PDA

View Full Version : Serious Problems!!!

68 Mopar
04-05-2006, 03:22 PM
A few months back someone stole my brother's 2001 400 EX. When they got it they rigged up the ignition and I think they may have messed with the carb. some but I'm not sure because I can't get the thing to start. The ignition was easy to fix I just bought a factory harness and switch, but now I can't get the thing to start. It turns over fine but it just won't crank. It bogs when you give it gas so I know the gas is getting there. I put a new plug in it and grounded it to check for spark and it was sparking, just very little. Now it won't spark at all and I'm wandering if maybe the coil is going or gone out. The only thing I noticed that the SOB's messed with was the switch by the clutch, they tried rigging it to a hot wire I guess to bypass that switch (I'm not sure why). I've hooked that switch back up but still I get nothing. PLEEEEEEEEASE Help me out. Thanks.

chrismac400ex
04-05-2006, 03:55 PM
I have heard two things about fire. Coil can be bad and moisture can cause problems. Somebody may can tell you more. Outside of wiring I don't know.

68 Mopar
04-05-2006, 08:08 PM
Preciate the input. I'm leaning more towards the coil and I don't think they cost too much so I think I'll go ahead and try that.

ww228king
04-05-2006, 08:16 PM
may have shorted yhe cdi also

68 Mopar
04-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Is the CDI the little black box on the front of the four wheeler right above the spring on the right side?

300ex mxracer
04-06-2006, 04:43 PM
if it has a kill switch, check that. mine has gone out twice. other than that just get a voltmeter and start checking things.

WOLFPACK
04-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by 68 Mopar
Is the CDI the little black box on the front of the four wheeler right above the spring on the right side? Yes!