PDA

View Full Version : Experienced Raptor Riders: Opinion Needed

DieselBoy
04-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Please Note:
=============================================

LET ME START BY REQUESTING ONLY SOMEONE WHO OWNS, AND RIDES A RAPTOR REPLY, NOT SOMEONE WHO HEARD JAKE SAY THAT THE RAPTORS SO AND SO, AND BILLY SAYS THIS, AND MY FRIEND THAT .
============================================

Now, I would like to ask you. For someone coming off a 400EX going to the raptor: are they tippy (RIGHT-LEFT) They appear tall, but do the A-ARMS properely manage that topheavy bike or is this is a tipsy bike? I like the stableness of the 400ex, yfz, etc.

Also, you hear about these starter clutches going, what is the word on the street with this s___ , also, has anyone had any problems with the raptor 660 engine? they are massive motors, in my eyes they should last almost forever.

input appreciated.

BigBoreDinosaur
04-06-2006, 08:14 AM
As far as being "tippy", they are a little more top heavy than a 400EX or any of the 450's. However, they don't deserve anywhere near the reputation that they have. For all-out MX racing, of course it's gonna bicycle some. It's not a race quad, it's a trail and dune pounder. A $200 set of YFZ shocks and a $200 GForce axle, and they're extremely stable. Or just learn to throw a little more body english into it, and you'll never notice it. As far as the one-way going out, yes, ALL Raptors are subject to this. It was redesigned in '02 and then again in '04. The '04 and '05 seem to last a little longer, but as long as you replace them at the first sign of trouble, it's not a big deal. Get an L&A one-way kit and your problems are solved for good.

250r4life
04-06-2006, 10:02 AM
yeah- like he said: they are going to be a little more "tippy" than your 400ex or the 450s, but they are definately still a good bike. for dunes you should have no problem. but yah they are not a race bike, so if your looking to do motorcross get another bike.... you just gotta get used to 'em. when i first rode the raptor i hated it, but now after i've ridden them quite a bit they have grown on me...

DieselBoy
04-06-2006, 10:49 AM
Thank's for the replies. Now, how hard are these one-way bearings to change? Cause see, I might buy a raptor, and I don't perticularly want to spend my whole saturday afternoon d___king around in the garage when I can be out riding. I don't have enough time to ride as it is, and when I do I want it to be pretty problem free as far as the engine/transmission goes.

I would like to buy the 700 but I just don't have the cash. I was also looking at a nice, stock YFZ450 unabused. Again, they want too much. I learned that the raptor has 2 carbs, with my previous experiences with twins was a nightmare on an Johnson outboard we had. any additional input?

I like the fact that the raptor engine is 1/2 motorcycle engine, and that it's 660cc, big, strong, powerful, just worried about the tipsyness. I rode a warrior, rode ok, but it was tipsy as crap. How do they compare to the raptor?

DieselBoy
04-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Thank's for the replies. Now, how hard are these one-way bearings to change? Cause see, I might buy a raptor, and I don't perticularly spend my whole saturday afternoon d___king around in the garage when I can be out riding. I don't have enough time to ride as it is, and when I do I want it to be pretty problem free as far as the engine/transmission goes.

I would like to buy the 700 but I just don't have the cash. I was also looking at a nice, stock YFZ450 unabused. Again, they want too much. I learned that the raptor has 2 carbs, with my previous experiences with twins was a nightmare on an Johnson outboard we had. any additional input?

I like the fact that the raptor engine is 1/2 motorcycle engine, and that it's 660cc, big, strong, powerful, just worried about the tipsyness. I rode a warrior, rode ok, but it was tipsy as crap. How do they compare to the raptor?

250r4life
04-06-2006, 12:02 PM
the raptor is a pretty dang reliable bike... if something like the tranny goes wrong, it should just be a one time fix and then you should be fine... and if you're this worried about reliability, the 700 is not for you- it is completely untested and unproven, and from what i hear it has some stuff that needs to be worked out... although i have 2 buddies that have them and have had no problems, but they are only a couple months old...

the warriar is very different from a raptor... i would get anotehr 400ex before i got a warriar

Blue_Streak23
04-06-2006, 01:19 PM
The raptors are very fast and can get around a track pretty well. Altough they are made for trail riding, they can be raced to an extent. They are a little tippy. But I am mostly comparing that to my friends TLD Predator, with a sweet suspension set up. As long as you are not racing hard-core MX, the suspension will be fine. I jump it and race it through the woods and a friends home-made track, and it does fine. The starter sucks on them. I just took mine to the dealer to be replaced with the "newest" stock design. It is like $300 with labor. If I could turn back time I would have bought a L&A design, and done it my self. That is what a friend did and it runs GREAT!:D

>>I say buy it, unless you can get a cheap yfz! (not a easy find:D )

wolffie
04-06-2006, 07:49 PM
the good thing with Raptors too is you have alot of engine displacement to work with. the aftermarket items you can put on your quad are endless. once you start modding your raptor they can be capable of running in the 70's with ease!

the raptor will eat any stock 400 in a drag, and is very capable in the woods. the 450's can take the raptor around the track, but you dont buy a raptor primarily for racing so big whoop.

the Pred IMO will out accelerate the Raptor, but the 660 will ANILILATE it in the top end!

again these are my opinions, if you dont agree with them thats fine. ;)

Racing Rice
04-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Raptors suck.. :macho

Just kidding... I love mine. My friend has a 400EX (I've actually ridden several different 400EXs.) I almost bought a 440EX that had a ton of mods done to it before I bought the Raptor. All of them are okay, but I prefer the Raptor. Yes they are a little more tippy then the 400EX. The suspension is more plush feeling and it rides very nicely over the rough stuff. More so then any of the 400EXs I rode other then the 440EX with a bunch of suspension mods. A wider rear axle or rear spacers really help get rid of that tippy feeling. Good front shocks make it night and day difference.

I love having reverse. I actually get more tired riding the lighter 400EX then I do the heavier Raptor. I can ride the Raptor all day long and not get half as tired as I do when I ride a 400EX for a few hours.

The Raptors motor is WAY more punchy then the 400EX's motor. The 400EX has very smooth power, while the Raptor has a very noticeable power hit which usually will get the tires to start spinning easily.

It really boils down to personal preference. Try to ride both and see which you like best. Everyone is different, but I'm very happy with my decision.

DieselBoy
04-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Well I love the raptor, it's just people telling me about the start clutches and that the bike's are touch and go (you either get a good one or you dont) but i'm still going to look at a late model one..

Racing Rice
04-07-2006, 10:35 AM
I would! Sure, the earlier Rappys had problems, but you don't really hear about to many problems with the '03-'05 Raptors. The one-way bearing going out sucks, but replace it with a good L&A if it goes out and you should be good to go. I definately wouldn't let that be a deal breaker for such a great machine.

Quad Boy 660r
04-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Racing Rice
I would! Sure, the earlier Rappys had problems, but you don't really hear about to many problems with the '03-'05 Raptors. The one-way bearing going out sucks, but replace it with a good L&A if it goes out and you should be good to go. I definately wouldn't let that be a deal breaker for such a great machine.

In agree with him. We just replaced the one way in my 03 two nights ago. Actually, my dad did most of the work. If you want a good way to see how to replace the one way, go to raptortranny.com. Step by step instruction on how to do it.

I had the same 400ex vs. raptor decision: Im happy with my choice!

DieselBoy
04-09-2006, 08:09 PM
I checked it out on raptortranny.com, doesn't look like much fun.

Quad Boy 660r
04-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Aint no one said it was fun! J/K.

94F450SD
04-09-2006, 08:47 PM
i have a 400 EX and i ride my buddys raptor sometimes.i dont like the way it handles at all.way to tippy feeling for me.but it does ride nice,the suspension isnt as stiff as my 400.and i do like the engine.it is snappy as hell.itll pick the front end up very easily.but with the new cam in my 400 its pretty close as far as low end punchyness goes.the raptor isnt a bad bike,we havent had much trouble except for a clutch and rear brakes.but i just dont like the tippy feeling it has.im sure if i rode it all the time id get used to it.my buddy still doesnt like it but hes to big for my 400,hes 6'3" 290 pounds.:eek2: he said if he could get the raptor to handle like my 400 but keep the soft suspension hed like it alot more.

Racing Rice
04-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by 94F450SD
he said if he could get the raptor to handle like my 400 but keep the soft suspension hed like it alot more.

Good front shocks and a wider rear end will get it pretty close.

Here is the suspension I have on mine now:

Fox Float front shocks
HDUSA +2 a-arms
Elka rear race shock
G-Force rear spacers

Being able to lower the seat height really made a huge difference! My Raptor sits about 8 inches off of the ground now, but it carves like a dream! I can slide it around corners and use very little body english. Widening the Raptor, and putting some good front shocks on it is the best thing that you can do for the Raptor. It doesn't really have to cost you a fortune either I have about $1800 in all of my suspension (finding sales and buying used) I could have went even cheaper if I would have bought cheaper a-arms and something like Elka Rec shocks or YFZ450 shocks.

Blue_Streak23
04-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Racing Rice,

How are the G-Force rear wheel spacers working? Have you damaged anything with them? What surfaces do you ride on, and how do they hold up?

Racing Rice
04-10-2006, 03:47 PM
They are nicely made. I have not bent or broke anything yet, but I've really only done trail riding with them. I haven't hit any real jumps with them on yet. Hopefully soon.:huh

cb700r
05-14-2006, 11:10 PM
my boss has a 660 raptor and i have the 700r raptor. the 660 is more tippy than the 700. going from the 700 to the 660 is weird for me but it will be weird for you from the 400 ex. everyone has their preference but the 660 from the 400ex would be perfect. more power and better handling. no matter what u do it will be new. but my boss hasnt had a single problem with his starter motor or his engine. it all depends on how new it is and who rode it before you bought it.

05-21-2006, 11:28 AM
A 660 would be a step up the 700 is a leap up.My 700 handles like a dream.