View Full Version : HotCam question

armysig
04-06-2006, 07:22 AM
I just picked up a stage 2 Hotcam the other day. I would like to know if there are any other parts or items I will need to replace when I change the cams.

Any suggestions?

hauck400ex
04-06-2006, 07:32 AM
add a high compression piston and you will see a lot better results...

GPracer2500
04-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Not really. The valve cover gasket is metal and can almost always be re-used (buff if lightly with steel wool to get it clean). Can't remember if the cam chain tensioner needs to come out for a cam swap--if it does you may want to get another tensioner gasket. They can also usually be re-used though. It's a good idea to but a light coating of gasket maker on the gaskets to help them reseal.

aviator4
04-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Make sure and use good amounts of assembly lube when you put it in, will help with the break in.

Also, make sure and get yourhead cover bolts torqued down properly, don't overtighten or you'll strip them suckers right out.

Make sure that you get the gasket surface CLEAN before you re-install, there will be oil pooled at the right/front of the engine, get that area clean!!

As far as the cam chain tensioner, I have discovered that using a flat head screwdriver bit that fits in a 1/4 inch driver is perfect for "untensioning" the tensioner. Once you have it loose, use the bit to hold it that way. It shoudl fix right in between the little castleated teeth you will find in there. I have changed a number of cams now and this trick works like a camp. No need to remove the tensioner that way - no need to replace a gasket.

Make sure and keep the cam chain tight against the lower cam gear after you remove the old cam, don't wanna mess up the timing!

Make sure to set your valve lash once it's in as well. Lash is set COLD!

Stage2 is a little tall for a stock motor, so be prepared to loose a little bottom end, but gain on the top. Gives the bike a kind of "rubber band" feel to the power curve.

Oh yeah, and if you're replacing the stock cam, ake sure to remove the decompression spring and plunger!!!! they MUST be removed. Stick 'em in the box with the stock cam, just in case you want to go back.