PDA

View Full Version : I got a question about a speaker box Please help

LuckyOxygen
04-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Ok heres the deal I have this box:http://www.theinstallationshop.com/ProductImages/car-audio/boxes/probox/car/2-10-SPB.gif

I have 2 memphis 12's in it now and it sounds ok, but my friend is givin me 2 more 12's they are type R's. Anyways, will it sound like crap if I cut 2 more holes in the box for the other speakers? I'm thinking it wont sound right, but I dont wanna find out the hard way so I thought I'd ask. Thanks!

quadrcr161
04-04-2006, 04:03 PM
yes it will not sound right. they work off of air space and require the correct amount to sound right. plus is your amp big enough to push 4 12's? plus that looks like a poted box, and when you port one it requires a whole different set up.

LuckyOxygen
04-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Thats kinda what I figured I guess ill get another box tonight. Yea on a 4ohm load it will. Its not that big, but at my local audio store they have a "wall of sound" and there is 16 12s and 4 6x9s off my amp. Its the rockford t3002 power....not a bad amp for 400 bucks

quadrcr161
04-04-2006, 04:14 PM
if you have any skill with a saw, and tools build your own box to spec. its not that hard and can build it to fit your specific speaker and car and can usually find the specs from the mfg web site. but running 2 different brands i would suggest against. each speaker has differnt specs and requirement from power to air space. also each brand has different set up where it works the best, such as free-air, ported and sealed.

LuckyOxygen
04-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Well I really appreciate it man, Ill prolly just sell them or maybe all of it....heck if i know

key4202003
04-04-2006, 05:17 PM
memphis makes a dual folded horn box, that looks simalar to the one in the picture. sounded real good with my two dual voice coil power reference 15's.

coolex
04-04-2006, 05:24 PM
or u could get another box and run 4 12s in 2 seperate boxxs stacked up :D :devil:

LuckyOxygen
04-04-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by coolex
or u could get another box and run 4 12s in 2 seperate boxxs stacked up :D :devil:

Puttin em in that like that tom. Should be cool, hopefully my windows stay intact...

TheMachine
04-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Run American Bass! They will out hit Memphis anyday.

yamablaster24
04-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by LuckyOxygen
Puttin em in that like that tom. Should be cool, hopefully my windows stay intact...

Dude, if the bass comp vans arnt breaking their windows your fine. Def. dont put them in the same box because i personally think it would sound better with just two. how many watts is your current amp? My brother has an 800 watt turned 1/2 way up and has his audiobahn 12's crankin. I think it could power 4 at full output quite nice. But his mustang only allows for 2.

Slinky
04-06-2006, 11:12 AM
So your going to mix match types of subs? Do you know the impedence on each of these subs? What impedence does your amp supply the most power at? You definately wont have a problem with your windows with that setup....my good friend was running 6 HCCA 15's in his chevy van for a while, biggest problem he had was keeping the roof from flexing. Make sure you dont overload that amp cause you could burn it up....also if you put too little power to those subs you'll sieze the voice coils.

kdub33
04-09-2006, 03:43 PM
i think the best thing to do is (depending on what type of music u listen to) if you listen to rap or hiphop, i'd go with a custom ported box on the 2 best subs you have. but if you listen to rock i'd be better to get a custom sealed. its amazing how subs perform depending on the box. i have sealed box and i listen to mostly rap and it sounds like crap, but i have a buddy with a 15'' kicker solo L7 in a custom ported, its prolly the best/loudest sub i've ever heard

MAaudioX10
04-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Mixing brands really isn't that big of a deal. It is when you mix sizes when the problems come out. However, it is true that different drivers perform better or worse at certain frequencies. If you are looking for something that just drops rearview mirrors all day....then get another box and drive yourself crazy....

If you are wanting to perform well then I suggest a single enclosure so, all the subs rest on the same plain. The distance from the sub to the truck matters. Keep in mind that the bigger the sub the bigger the sound wave. So, don't oversize the sub to the vehicle. Also, when running a lot of any kind of speaker you will lose dynamics....meaning it will becoming increasingly more difficult to get 4 subs to perform as well as 2. What is the Vas of these subs? This will tell me if they would be happier in a vented or sealed enclosure.....

Just do a little research...the information isn't hard to get. Good Luck