PDA

View Full Version : Solar Battery Tender

JOEX
04-05-2006, 09:50 PM
How well do these work? Are they worth it?

I don't drive my truck very often anymore and i'd like something to keep the battery up. I was also thinking of adapting one to the quad as well.

It wont matter as much with the warmer weather but over the winter the cold seemed to take it's toll on the batteries.

davefrommd
04-16-2006, 08:50 PM
I recently helped someone install a 12 volt gate opener using a around 500 marine cranking amps marine deep cycle battery and to keep it charged a 5 watt solar panel to charge the battery. I think the gate is called the mighty mule. The solar panel has a built in blocking diode to keep the battery from being drained at night time. If you buy a solar panel make sure it has a blocking diode or buy one.

I've seen those solar battery chargers that are placed on the dash. I wouldn't buy that one for a car battery. I would try the 5 watt solar panel if you wanted to keep your car battery charged. However the dash mounted one might work ok for an atv battery.
dave

JOEX
04-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by davefrommd
I recently helped someone install a 12 volt gate opener using a around 500 marine cranking amps marine deep cycle battery and to keep it charged a 5 watt solar panel to charge the battery. I think the gate is called the mighty mule. The solar panel has a built in blocking diode to keep the battery from being drained at night time. If you buy a solar panel make sure it has a blocking diode or buy one.

I've seen those solar battery chargers that are placed on the dash. I wouldn't buy that one for a car battery. I would try the 5 watt solar panel if you wanted to keep your car battery charged. However the dash mounted one might work ok for an atv battery.
dave
Thanks Dave, I just about to bump this thread up:p

I was thinking about the dash mounted versions because they're readily available and just plug them into the cig. lighter. I don't know anything about the diode stuff.

Is there any risk of over charging with either method or any other potential problems that I should be concerned with?

davefrommd
04-17-2006, 06:58 AM
I am not an expert on solar power however I have done some research into them for information. I am planning on adding an alarm to my atv and was thinking about a solar panel for it. The 5 watt would be to big in size for the atv. It's about 13"x13" and looks just like Item# 339973 in northern tools. The smaller dash mounted one I would consider. Northern tools carries both of them.

What a diode does is the solar panel connects to the battery. At night time as the solar panel is connected to the battery it begins to slowly drain the battery because of no sunlight. A blocking diode basically stops the battery from being drained at night time. A diode or blocking diode to describe it better basically keeps the current only going one way. Your dash mounted solar panel should have a diode built in already. The 5 watt solar panel may or may not have the diode in already.

For your car have you thought about a fully automatic battery maintainer/trickle charger that you plug into 120 volts. Sears sells them at about $20.00. I think that would work for your atv also. dave

Rip_Tear
04-17-2006, 06:36 PM
my friend had one for his truck and it worked great, and his battery was actually screwed, but gave him enough to start.

For the ATV their awsome.