PDA

View Full Version : Engine flooding?

TRX400EX02
04-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Up until last week my 400ex ran perfectly. But, I replaced the bent stock handlebars with some new Pro Taper 7/8th high bend bars. Now when I go to start it, it will fire for a second and then die. Then it refuses to start and backfires if I hold the starter button. It shows signs of flooding but I dont know why. And if it is flooding how do I fix it? When I first put the handlebars on and tried it, it started right up and ran fine. But the refusal to start is since that first ride. Thanks for any help.

04-05-2006, 03:41 PM
does it just crank over but never get the extra push to start it?? If, so that is flooding.... explain how it sounds?? as you press the start button will it start to die down the longer you push??

TRX400EX02
04-05-2006, 03:52 PM
The engine turns over fine and will actually start for about one second and die. After that it just refuses to start. It sounds exactly like what its supposed to sound like when you try to start it. And if I hold the starter down, it does not start to die/slow down. Instead, it backfires and occasionally makes a muffled poping noise from the carb area.

miller821
04-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by TRX400EX02
The engine turns over fine and will actually start for about one second and die. After that it just refuses to start. It sounds exactly like what its supposed to sound like when you try to start it. And if I hold the starter down, it does not start to die/slow down. Instead, it backfires and occasionally makes a muffled poping noise from the carb area.
You choking it?? Don't choke it if your bogging down, sounds like your getting way to much gas.... I would take the air filter out and see if that helps any..

duneaticdave
04-05-2006, 03:56 PM
old gas maybe? junk in the carb? to large of a jet?

exrider008
04-05-2006, 03:59 PM
geting new bars isnt going to make ur quad flood:huh but i would turn down ur fuel/air srew it sounds like u r getting way to much gas

forgot one thing. take ur plug out and see what it looks like then turn it over for like 10 seconds with out the plug in it then put the plug in and try that.
good luck!

04-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Yah thats what I was thinkin.... too much gas... take the filter out and see if she starts up and let it run in neutral for awhile and then pop the filter back in

TRX400EX02
04-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by exrider008
geting new bars isnt going to make ur quad flood:huh but i would turn down ur fuel/air srew it sounds like u r getting way to much gas

i didnt know if the the new bars would make the throttle cable too tight and therefore and pull on it , flooding the engine. And how would i turn down the fuel/air mixture? Turn it left or right?

04-05-2006, 04:11 PM
And how would i turn down the fuel/air mixture? Turn it left or right?

left.... have you herd the phrase left loosey, righty tighty... remember that... turn it left/

TRX400EX02
04-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Taking the air filter off didnt do anything. Tommorrow Ill mess with the mixture and check the plug after school. Although i dont see how the mixture can be bad seeing that it has run fine for months since I rejetted for the new pipe.

hondamanex400
04-05-2006, 06:24 PM
it sounds to me like its ur plug. for years i was fouling plugs because i was running too rich, adn was 2 poor to buy the parts i needed to fix it. but now i dont have that problem considering i did a total rebuild this past winter. but check your plug and see if it is sparking, and look at the color