PDA

View Full Version : is this a good set up??????

10-04-2001, 05:53 PM
ok i have a 2001 400ex that i plan to race soon. right now i have the WB slip-on and the k&n power kit. first i need new suspension because i blew my front shocks out. i really dont want to spend more that 500 for shocks so i was think the works 3 rate with rezzys. And then i was going to order tomorow a 440 kit and a cam. But wich cam the WB or the xr400? then some clutches and im not sure wich tires yet. do u think that this is a descent set up? i plan on racing mx

i got some pis of me jumping at the near by track but its of me hittin the smal doubles. but in the pic where nick is jumping the double i jumped that one but it aint on there YET.

so check it its www.geocities.com/e4r0i0cex

liltazz
10-04-2001, 08:09 PM
i race my 400ex mx i run 18 turf tamers and nacs grooved radials. the works shocks are good dont buy a 440 yet try a new carb, complet exhaust, i run a graydon and i like it not too loud, or just put a high compreshion piston and cam in. it costs 30 bucks a race plus breakage so start off small at first the best bikes dont always win.

honda400ex27
10-04-2001, 08:43 PM
I race MX also and i have 18x9.5x8 turf tamers, Front radials, PEP race front shocks, JD performance A-arms, PEP steering stabalizer, LRD full exhaust, renthal bars, Lonestar axle, burgard swingarm, champion beadlocks, AC racing Pro pegs, AC front bumper.......YOU WILL TELL A DIFFERENCE WITH TIRES AND SUSPENSION BIGTIME

400exRacerX
10-05-2001, 08:27 PM
I woudlnt get the 440 yet niether, start racing with stock engine components besides, carb, air filter, pipe....etc. then if you really like racing and are getting serious into it then get the 440. I wouldnt get the 440 personaly, i would only get it if my engine needed a rebuild.

Mitch400EX
10-05-2001, 11:12 PM
Before you decide on what you're going to spend your money on, ride and examine the tracks that you will be racing on. If it is not very technical, with few tight turns or off cambers, then going with mods that require tearing down the engine might not be a bad idea. If there is lots of tight turns, off camber sections, and/or big jumps, save the 440 kit and other engine mods and go with nicer shocks. I have (had) Works performance triple rates w/o rezzys in the front and the shaft on one of them bound up in mid air, bent 90 degrees and tore the mount off the A-arm upon landing. This was on a dune jump with 6 or 7 feet of air. I had a season of racing on the shocks before, but no really huge jumps. Getting a new clutch is a must, you'll need to feather it a lot on the MX track. Widening up your quad is also an extremly good investment, If you can afford to do it. I ran my stock tires last season, and they worked ok, but the guys with the holeshots could out corner me with ease. Also consider getting better brakes. Being able to outbrake people into the corners is a tremendous advantage that is usually overlooked. What goes fast should stop fast. I am fairly new to the racing game, but have learned a lot about racing in the past year. What you're going for right now sounds like a pretty good plan for racing MX, but I wouldn't skimp on shocks, you'll probably regret it later. Oh yeah, make sure you have nerfs and a good front bumper (most tracks require those anyway). Keep in mid Race fees will add up quickly, and stuff will ineveitably break along the way. Racing is still awesome though

Mitch
00' 400EX, FMF pipe/K&N power kit, busted up works performance shocks, renthal bars
#444 at SIR mx track