PDA

View Full Version : Flipping the "buckets" on Elka shocks. Help.

Narly R
04-04-2006, 08:48 PM
I flipped all of the "Crossover Position" peices, and the top looked like it shouldnt be flipped, and I just read in the book that they arn't suppose to be. So I was just woundering If I flip the other two if I will see much differance. My suspesion is too soft and the compression is turned all the way up, but I still want it to be good threw the whoops, though it isnt too good right now, but will I loose shock travel when I do this as well? Thanks any help would be appreciated.

P.S. They are on yfz with +2 Housers. They are Quadrate high/low speed compression with SSD.

Pappy
04-04-2006, 09:00 PM
if your compression is all teh way up, your preload adjusted correctly and its still too soft, you need stiffer main springs

400exrider707
04-04-2006, 09:14 PM
I do remember reading something about flipping the crossover springs on the shocks in the elka manual, but I doubt that it is going to cure your problem.:ermm:

Narly R
04-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I bought the shocks brand new, and told them what they were going on and all that stuff, you'd think that they would be right...:confused: Maybe I should give elka a call.

Pappy
04-04-2006, 09:34 PM
by all means call them, they will make it right.....but first, be sure you have everything adjusted properly.

pudamac12
04-05-2006, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Narly R
I bought the shocks brand new, and told them what they were going on and all that stuff, you'd think that they would be right...:confused: Maybe I should give elka a call.

yeah elka is good at that. I have so many friends who get them and are dissapointed with them and have to send them out to be revalved.

04-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by pudamac12
yeah elka is good at that. I have so many friends who get them and are dissapointed with them and have to send them out to be revalved.

you can call elka and they will help you tune your shocks for free, and if need be you can ship them to them to revalve them for free

Narly R
04-05-2006, 09:25 AM
I was going to call them. I was just woundering if anyone has flipped their cups before?

K_Fulk
04-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Mine were very soft when i got them too, they had to be sent back and fixed.

Your wasting your time flipping the buckets.

hondardr4life
04-05-2006, 06:27 PM
I hear a lot about people being unhappy with their valving From Elka. I'm not going to say anything though, I don't feel like getting into any arguements. All I can say is send the shocks back and tell Elka you want them done right.

250-R-250
04-05-2006, 10:41 PM
Hey I bought some shocks from the original owner...their elkas, I also bought the same a arms he had them valved for...There way too soft and we way the same....do you think that there is anyway elka would revalve them or would I have to pay.........................

Colby@C&DRacing
04-06-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Mine were very soft when i got them too, they had to be sent back and fixed.

Your wasting your time flipping the buckets.

actually changing crossover heights is a great way to dial in your suspension. It changes when you transfer from one spring to the next. 1/4 diffence in crossover height in the mid spring will make a world of difference.

Don't change all of them at once you are going to messup the tuning you just need to try a longer crossover in the mid spring before changing the main.;)

K_Fulk
04-06-2006, 08:44 AM
When I got my elkas they were out ready turned on the stiffer side. Hence it would have been a waste of time for me. I get where your coming from but if shocks were as far off as mine it wont make a diffrence.

When my shocks were dynoed the spring rate was 40 % softer then the xc rate the rebuilder was using.

Colby@C&DRacing
04-06-2006, 08:55 AM
I agree what I suggested it for tuning not compensating for a shock that is completely wrong

2000_mx_banshee
04-06-2006, 04:25 PM
First off let me clarify something, alternating the direction of your crossovers is the single largest change you can make to your shocks, period. The person that said they do nothing is highly misinformed. Secondly, nobody has answered his original question. If you have mutiple rate springs, like triple or quad, you are not supposed to flip the first one over (the one closest to the top of the shock, the collar just under the self sagging spring). Here's why: these collars have a short side and a long side. The long side has to be facing up! This is because if you were to put the shorter side up, when the preload spring is fully compressed, it would be binding. This is called coil binding. It happens when the actual travel area of that spring is shorter than the compressed height of the spring. Coil binding will create a harsh spot in the travel. So, the upper most collar must have the longer side pointing up, all other colloars can be installed either way. It is too much to write but you should fully understand what placing the direction of your collars does to the suspension, the owners manual explains all this.

Narly R
04-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I flipped them, and it seems to be better. I have two bikes with the same suspension on them. I have always liked the one with the buckets flipped better, so now I flipped the buckets on the yfz and it seems to be a little better. I flipped the rear one also. I havent got to ride it very much yet, but it seems to be better. But I have 2 different styles of a-arms on both bikes, so the sag is a little different on the two machines.