PDA

View Full Version : Piggybacks VS. Remote

300EXrider356
04-04-2006, 07:45 PM
What are the pros and cons of having remote rezies over piggyback ones, or vise versa?

rob-u/21
04-04-2006, 07:56 PM
I dont think there is a performance advantage with either one. To me, piggybacks are more convinient. They are easier to remove and install. Have a cleaner look. The reservoir line can be damaged if bent the wrong way, crashed into or if it is hit with something hard enough.

lghickman21
04-04-2006, 08:13 PM
i believe having the piggy back is like he said, they are much cleaner and easier to work with. but with the remote you get a little more oil and (though it is not much) added surface area for cooling.

adinocr7
04-05-2006, 06:33 AM
For my rear I went with the Elka (sport/racing series) Remote Rezzie (45" hose). I had to mount the rezzie up front. Its works as good as it looks.

I only have the Elka Rec series shocks up front (w/out Rezzies). If I ever upgrade (add rezzies or get an Elka Sprt/Racing Series) I'll probably go with the piggy backs. I agree with both you guys . . . they are cleaner looking, out of the way and extremely close as far as effectiveness. Not to mention I really wouldn't care to have three different sets of rezzies clamped all over my frame . . . one is enough.

Elka Fronts / Part #E36
Elka Rear / Part # RR46CR

400exMO
04-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Eaiser to remove and cleaner are the reasons I purchased piggybacks. Also you won't have to make or buy clamps.

4TraxRider
04-05-2006, 01:22 PM
I really like piggy back as far as convenience but i like the way remote rezzies look on the frame, but I'm saying that soley as a cosmetic preference. i've onwed both though and all worked fine.

redrocker
04-05-2006, 01:45 PM
More oil in the remotes which means
take more to heat it up thats why I
like the remotes but thats me!!!!

IrideMHSC
04-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Ive got remote custom axis suspension and i like me... to me theres no real difference... i just think the remotes look kinda cool with the lines snakin out there

TBD
04-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Piggybacks will actually cool better. Because the resivour is actually connected to the rest of the shock it will disapate the heat better. With a remote resivour you wouldn't get any extra cooling of the oil. It does hold just a little more oil( like maybe a couple of thimbles full) but because the oil doesn't circulate it really doesn't help.

4strokemadman
04-06-2006, 09:02 AM
The downside to remotes is that the lines/fittings add a lot of restriction to the oil flow. It's really hard to eliminate this restriction at very high speed events. The main reason that the shock companies do not use piggybacks is cost and the ability to use the same shock on many platforms.

xsr_racing28c
04-06-2006, 09:34 AM
I have a negative comment about Piggybacks...

You can't run a swaybar with piggybacks, cuz the arms hit the lower part of the rezzies when the suspension is compressed. Other than that, i love em.. I have some Elka quadrate LT comp/Reb Piggybacks for sale if anyone is interested.. i had to get remotes for my setup and now went with custom axis remotes

mdidonne
04-06-2006, 10:38 AM
I have a set of Custom Peps, w/ remote rezzies on my 05 Raptor 660. I must say I like the look of the rezzies mounted to the frame. I think they have a better look than the piggybacks. Just my thoughts and opinions.

400exstud
04-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by adinocr7
For my rear I went with the Elka (sport/racing series) Remote Rezzie (45" hose). I had to mount the rezzie up front. Its works as good as it looks.

I only have the Elka Rec series shocks up front (w/out Rezzies). If I ever upgrade (add rezzies or get an Elka Sprt/Racing Series) I'll probably go with the piggy backs. I agree with both you guys . . . they are cleaner looking, out of the way and extremely close as far as effectiveness. Not to mention I really wouldn't care to have three different sets of rezzies clamped all over my frame . . . one is enough.

Elka Fronts / Part #E36
Elka Rear / Part # RR46CR

If you were to add rezzies to your rec. fronts your only option that you would have would be remotes. Elka told me this is because you would have to change out the entire top of the shock with the new piece that connects to the piggyback rezzies.

300EXrider356
04-07-2006, 01:13 AM
Well you guys have helped me alot, but heres my predicament(sp?) anyways, I'm thinking about getting the elka recs, but is the rezzies actually worth it, i know they help alot but idont do hard core motocross. I mostly do riding in fields then ill go to the track and screw around, I'm leaning towards the rezzies but I'm not sure.

Sjorge450R
04-07-2006, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by 300EXrider356
Well you guys have helped me alot, but heres my predicament(sp?) anyways, I'm thinking about getting the elka recs, but is the rezzies actually worth it, i know they help alot but idont do hard core motocross. I mostly do riding in fields then ill go to the track and screw around, I'm leaning towards the rezzies but I'm not sure.

I have elka recs on my 300ex and I race XC with them. Its a 1 1/2 hour race. Once you start riding, you dont even feel them fading cause you get used to it, and I acually ride better when they are hot.....:cool:

400exMO
04-07-2006, 01:03 PM
I had that same predicament. I ended up buying compression adj. piggybacks. I've rode hard for a good 30 mins at a motocross track and not felt hardly any fade. They were worth it to me. I'm not sure how the recs will fade compared to the stockers, but those faded in about 5 mins.

Also if you're planning on adding resevoirs it'll be just as expensive then and more time consuming. You might as well save up alittle more money and get them now.