PDA

View Full Version : Why is it so hard to find people to ride with

xtuner
04-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Funny story, well my wife thinks it’s funny, I don’t. Saturday afternoon we take a ride in the car and my daughter finally falls asleep so I decide to show my wife where I have been riding. On line nine close to the escarpment I notice an old atc 250r. Thinking he is probable a local I figure he might want to go riding. I follow from a distance, waiting for him to stop so I can talk to him. He stops and we have I nice chat. I ask him if I can tag along with him and his brother, who was not there yet. He looks at me with a look of distaste and says “I don’t even know you”. I was taken aback and the only response I could come up with was “alright, maybe I’ll see you on the trails sometime have fun”. I got back in the car and told my wife the story and she laughed. WTF is all I could think all the way home.

Am I the only one?

300exOH
04-05-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't think I would be laughing either. That was a rude response he gave you. I have ran across a few people with a similar attitude but most are eager to have more people to ride with. If you are looking for others you can probably find willing folks in your area if you make a post in the where to ride section.

quadrcr161
04-05-2006, 10:29 AM
nope. your not the only one. i started back riding the power lines and trails behind my house after almost 15 yrs, just raced and never trail rode. well i live in a small area, and the road is a one way in one way out. i have noticed people riding the old trails i have cleard out again, and a few other tracks, but i never see anyone riding on the trails. but when i do see people riding they usually go by my house on the road, im always tied up working on the house or property to go see them.

PismoLocal
04-05-2006, 11:07 AM
I always talk to people when im at the beach riding, some times we will be riding and hitting a jump for an hour and we will get a crowd watching and then younger kids will start following us around, we are always nice though and we tell them if they can keep up then they can ride with us.

o3thirdeyeo3
04-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Yeah! Theres old rail road tracks EVERYWHERE around where I live, and one stretch actually goes right through my back yard and when I first got my quad I rode them everyday and I know every single trail around here. Now, I usually dont leave my property becasue the trails got old and NOBODY in my area rides except for a few utilities here and there. Well, now my little brother has a 250ex and hes just like I was. He goes riding down the tracks immediately after school and doesnt come back until dark. Almost every time he gets back he has a story to tell me about all the people he saw! And im just like OK hes probably talking about the older guys on the utilites. But he said he seen Moto 440, Raptor, YFZ, Banshee, and im like WTF! Ive never seen these people lol. So now the weather is getting nice so ive been going back out, down the tracks to see if a can spot one of these dudes. But of course I saw nothing but a Bayou 220 with like an 8yr old on it. haha. But whatever, I just go to the D6 races and theres PLENTY of people who want to go riding!:D

trx400exxracer
04-05-2006, 11:22 AM
there are a few d***s out there you will find some nice ones soon

Quad18star
04-05-2006, 11:35 AM
I've had guys tag along riding with my friends and I , and I've also tagged along with guys I didn't know .

I think one of the main reasons some people don't like riding with people they don't know is because they are unsure about the person's riding abilities ... like is he the type of person that will be careful while riding , or is he the type that will be slamming into your rear bumper all the time . I know guys that have been hurt while riding with people they didn't know .

04-05-2006, 02:47 PM
I would like to ride with new people depending if you trust them.2 guys in an old van that looked like meth users asked us to help them with their van.We wanted nothing to do with them so we told them no and acted like dicks but I think you guys understand.But I am always looking for new people in So Cal to ride with.

xtuner
04-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by xtuner
Funny story, well my wife thinks it’s funny, I don’t. Saturday afternoon we take a ride in the car and my daughter finally falls asleep so I decide to show my wife where I have been riding. On line nine close to the escarpment I notice an old atc 250r. Thinking he is probable a local I figure he might want to go riding. I follow from a distance, waiting for him to stop so I can talk to him. He stops and we have I nice chat. I ask him if I can tag along with him and his brother, who was not there yet. He looks at me with a look of distaste and says “I don’t even know you”. I was taken aback and the only response I could come up with was “alright, maybe I’ll see you on the trails sometime have fun”. I got back in the car and told my wife the story and she laughed. WTF is all I could think all the way home.

Am I the only one?

Have truck will travel to ride?

woodsman250r
04-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Not to be mean but I would have done the same thing. I ride on a lot of private land and me and some other people are the only ones that maintain and make new trails. Now with this in mind once you have one person come, they start coming back and bring more people who you don't know and they tear up your trails because they dont' have to care for them. Also if they get hurt riding on that land and decide to sue because thats how some are, we are screwed out of a place to ride. Also when we ride its usually practicing for XC races so we don't want to have to worry about some moron putting down a trail on his utility looking at trees that we might slam into. So basically if we don't know you we don't ride to ride with you because of these issues and it turns into a liability.

250R-Dee
04-05-2006, 11:51 PM
xtuner - you can ride with me and my crew anytime. I'm 9000 miles away so you and your quad would have to ride on a military Cargo plane for 17 hours just to get here:D

xtuner
04-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
Not to be mean but I would have done the same thing. I ride on a lot of private land and me and some other people are the only ones that maintain and make new trails. Now with this in mind once you have one person come, they start coming back and bring more people who you don't know and they tear up your trails because they dont' have to care for them. Also if they get hurt riding on that land and decide to sue because thats how some are, we are screwed out of a place to ride. Also when we ride its usually practicing for XC races so we don't want to have to worry about some moron putting down a trail on his utility looking at trees that we might slam into. So basically if we don't know you we don't ride to ride with you because of these issues and it turns into a liability.

That makes sense, but in my case he was not on his property