PDA

View Full Version : 06 450ER owners Call Honda and voice your starting problems

ATV403
04-05-2006, 01:49 PM
1-866-784-1870 Call this number and let Honda know about your starting issues. They do not think theres a problem!

400excracer
04-05-2006, 09:05 PM
I dont have a starting problem with mine.

HPC
04-05-2006, 09:40 PM
I don't have a starting problem either, it starts every time.

leadfoot_52
04-05-2006, 09:44 PM
Mine seems to have a starting problem when its warm, I'll give them a call. Thanks Man.

lumi
04-05-2006, 09:49 PM
no starting problem here. is it the starter or the hard starting u are mad about? two diff problems . nopt really sure what ur asking, but my starter is great first push of the button things fires up ready to kill. starts warm cold everything. good luck

beany
04-05-2006, 10:00 PM
I don't have any problems with my starting either?? But I do like to ***** alittle so maybe I'll give a call and see what kind of free stuff their willing to part with

Abrannan19
04-05-2006, 10:01 PM
60% of the time mine starts all the time.j/k:D

i don't have a starting problem either.

jdwxv3
04-05-2006, 11:42 PM
I think it is mainly XC racers who have a dead engine start. Tons of people on quad zone said they had some problems.

Coolidge
04-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Mine starts no prob too. Just dont even breath on the throttle before you crank it.

kos462
04-06-2006, 04:28 PM
no problems hear eather, weather its a dead engine start to starting it when its warm

400exrider0004
04-06-2006, 04:54 PM
i dont have a starting problem either. But i did realize you CANT use the throttle when starting. That floods it and it will take forever to start. Also you need to raise the idle a bit. Mine starts every time!!!!Also this is off topic but have any of you noticed a high pitch noise, almost like a chirping noise coming from the engine????I noticed it a lot more when i took the baffle out.

Abrannan19
04-06-2006, 09:00 PM
some people are saying that it is the slids in the FCR carb and some people are saying it backpressure..i dont know either way but its normal..and the HRC kit will not stop it..if anything it makes it mor noticiable..check out the forum "06 chirping noises"

sandmanblue
04-06-2006, 09:11 PM
The only time I had a problem is when it was new and I tried to start it like a two stroke - blipping throttle. BIG mistake. Flooded it. now I know - don't touch the throttle!!!

Starts right up hot or cold...

atvwdsrcer
04-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Mine starts ok but to me ok isnt good enough. As a xc racer I need this Xc racing quad to start insantly. If I warm it up and don't start it for a few minutes before my group goes it will start on the 4th rotation. I need it to start when I hit the button (1st rotation). It does start every time just not quick enough and that is without touching the throttle and with the idle turn up (which did help alot). I've talked to some local pro's and they can't get theirs to start fast neither. I am getting ready to try the advice from hmf engeneering site to attempt a remedy. Ill let you know if it works.

motox450
04-11-2006, 08:14 PM
A perfectly jetted FCR carb will chirp at the lower revs. It is a continuous chirp and is quite distinctive. As for hard starting, I have an 05 with a FCR off an 02 CRF. When its really cold i give it three full whicks of the throttle, pull the choke, and she starts in two kicks every time. remember guys don't turn you idles up to high. Turning the idle up acutally is like turning the throttle ever so slightly. If you turn it up high enough your accelorator pump will start to leak fuel into the carb and will make starting very difficult. This is just some info that I have gathered while tweaking my carb home it helps.

yamablaster24
04-11-2006, 08:33 PM
blip the throttle 2-3 times choke and start with no throttle works like a charmevery time.

ATV403
04-12-2006, 04:20 AM
Starting is not a problem when cold for most people. The dead engine starts and when you stall in the woods is horrible.

BLEEDRED
04-12-2006, 05:52 AM
I didn't think I had a starting problem until last night. I was at the track and it would not start hot. I had to wait like 5 min. to get it started hot. I turned up the idol and it started right up. Here is the strange thing. It sat for about 20 min. and then I couldn't get it started...so I turned the idol down...started right up. Stupid if you ask me. I guess I'll be adjusting the idol to get it to start. At least the idol is really easy to adjust.

twisted threads
04-12-2006, 07:11 AM
I know 4 people with 06 450r's and all of there bike start right up.

bananas
04-12-2006, 07:30 AM
My 06 starts right up cold, but after that when it's warm forget about it. Hot is ok most of the time.. And I read the book 2 times too.... Looks like many of will be buying starters when they blow up from heat....

Pappy
04-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Listen to the tips about the idle! and do not touch the gas when startuing. Too many people are trying to set thier quads up like it was thier old quad and it doesnt work. Proper jetting and following simple advice works wonders.

BLEEDRED
04-12-2006, 08:01 AM
I know 4 people with 06 450r's and all of there bike start right up.

Good for them...the few, the proud.

I'm just reporting my experience and how I corrected it for the time being.

For the record: Cold my bike starts up instantly with no problems.

305400ex
04-12-2006, 08:02 AM
I have the HRC kit on my 06 450er, with the standard hrc jetting.
I was having starting issues, when I would stall. I installed the boyesen quickshot and changed out my pilot jet from a 42(stock) to a 48, also I cranked up my idle. I no longer have any problems starting(hot/cold).

Like pappy said its all in your jetting and your idle. You take care of those two things and you should not have a problem.

:eek2:***DONT TOUCH THE THROTTLE WHEN STARTING***:eek2:

ATV403
04-12-2006, 01:15 PM
48 pilot jet is HRC jetting.

4ABURN
04-12-2006, 01:55 PM
45 pilot tuned up idle to 1950- 2000 and she starts like a champ. hot,cold,even after a stall.:D

jdwxv3
04-12-2006, 02:44 PM
I have heard of people buying 05's b/c there dealers could not get the 06 kickers in. I'd say there is a problem b/c most people who I know that race XC dont like the Er's. I personnaly like the kick start, shoot if I get another YFZ I am going to install the kicker on it to.

Dave400ex
04-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Colby told me to put the stock pilot back in that he's found it to help with the starting better then going with a bigger one.

blakefoote
04-13-2006, 07:12 AM
I just sold a 400ex and my 06 450er starts like a charm compared to the 400ex. THe 400ex would always give me trouble and the 450 never does........."watch me go home and it not start":rolleyes: :rolleyes:

blakefoote
04-13-2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by 305400ex
I have the HRC kit on my 06 450er, with the standard hrc jetting.
I was having starting issues, when I would stall. I installed the boyesen quickshot and changed out my pilot jet from a 42(stock) to a 48, also I cranked up my idle. I no longer have any problems starting(hot/cold).

Like pappy said its all in your jetting and your idle. You take care of those two things and you should not have a problem.

:eek2:***DONT TOUCH THE THROTTLE WHEN STARTING***:eek2:

yeha thats what my Honda guy said....he said dont ever ever ever ever ever ever touch the throttle on the new E start

2MuchChi450R
04-13-2006, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by blakefoote
yeha thats what my Honda guy said....he said dont ever ever ever ever ever ever touch the throttle on the new E start

It says that in honda's monthly service bulletins, I think a couple of months ago about proper starting proceedures on the ER's and how you can damage the starter clutch like a few that have come in for "warranty" :rolleyes:

RedRacer44
04-13-2006, 10:40 AM
I have an '06 with a complete built motor (piston, cam, porting, etc) and she starts like a champ. I did have some issues when I installed the Stage2 HotCam initially. It seems that if you install a cam other than the HRC, there's starting issues and engine builders are having to increase the decompression release or whatever. HRC is like .26 thousandths....we had to set my bike with HotCam to .31 thousandths. It starts every-time now....

I know of several '06 owners....all their quads start up just fine. They range from stockers to full-on MX race bikes....

450rJam
04-13-2006, 04:22 PM
I think the key is in the idle,
mine really pissed me off 2 times
first time in the shut down area letting off after a drag race and it died, took forever and I finally pull started it. I rode it to the truck and shut it off and it started fine.
the 2nd time I was trail riding with kids and the exhaust seemed to get hot (maybe because I had shorts on) so I turned the idle back down and bloughppud!! she stalled and wouldnt start (and at the bottom of a hill) so I pushed it back up the hill and roll started it.
the idle is now bumped up about 700 to 900 over stock and it is never comming down.
this was all in the first 3 weeks and it hasnt stalled or had a prob starting since (about 2 months)

GIXXER1KR
04-14-2006, 10:31 AM
No problems here either.This is some funny ****.I though it was gonna turn into an 06 ER bash but i guess not.I have the HRC kit and Yosh pipe and no problems.I did notice the dealer did turn up the idle after the 1st service!i think the motor comes way too corked fom the dealer too!!!!

xsr_racing28c
04-14-2006, 11:56 AM
we may be getting an 06 er for my sister to ride, and i'm glad to here that everyone isn't having to problem..

ATV403
04-14-2006, 12:36 PM
I am also glad that so many people are not having any problems. Mine with the HRC kit and Curtis Sparks pipe runs great except for dead engine starts and when you stall it in the woods. But I know there are many people having issues like myself is why I started this thread. Honda sent out a bulletin to turn the idle up to 1700 rpm's and NO throttle. I have owned basically nothing but Hondas since 1972 and this one has me a little frustated.

jb500ex
04-14-2006, 08:03 PM
you won't think you have a problem until you do a xc race and realize how slow the quad starts. for guy's that just ride don't have a problem with it taking 4 or 5 or more seconds too start. you can tell most off the people complaining are xc racers, everyone who say's mine works great isn't a xc racer.

atvdude
04-15-2006, 12:46 AM
I agree starting is a pain and nothing like my old 400ex was to just hit the starter and gas and go!! I wish it where the same for my harescamble starts but its not going to be. I need to rethink how i start it in a hurry because of how the New updated carb is on the 06 450r. you cannot gas and go you need to gas it twice then let off(to squirt fuel in the chamber) and then hit the start button without gas and when started then giver hell. Its just a differant set up but i prefer the old way instead of having to think about it.

Dave400ex
04-15-2006, 09:00 AM
I agree with JB500ex. Most of the people complaining are XC racers and there is a lot of them on this site. I bet there's thousands of people that think it's just fine. It does start slow and I will be doing a XC race with it next weekend. I'm not looking forward to the start. Rather then the starting I love this thing!

I did talk to Mark Baldwin a little over a week ago and he said they are working on a setup to take the stock carb and add a hot start. I'm interested to see how that works.

E.POWERSPORTS
04-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Has everyone that needs fast starts in XC turned their idle way up and tried that?

jb500ex
04-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by E.POWERSPORTS
Has everyone that needs fast starts in XC turned their idle way up and tried that?
yes

450rJam
04-15-2006, 06:42 PM
with the idle up it will start easy but for xc they want it to fire and take off in an instant, I dont think that will happen unless you do some more mods,
first off there is a sensor that if you touch the gas it sends signal or something and it wont start at all, maybe there is a way to alter it for starting then reset so that the throttle response is still there, maybe a toggle to bypass just during start up ?
someone smarter than I will have to do some trial and error but with some time I bet someone can come up with a way.
mine does start quicker when hot if I pump the gas once then hit the start button.
I wonder if the people that solve the quick start prob will let everyone else know, some people dont like to share their hard work but I understand that also.

GIXXER1KR
04-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Would it be possible to disconnect the TPS wire from the throttle to stop the ignition from being retarded so you can gas it a little to start it!!

quadguy83
04-17-2006, 08:04 PM
I just got my bike back from the shop for the hot start problem. They claim all they did was adjust the air screw a few times and turned the idle up a good bit. I rode it for an hour tonight and it was 90 percent better with hot starts.