PDA

View Full Version : should i get my quad service?

ThorRacing37
04-04-2006, 07:19 PM
this is all they would do for $170..
valve adjust..

cam chain adjust.
timeing adjust.
spark pluge replaced
coolant levels checked
engin oil replaced and oil filter replaced.
tire pressure checked
rims checked
axle tightness
check bracks and brake lights
lube ans adjust the chain
change fainal drive oil
check battery
check electrionicts
check cables
check clutch
clean fule screen
drain emissions collector
synchronize carb.
check all nuts and boilts
wipe down machine
testride

should i do it? is it a waste of money? if i do. should i get it serviced at 20 hours or 30 hours?

miller821
04-04-2006, 07:23 PM
I wouldn't worry about doing all of that....... You can probably check most of it, and do most of it yourself.. The only thing I would take it in for is for the vavles, cam, and timing.. Everything else I think you could probably do yourself.

JOEX
04-04-2006, 07:28 PM
You can do it yourself for less than $20

cam chain adjust. -N/A
timeing adjust. -N/A
spark pluge replaced $3
coolant levels checked -N/A
engin oil replaced and oil filter replaced. $13
tire pressure checked -Free
rims checked -Free
axle tightness -Free
check bracks and brake lights -Free
lube ans adjust the chain -Cost of lube?
change fainal drive oil -N/A
check battery -Free
check electrionicts -Free
check cables -Free
check clutch -Free
clean fule screen -Free
drain emissions collector ?n/a?
synchronize carb. ?n/a?
check all nuts and boilts -Free
wipe down machine -Free
testride -FUN!

ThorRacing37
04-04-2006, 07:39 PM
when checking the axle should i just see if its losse?

miller821
04-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Ya pretty much you would be paying them to check the easiest stuff, then you would be paying them to testride it.... Don't make since, you can do it within a few hours.. Just pull out the manual and go to the maintaince page, and check everything they say and your set...

ThorRacing37
04-04-2006, 07:40 PM
how tight should the chain be?... what oil and oil filter should i use and how would i change the oil filter?

miller821
04-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Ok, pull out the book on the chain to make sure... But just move it with your finger and you'll pretty much be able to see if its to loose or tight... The oil filter for Fram is CH6015, double check the book but i'm almost postive on that, and as for oil, you can run like hondalube or yamalube, or some other kinds, I run motorcycle oil made by vavoline 20W-50 and it works great. To change the Oil Filter, on your right side take off two bolts that are holding on a circluar piece, circled in red in pic... And put it in, changing the O ring, and putting it in correctly, with the letters facing towards you..... Double check some of this stuff, it says on the filter which way it faces, and thats the right thing to take off to get to it.... Any other questions?

ThorRacing37
04-04-2006, 07:57 PM
when u buy the filter does it come with the o ring?

miller821
04-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by ThorRacing37
when u buy the filter does it come with the o ring?
Yup. :)

ThorRacing37
04-04-2006, 08:07 PM
should i got to my local shop and have the valves done and all the engin checked over? or bring it to the honda dealer to do it?

JOEX
04-04-2006, 09:19 PM
I should have added $25 for a repair manual.

Also, if you're not comfortable working on your quad by all means take it to a shop but if you have some mechanical aptitude and use common sense the 400ex is simple to maintain.

jeremy_283
04-05-2006, 05:15 AM
OIL FILTER DOESNT COME WITH AN O-RING AND U CAN ADJUST YOUR VALVES ON YOUR OWN. ONE OF MY FRIENDS CAME OVER ANDJUST TO SHOW ME HOW TO DO IT HE HELPED ME MY FIRST TIME IT TOOK HIM ABOUT 20 MINUTES TO DO IT. coolant levels? i thought the 400ex cam chain had an automatic tension thing?

miller821
04-05-2006, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by extremejrowe
OIL FILTER DOESNT COME WITH AN O-RING AND U CAN ADJUST YOUR VALVES ON YOUR OWN. ONE OF MY FRIENDS CAME OVER ANDJUST TO SHOW ME HOW TO DO IT HE HELPED ME MY FIRST TIME IT TOOK HIM ABOUT 20 MINUTES TO DO IT. coolant levels? i thought the 400ex cam chain had an automatic tension thing?
Oil Filter does come with an o- ring that goes on that end cap.... At least Fram does, other companies my not.... But like JOEX said, if you know a little about quads then you can do most on your own.... But if you think you can't do it, then take it in and have them do it the right way.

94F450SD
04-05-2006, 06:53 AM
if you get the oil filter from the honda dealer it does not come with the O ring

miller821
04-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by 94F450SD
if you get the oil filter from the honda dealer it does not come with the O ring
What brand are those????? I know the ones i've picked up from walmart and from yamaha shop all come with the o-ring, but I guess honda might have a different company than fram.. But I would say get fram cause it works great and is only about $4 from walmart.

jeremy_283
04-05-2006, 08:03 PM
i have never seen or heard of wally world being in any connection with the 400ex besides the little diecast replicas in the toys department .......... ecspecially engine wise?...... fram? details...how u know its for a 400?

94F450SD
04-05-2006, 08:11 PM
dont know what brand the ones from the honda dealer are.ill have to look at the one i have at the shop.but i wouldnt use a fram oil filter on lawnmower.fram oil filters let metal particles and shavings go through them

miller821
04-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by extremejrowe
i have never seen or heard of wally world being in any connection with the 400ex besides the little diecast replicas in the toys department .......... ecspecially engine wise?...... fram? details...how u know its for a 400?
Well it says for motorcycles, and its CH6015.. Thats what they give us at the Yamaha shop, and it works fine, but ya pretty weird that walmart carries it...... But i'm not going to spend a ton on a filter so its the cheapest place to get it so thats where we get ours...

guinness77
04-07-2006, 01:03 AM
I was intimidated by the maintenance ned of things. Then I got a Clymer Manual. Now I feel stupid for burning so much money to have a pro do the basics.

Even a valve adjustment is a piece of cake. Heck... after doing it twice I havn't even bothered to look at the instructions. A 7th grader could do it. But until someone shows you or you teach yourself.... it's intimidating.

Don't be intimidated!!!! Get the manual and learn about it.