PDA

View Full Version : opinions on which way to go?

jas250r
04-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Finally ready to send out my rear axis shock for a rebuild. To give back ground info: 88 stock swinger and linkage, Lower spring cup broke in 2 (bought it that way, had hair line crack) so the shock got fully compressed, didn't bend shaft or anything. I want to convert it to zero preload to match front elka zps shocks. I heard good things about gt thunder so gave them a call, he was saying how expensive axis parts are, and also not to go with the zero preload spring kit. He said to use a adjustable strut to get the lower ride height, and i would have to measure somethings for him so he could set the shock up proper. He keep saying how it would be such a pain for me to measure things for him. and kind of gave me a range in price of around 300 but i think that might have included 80 or so the the adjustable strut. I would rather go the pain in my a** route to have it setup perfect. I don't race ride trials hard future track riding, few dune trips, don't have the money for an exotic linkage set up. Wondering if any of you guys have went this route, or even went with gt thunder? Also he kept refering to calling axis, just because the parts would be cheaper for me. but spending 50 more for the optimal setup in my case would be alright with me Help

jas250r
04-06-2006, 04:20 PM
well i sent it to gt thunder any way. I don't think that i'am really going to have to use that strut to lower very much. Any use durablue struts? did a search and read mixed opinions. Or when gt thunder calls me back should i say just do it with the spring kit? Even though he made it sound if use the adj strut he set up my rear suspension the best for what i have? Help

jas250r
04-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Beerock you and wilkin can buzz in at any time with your very well respected opinions!

Jester
04-06-2006, 04:57 PM
GT thunder likes stock shocks.. he can make a stocker work better than your axis.. Go on quad zone and ask about Laz's work.

when I can afford it, Laz is the way I will go.

wilkin250r
04-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Unfortunately, I'm more of a motor guy. I know a little bit about suspension, but not this in-depth.

I can only tell you a little bit about the lowering strut. I run one on my 250r with my flat-track setup. It does change the motion ratio, so you'll need the shock specifically set up for it. Also, with a normal linkage, your rear shock will bottom out before the swingarm hits anything. However, this is NOT the case with the lowering strut, my rear brake caliper will hit my exhaust pipe before the shock bottoms out.

I don't understand why he would suggest you use the lowering strut over ZPS, but there is one thing that IS certain. Laz knows more about suspension than I do. :p

Jester
04-06-2006, 05:52 PM
I wouldn't worry about the strut, he just doesn't like ZPS in the rear.. doesn't feel its needed.

jas250r
04-07-2006, 02:41 PM
this all makes good sense. starting not to fell so worried about the whole situation. I will leave it up to laz and report back when i've got the shock back on and get a chance to ride on it thanks guys

jas250r
04-13-2006, 11:51 AM
So i called laz back after i took some measurements for him. He said that the axis shock i have won't work. And explained how the shaft is an inch to short and body and inch 2 long. said it was a first generation axis shock, before they really knew how to set them properly for the 250r. So i inquired about just doing the stock shock for my setup. He said he could get everything but not shafts and to check mine out before i sent it to him. Further inspection of the stocker shows 3 or 4 small pits on the chrome. the location is about an inch above the bump stop. So probably not a great idea to have this one because of the shape. And if i buy a new one i have a useless durablue adjustable strut, probably useless any way i go now. I guess i will start to shop around for prices on a zps elka single rate fully adjustable? best price so far i found was 790 free shipping. I will never mess around with buying shocks off ebay unless they are brand new. I still haven't rode on the zps elka fronts bought off ebay. But these were bought from jannsen racing. it's not to early to start drinking is it?