PDA

View Full Version : synthetic oils

B-rad D
04-05-2006, 07:47 PM
does anyone run synthetic oil? if what brand? and does it really help at all?

04-05-2006, 07:49 PM
i run mobile-1.. i dont know if it is really noticable hp for like 5 dollars a quart... but why not use it for a little extra insurance

NacsMXer
04-05-2006, 08:02 PM
I used to use Mobil 1 with the red cap (safe for motorcycle engines) but they discontinued that formula. Now, I run an equal full synthetic made by Shell called Rotella-T 5w40. There are a bunch of people on this site running it as well, with good results.

It is a heavy duty synthetic made to endure the abuse of the trucking industry so you know it will handle the abuse in your quad engine. I have lots of $$$ tied up in this motor, so I only run the highest grade oils. Amsoil and the like, are also excellent synthetics, but a little on the steep end with the price. I like the Shell oil b/c you can buy it at Walmart for $13 a gallon....not too shabby. There is a night and day difference between a good full synthetic and conventional oils. Once you go full syn, everything else is just sub-par. You won't go back ;)

miller821
04-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Whats everyones opinoin on the Hondalube and Yamalube... I ran Yamalube for a while, but then my pockets got empty.... But are they really worth 7.50 a quart???

dirtmomma
04-05-2006, 08:54 PM
Our YFZ has always had Motul or Dumonde ran in i t it's been great!!
We were running just reg. oil in our 426ex & just started using the Dumonde Synthetic in that.

440_Turtle
04-06-2006, 05:57 AM
Ive got a fully built engine in my bike and teh guy i got it from ran Valvoline VR-1 sae50 in it. Is that any good, i would liek to switch to a synthetic but am leary abtou changing oils since thats all shes every had in her, thoughts please...

Rico
04-06-2006, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by ride hard man
But are they really worth 7.50 a quart???

HELL NO

Stealerships should be shot for charging that much for crude oil....:ermm:

Rico
04-06-2006, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by 440_Turtle
Ive got a fully built engine in my bike and teh guy i got it from ran Valvoline VR-1 sae50 in it. Is that any good, i would liek to switch to a synthetic but am leary abtou changing oils since thats all shes every had in her, thoughts please...

I see no reason why you couldn't switch.

miller821
04-06-2006, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Rico
HELL NO

Stealerships should be shot for charging that much for crude oil....:ermm:
Ya I was paying that for a while, then figured out that thats to much, so I switched to valvoline.

Rico
04-06-2006, 07:30 AM
If your going to run non synthetic oil then buy the cheapest stuff you can find at walmart. Crude oil is crude oil and your paying for a name and not whats in the bottle. Anything over $3 a quart and your pissin away money...:blah:

RangerRick
04-06-2006, 08:07 AM
I like Klotz MX4 but I dont have it locally so I ordered it once and since I can find it I mix it with mobil mx4 so its still full synthetic.This stuff can get expensive though at 10 or more a quart but the klotz really puts off an awesome scent.

jordan_m6
04-06-2006, 12:16 PM
so you can run syn. in the 400. so can you still run with stock clutch.

NacsMXer
04-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by jordan_m6
so you can run syn. in the 400. so can you still run with stock clutch.

That very well depends on WHICH synthetic you run. Not ALL synthetics are safe for motorcycle wet clutch systems. With a stock clutch, only run a synthetic that is specified for motorcycle use. The reason I say that is because most synthetics are made for use in autos and contain special antiwear additives that will cause your 400 clutch to start slipping...not good.

That's why I like the Rotella stuff, it's completely safe in your quad. Just do your homework before running just any synthetic in your quad :)

stc416rider
04-06-2006, 01:09 PM
i use 5w 40 honda stuff from the dealership

flauge
04-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I used to use Mobil 1 with the red cap (safe for motorcycle engines) but they discontinued that formula. Now, I run an equal full synthetic made by Shell called Rotella-T 5w40. There are a bunch of people on this site running it as well, with good results.

It is a heavy duty synthetic made to endure the abuse of the trucking industry so you know it will handle the abuse in your quad engine. I have lots of $$$ tied up in this motor, so I only run the highest grade oils. Amsoil and the like, are also excellent synthetics, but a little on the steep end with the price. I like the Shell oil b/c you can buy it at Walmart for $13 a gallon....not too shabby. There is a night and day difference between a good full synthetic and conventional oils. Once you go full syn, everything else is just sub-par. You won't go back ;) They discontinued that formula of mobil 1???:mad: what about the new stuff? is it still alright to use?

jordan_m6
04-06-2006, 04:36 PM
so NacsMXer you run this stuff in your GT thunder 452 stroker.

i havent really noticed any difference in synthetic or regular oil.

NacsMXer
04-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by flauge
They discontinued that formula of mobil 1???:mad: what about the new stuff? is it still alright to use?

Yes, they discontinued Mobil 1 with the red cap. A ton of people used to use that on this site while Mobil still made it. Now, they only synthetics that are safe from them are the Mobil 1 MX4T which is designed to be safe in motorcycle engines. It is, however, more expensive than the old red cap could be bought for, so that I why I no longer run Mobil 1.

I can buy Shell Rotella-T, which is an equal or better full synthetic for much cheaper (13 a gallon).

Rico mentioned to me that if you have heavy duty clutch springs installed, you would be ok to run the automotive Mobil 1 blends. I haven't done this yet because I just love the Shell oil so much! I run it in my KLX 110 and my blown F-150 as well; I wouldn't run an oil I do not trust.

NacsMXer
04-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by jordan_m6
so NacsMXer you run this stuff in your GT thunder 452 stroker.

i havent really noticed any difference in synthetic or regular oil.

Yes, I run it in my quad, pitbike, and truck. It's nice having one type of oil on hand that suits all of my needs.

The difference between synthetics and regular oils cannot be discerned by the seat-of-the-pants o meter. Virgin oil analysis tests are the only way to determine how well the oil is working and how well it protects over time and abuse.

I have looked into a lot of these tests before selecting this oil and there truly is no comparison between synthetics and regular oil ;) This is how I know Mobil 1 and Rotella T syn are both high grade PAO synthetics. The Shell oil actually keeps the motor cleaner than the Mobil 1 as a matter of fact.