PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Electric Start vs. Kick Start

bwilson624
04-04-2006, 11:30 PM
I just bought a 2006 kick start, well ordered it anyway. The guy at the dealership says that this will be a very hard atv to find. So now I'm stuck between waiting for I don't know how long to get a kick start from another dealership (depending on when and where they find one) and getting an electric start. One of my friends races mideast interstate hare scrambles and he says that everyone at the track have kickstart except a few. The few that have electric start say that their starters hang up occasionally (according to my friend who has been known to stretch the truth). Just wondering if anyone has had or has heard of this problem. Thanks in advance.

jb500ex
04-05-2006, 05:32 AM
yes, get the kickstart

desratt
04-05-2006, 07:22 AM
I got the kicker

One_Bad_400
04-05-2006, 09:49 AM
i got the electric and i'm putting a back up kick on it just incase the electric gives me problems soe how... i really think i'm goin gthe right way... cuz when that electric start is runnig top not.. its started in half a second when you stall in a race, and that kick takes a little longer..

JIMTED79
04-05-2006, 01:49 PM
I have an 05 450R but would not give it up for an 06 electric start for anything.

MAD450r
04-05-2006, 03:04 PM
I wouldn't switch to electric start. I've only seen 2 06's e start so far. I can start mine sitting down when its hot.

I have yet to see electric start start as fast as my kicker.

bwilson624
04-05-2006, 10:30 PM
So yall have never heard of the starter hanging up on the e start though?

moto440ex
04-06-2006, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
i got the electric and i'm putting a back up kick on it just incase the electric gives me problems soe how... i really think i'm goin gthe right way... cuz when that electric start is runnig top not.. its started in half a second when you stall in a race, and that kick takes a little longer.. My dealer told me that on the 06 model, If you had the e start, you couldnt put a back up kicker on there? I hope I was told wrong though, because I want a back up kicker too. I've had no problems with my electric start, but it would be nice to have a back up.

Quadster450
04-06-2006, 11:32 AM
i've got the ER and have never had any problems with the electric start. hot, cold, doesn't matter, starts up first time every time. wouldn't trade it for nuthin :cool:

Nick110
04-06-2006, 01:17 PM
For those that have the 06 Kickers how hard is it to kick over. Im about 5' 8" 135lbs. I can kick over my bros 04 450r. Is it easier or harder than an 04.

E.POWERSPORTS
04-06-2006, 01:48 PM
About the same!

MAD450r
04-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Since they have decompression releases for starting. Hope im not wrong on that but im pretty sure its the same to kick over, if its easier its only due to the shorter stroke

One_Bad_400
04-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by moto440ex
My dealer told me that on the 06 model, If you had the e start, you couldnt put a back up kicker on there? I hope I was told wrong though, because I want a back up kicker too. I've had no problems with my electric start, but it would be nice to have a back up.

you were told worng... lol... i talked to my honda service manager where i bought it... and i talked to curtis sparks...

Teufel
04-06-2006, 04:05 PM
The electric start SUX ...... especially if you are racing XC with a dead engine start. I am suprised to hear that the 06 kicker is hard to find as the local dealer has 8 or 10 of each in stock. He sells them for 6K out the door :cool:

desratt
04-06-2006, 05:42 PM
i have an 04 and an 06 kick.
they feel the same at least starting wise. and I run 13.5:1 on my 04 right now

04-06-2006, 07:01 PM
kick=lighter bike electric=you can be lazy...which is always nice

bwilson624
04-06-2006, 11:22 PM
The electric start SUX ...... especially if you are racing XC with a dead engine start. I am suprised to hear that the 06 kicker is hard to find as the local dealer has 8 or 10 of each in stock. He sells them for 6K out the door

Well I live in the sticks and the dealer says there were only so many kick starts made for '06. They can't find any nearby so I'm probably gonna go with the e start that they have in stock. Hope to get it tomarrow morning. I'll keep it posted for whatever I get. And my dealer wants 6399 for a kicker, but if he wants to sell me the e start he is gonna give me the kicker price. The e start price is about 6600!:eek2:

4ABURN
04-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Quadster450
i've got the ER and have never had any problems with the electric start. hot, cold, doesn't matter, starts up first time every time. wouldn't trade it for nuthin :cool:

ME TOO :D :D :D

bwilson624
04-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Well I picked it up today. I got the e start and just got it broken in this morning and I am in awe. They did give it to me at the kickstart price too. Thanks again for all your help and happy riding!

400excracer
04-08-2006, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Teufel
The electric start SUX ...... especially if you are racing XC with a dead engine start. I am suprised to hear that the 06 kicker is hard to find as the local dealer has 8 or 10 of each in stock. He sells them for 6K out the door :cool: In my experience this statement is completely wrong. In every XC race that I have done in the last 2 years there has been at least one person on the starting line kicking their 450R while everyone else was founding turn one. The race last weekend there were 3 of them. The 06 450ER takes a second or so longer than my 400EX to start, but it has never failed me. If you are racing MX I would consider the kicker. If you are racing XC or just riding for fun I would get the estart.

jb500ex
04-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by 400excracer
In my experience this statement is completely wrong. In every XC race that I have done in the last 2 years there has been at least one person on the starting line kicking their 450R while everyone else was founding turn one. The race last weekend there were 3 of them. The 06 450ER takes a second or so longer than my 400EX to start, but it has never failed me. If you are racing MX I would consider the kicker. If you are racing XC or just riding for fun I would get the estart.
the kick starts much better then the electric in xc. now there are 3 or more people sitting on the line. And ask anyone who races xc what they want, the kicker. I regret buying my electric start.

400excracer
04-08-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
the kick starts much better then the electric in xc. now there are 3 or more people sitting on the line. And ask anyone who races xc what they want, the kicker. I regret buying my electric start. OK ask me. I have raced XC for 11 years and wouldnt have a kicker. Everyone has their preference, but I would hate to be the one on the line kicking my quad while everyone else is racing. It is also nice when you kill it in the middle of the race. You dont have to reach down for a lever and worry about a hot start button. All you do is hit the majic button.

GIXXER1KR
04-08-2006, 02:13 PM
I have the Estart and love it.I would think the biggest downfall of the Estart would be modding an engine.If u bump up the compression and add a bigger piston i think it would cause more problems with starter strain.

Teufel
04-08-2006, 02:58 PM
I have had the problem with the 450R electric which belongs to a Race Buddy. However I didn't realize how big the problem was until I saw it at the GNCC starting line as well as at the East Coast XC series. Those riders were very unhappy with their electric start.

If you know of a fix please share it, I know some riderswho would appreciatre it very much.

Originally posted by 400excracer
In my experience this statement is completely wrong. In every XC race that I have done in the last 2 years there has been at least one person on the starting line kicking their 450R while everyone else was founding turn one. The race last weekend there were 3 of them. The 06 450ER takes a second or so longer than my 400EX to start, but it has never failed me. If you are racing MX I would consider the kicker. If you are racing XC or just riding for fun I would get the estart. :cool:

400excracer
04-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Teufel
I have had the problem with the 450R electric which belongs to a Race Buddy. However I didn't realize how big the problem was until I saw it at the GNCC starting line as well as at the East Coast XC series. Those riders were very unhappy with their electric start.

If you know of a fix please share it, I know some riderswho would appreciatre it very much.

:cool: What problem are you talking about? I assume you are talking about the fact that they turnover a few times before starting? I dont know a fix for that. I still wouldnt trade my estart for a kicker.

jb500ex
04-09-2006, 08:49 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Teufel
[B]I have had the problem with the 450R electric which belongs to a Race Buddy. However I didn't realize how big the problem was until I saw it at the GNCC starting line as well as at the East Coast XC series. Those riders were very unhappy with their electric start.

im one of the many unhappy gncc riders with the er. when you know you are going too start the race from the back it sucks. on my kick start top 3 all the time ,er back 3 all the time

Dave400ex
04-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Mine has started every time, but is horrible when it's hot. I talked to Baldwin last week, he said they are working on a hot start setup for the ER and will be able to modify your stock carb. He told me to call back in a few weeks...