PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain?

ogre
04-05-2006, 05:33 PM
The guy building my 416ex just got it back together and put my HMP slip on on, he said it all sounded great. But there was a slight ticking, he beleives it needs a new timing chain and possbily the new guides also. Any of you all ever have this problem???? With a new rebuild or anytime. Valves have already been adjusted properly.

cals400ex
04-05-2006, 09:50 PM
it could be the timing chain tensioner too. what cam are you running?

ogre
04-05-2006, 11:26 PM
IM running stock cam, nothing special, just want a decent powerd dependable motor. Its wiseco 10:1. thats its. Could my octane b to low, just trying to save money. u all think I will need the guides or will just the chain Be ok?? I dont wanna put all all this money then it mess up.

Rico
04-06-2006, 05:12 AM
You can put a crf chain in there which is a heavy duty chain and you'll be set for a long time. Drop in a cam too for some more power, a stock XR400 dirtbike cam is like $120 and it drops right in with no problems and gives nice gains for woods riding.

I don't think your tensioner is messed up. They either work or don't, no in between and if it was broke that chain you would definitly know it...:o What year is the quad??

It's not octane either with that low of compression.

ogre
04-06-2006, 09:36 AM
Its a 2000 model. yeah i didnt figure that it was compression, but i think they were feeding it the gas that had been in my tank for about 4 to 5 months now. Hey rico did u make the clay city dis. 10 race if so what class u run and howd it go? as u can see im still having bike trouble.