PDA

View Full Version : Atv Mechains And Shop Owners

pharit
04-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Hello i had a couple different things to ask about on here in this thread.

Anyway just wondering what training anyone had to bein a mechaninc at a quad shop like a dealership honda yamaha whatever. is there a technical school to attend just kind of wondering i got about 8 year experience workin on my own and other peopls but no shop around here will hire me for a mechaince slot

Also about opening up a personal shop. i got my name around town and starting to workin one alot more than i have. anyway the idea poped in my head to open up my own shop. Anyway just wondering how it would work to get companys to give me there product do i just call up and ask or what i really have no idea on how this would work but it sounds like something i would really enjoy and i think it could go somewhere seeing that the only real shops around here are the dealerships and you know how much they charge.

Thanks for the answers guys

fasterz
04-06-2006, 10:26 AM
I work in a shop during summer and i attend college when in the other months of the year. Honestly i dont reccomend working as a mechanic in a shop. The money is just not there for the mechanic. Yea the dealerships charge around $80 an hour but very little of that gets to you. Most shops have troble keeping mechanics for a while due to this reason and there is realy no moving up since theirs not really any other positions at the shop. You could go to a place like MMI to train but most people say it ends up being a waste. Opening up your own shop is a great thing but also a huge gamble on if it works out, espeically since you dont really have much real experience. What im doing is attending school for mechanical engineering and ill come out and find any job for a few years till i build up the money to open my own bussiness where i hope to make parts, like a place like houser.

TomDnSC
04-06-2006, 01:26 PM
Don't limit yourself to the Big Japanese Dealerships. There are a growing number of off-brand Taiwanese Quads Dealerships that would love to have a part time Mechanic (I would hire you if you were close to my shop).

So look for RedCat, Kazuma, Jackel, Yamato, etc, dealerships in your area.

wilkin250r
04-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Opening your own shop is no small task. It's not as simple as "Hey, I'm really handy with a wrench, so I'll open a shop". In reality, shop skill is only a small portion. The main concern is business management and accounting, and it doesn't sound like you have developed those aspects.

pharit
04-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Opening your own shop is no small task. It's not as simple as "Hey, I'm really handy with a wrench, so I'll open a shop". In reality, shop skill is only a small portion. The main concern is business management and accounting, and it doesn't sound like you have developed those aspects.

Well my mom is an accountant and i've got my two friends of mine that are more than willing to become partners and we'll all split it together but this isn;t something i want to do over night for more something down the road.....

250-R-250
04-06-2006, 03:43 PM
If you dont mind me asking, how old are you? It takes alot of money to start a business, alot of people dont have that money which means getting a loan, and if that business fails your in for a big part of your life.

pharit
04-06-2006, 05:06 PM
22 and i'm not lookin to start some franchise business, just something small out of my own shop i got tools space people willing to go in on it with me but its not something i'm about to just dive into. and i just got a 15000 dollar sign on bonues thre the kansas ANG i know its not a hell of a lot to work with but thats why i asked about openin one up

beleive me i've looked at the risks and know what can happen i was just wondering how shops get big companys to let them sell there product