dead short..

now start wiggling wires, moving the harness around, playing with switches, unplugging stuff, etc.. until the light goes out..

when it goes out look around the spot you were messing with very carefully, and you'll have found your short..

Leo