PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else like those hills at florence?

Chef
07-29-2001, 03:15 PM
does anyone but me and my riding group like those hills out of the trees at florence? when were there last time, there was me on my 400, and two people in our group had 416's and FCR carbs. one of the kid's dads had a 416 and he went down those hills with us thinkin "how hard could these hills be if these 13 year old kids can make them everytime?" lol, he soon found out when he couldnt make it(he is the same size as me, 5'10, 140 lbs.) it ended up i had to ride his bike out and he had to climb up by himself. the hill the closest to the parking area that is in the trees is my favorite, cause you have to roll back and then start without much room. sorry for the long post, but there was alot to say.

rhandw69
08-23-2001, 04:38 PM
I havent had the chance to go to FLorence yet, i usually spend most of my time around Sand Lake since my wife hates long road trips.
I really enjoy those tree shot hills at the Lake.
I just recently bumped myne up to a 416 so im anxious to see how it does on the hills now. How are the hills you are talking about different from the ones im talking about?
That is if you know which ones im talking about.
Hopefully one day ill go to FLorence im hoping the end of September give me some decent weather so i can make a jaunt down there.
WHich has the bigger hill climbs, florence, coos-bay, or winchester???
Take care
Rhan
McChord AFB, WA

08-24-2001, 01:23 AM
Sand Lake is cool, but compared to Florence, it is tiny. I know what you mean about long road trips, though. I haven't had a chance to ride at Winchester, but I did make it down to a place called Horsfall just north of Coos bay for a couple of hours on the way home from Florence one time. (Had to make a major detour to get there, but we wanted to check it out) Anyway, there was a lot more to see there than what I could see in 4 or 5 hours, and I want to go back...someday.

Chef
08-24-2001, 04:59 PM
winchester has by far the biggest hill climbs i think, except for one at coos bay that was really rutted that we didnt make. We got to a corner about 100 feet from the bottom of a hill as wide as one quad after we went around an S-curve up this hill, then found some real deep ruts. we didnt go back so we didnt get to go down it either. and winchester has iron man and a few that are like 400 feet tall it seems like. Im sure they are alot like the ones you are talking about, but i have never been to sand lake, so i dont really know.

rhandw69
08-25-2001, 10:36 AM
Well im really sure sand lake isnt near the size of winchester or the other places, but for us its close to tacoma, and it offers good places for my daughter to rider her bike at. I really like hill climbing though, im always in search of the best tree shots i can find as well as bowls.
I usually try those "idiot holes" at sand lake. SOme i fare well and others not so well.
Riding is riding and as long as you have fun doing it thats all that matters.
Thanks for the input
Rhan

08-25-2001, 12:19 PM
Yes, Florence would be a long haul from Tacoma. I'm in Kelso, and I think it is too far. We only go down there if we have a long weekend, or a whole week off. I just wouldn't go down on a holiday weekend....too crowded. My brother and I are taking my dad out to Sand Lake the weekend after Labor day for his "Rookie ride". Maybe this will convince him to get a quad of his own, then the three of us could hit up Florence, Winchester, Coos Bay, and maybe someday Glamis!!

carlj75
08-28-2001, 09:20 AM
Has anybody been to Beverly Dunes? We are thinking about going this weekend. I went to Florence last weekend-It was bad ***! Hopefully Beverly won't suck. How far is away is Sand Lake from Tacoma?

rhandw69
08-28-2001, 01:33 PM
Ive never been to Beverly, but from the pics to me it seems kinda boring, but i could be wrong. We are leaving for Sand Lake this Thursday , usually i go the coast down because i stop in Bay Center to pick up Oysters, so my trip usually takes about 5 hours.
But this time we are going down I-5 through Portland and then heading west, so it should take about 3.5 hours. I think?!?!?!?!!!!

sduncan
09-20-2001, 08:13 PM
I jjust found this site and I gotta say that I'm impressed!!!

My family and I just got back from 2 weeks on the Oregon coast. It was our first trip there. We camped at the Marina RV Resort in Winchester Bay and rode at Horsfalls, Spinreel, Winchester, and Florence. We loved every minute of it. Gonna stay for a month next year! Anyone do the dune at Winchester that is about a mile back down the access road from the day use area. You can see it go up thru the trees from the road.

Being 15hrs away its tough to do a weekend thing, read IMPOSSIBLE!! We usually hit Dumont in the winter and Pismo year round. Glamis is on the list this winter too.

Thanks for listening.......

Chef
09-24-2001, 05:32 PM
yep i can make that, as well as some guys that just have the e-series slip on and rejetted. i havent seen a stock raptor make it though, i think its the gearing in the da** things. Its called iron man or bald spot trail, one of the two, did you make it?

01-14-2002, 07:40 PM
How is Sand Lake AnyWay? Where is That around? I have seen some pictures, and heard that the place was pretty small.

rhandw69
01-15-2002, 02:47 PM
Well its about 18 miles southwest of Tillamook. FOr me coming from Tacoma, its concenient. It surely isnt as large as say Coos bay, florence and winchester, but still provides great riding. It can be a great place to break in a bike and take the family to as well, and there are several fun hills to venture up. For me i like it mainly because its a shorter drive to get there for a turn and burn trip which ive done several times.I usually end up leaving here like early on a saturday morning around 5am, get down there around 8 30 am, and ride all day, then leave around 4 to come back home. Sometimes later.

JOEX
01-15-2002, 03:10 PM
I DO!!!!

I've only been there once (so far). I like riding the hills and the trails just inside from the beach better than the open dunes. I had a bad experience involving not paying attention and an 8' drop off.lol!

Sand Lake:

It is puny compared to Florence, et. al. And being relativly close to Portland you get ALOT of people out there, especially on the weekends. But for a day trip it's about the only choice.

Joe

dune250r
01-21-2002, 01:54 AM
Sand lake has some chalenging hole shots out of the trees and also has a trail called oneway that is a lot of fun.

I would say that Winchester has the biggest hill climbs in Oregon. Coos Bay is next. It has some pretty big hills along the railroad tracks. Florence would be next.

As for Beverly, WA, It is nothing compared to the Oregon dunes. Check out my site for dune reviews http:\\sandboxtoys.tripod.com

kid300ex
02-17-2002, 12:42 AM
We just got back from sand lakes, It was awesome! I couldnt make some of the hill's cause my 300 isnt that powerfull, but it sure was a kick in the *****!!! We rode over a looked at the hill called the LOST GOAT, that looks like a mean hill... it took us excatly 4 hours from aberdeen to sand lakes, with pit stops and breakfast at mcdonalds and dinner.. :) Im going back soon

brokenbones
02-17-2002, 09:53 AM
sand lake is verysmall compared to winchester and florence beverly is very similar to moses in size the dunes are the best in winchester but are group mostly go and camp at florence it takes me about 8hrs with my camper and trailer and this year i will be there in apirl with my wife and my 3month old baby boy so talk about a long rodetrip if any of you guys are down there in apirl we will be at honeyman in the h loop

brokenbones
new baby boy at home all toys are still in the garage

dune250r
02-17-2002, 01:38 PM
Lost goat is a steep hill. It is also technical because it weaves around many trees.

JB's 400ex
02-19-2002, 01:22 PM
Beverly can be fun for a day trip but definately not a whole weekend. At times it can get very crowded and dangerous because of being small. I was there is Jan. and the sand was like cement because it was so wet. I don't think it is 25% the size of Moses Lake. Anyone ever been to the Juniper Dunes by Pasco. Several people have said it was a good place to ride.

03-01-2002, 12:59 PM
Have any of you been there in winchester its steep and really narrow. I have gone down it from the backside its a fun one to shoot. This one is also called iorn man i guess, has anyone made it up and with what?

I have:)

Chef
03-02-2002, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I've gone up that hill...there is another one there that makes that one look like childs play...i can pull iron man/banshee hill 4 th gear...start in second, shift to third at the first corner, shift to 4th comin out of the trees...

03-11-2002, 10:10 AM
I went riding to winchester last weekend and it was raining but wasw all good. I took allot of different hills. my bro and his freinds took me to this hill they call the Wall It is straight up, definatly steeper than banshee hill. I was wondering if you have seee this one its a real rush. Mostly only banshees were makin it i dident try next time i will though. my freind on his stock shee made it so did my freind on his kx250. It was awsome my 4oo wasent running so great that day due to stock jets.

Chef
03-11-2002, 06:01 PM
Does "The Wall" have a ton of turns down at the bottom, then you come out of the trees for probably 100-150 feet? Or is it the one on the end you have to back down about 150 or 200 feet and go from a dead stop with no run? I've done both of those, the only ones I havent done are the ones that are too narrow for my quad to fit in...

03-11-2002, 07:29 PM
The wall has no trees its straight back about 1 mile from the parking lot its real steep with a 10ft 90deg lip at the top!

Chef
03-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Is it just like a free standing dune or is it on the side of a tree island? How tall is it total?

03-12-2002, 10:56 AM
The wall is a hill that has no trees by it if you stand at the bottom it will block the sun its a real steep one especiallywhen the sand is dry It is SE from the parking lot. Its probably 1 mile that way and you go down into this pit and shoot right up its a real fast one but you can get a run at it my bro has an lt250s and well he dosent have enough power to make it but a 400ex can.

Chef
03-12-2002, 04:27 PM
I'm almost 100% sure that I've gone up that one too...How tall is it total? like over 150 feet or not?

03-13-2002, 10:09 AM
yes you prolly did its really not hard to find its huge i could most likly make it 3/4 up in 4th and shoot the top in 3rd. well its a little less then banshee hill but not much.