PDA

View Full Version : yfz 450 connecting rod problems?

nelson440
04-04-2006, 10:35 PM
is it true that the '04 450s had problems with throwin the connecting rod? it mus tbe cuz i got a frined who jsut launched his rod. im on here tryin to find out wht u can do to correct this problem?

Octane
04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Ive heard of people having problems if they mod their engine a lot, but if left stock the YFZs are very reliable.
You are OK with an aftermarket exhaust but if you go to a high-rev box or a bigbore with the stock bottom end you are just asking for problems.

DieselBoy
04-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Soon as you f___ with the piston and compression ratios/cams/etc your inviting problems. Buddy of mine put an 12:1 piston in his stock crank SUZUKI LTZ400, worked great, but was short lived. after about a month the motor started knocking and its trash now, he spent a year building it up. and now, nothing.

I told him not to do it, but he didn't listen. and yes, he maintained it religiously with regular trail riding. He's probably sold it by now for peanuts.

i cant stress enough how LEAVING THE MOTOR ALONE IS NEEDED TO A RELIABLE MACHINE. I usually won't even go to look at a machine if the motor's been f____ with. Just too many people who don't know what their doing with these things. Kind of frustrating.